The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil pressure gauge sensor questions [merged] oil sender

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinracing

Probationary Member
Nov 13, 2002
nor_cal
All oil sender threads are merged here.

going down the road today i noticed my oil pressure gauge was reading nothing or zero depending on how you look at it..on my stock gauge..

i immediatly pulled over to check my oil and found that it and the rest of my car was fine..its still running fine and everything so i came home to check vfaq.com and it said that my sensor could be the culprit..

so my question is there a website or link to a page that will show my hw to check my sensor??? and or replace what is needed to read my oil pressure... or shuold i just say #### it and get a aftermarket gauge right now because its more accurate anyways?..

yeah im new around here so go easy on me..but i didnt think this was a dumb question or anything so thats why i put it here..

Sorry Defiant for jumping in, IF the wire is still connected, remove it and earth it to the engine with the ign on and the guage should read high, if it does read high the sender is faulty if it doesn't read at all the guage in the dash is Faulty.

Sure enough- it fell off. The connector has lost all friction, so I zip-tied it on.

The other wire coming from the same loom as the oil sensor connector comes from seems to be connected very insecurely (stripped and smashed in) to an object portruding from where the oil filer screws on. Anybody know what this is for and if I should try to connect it more firmly?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Good god. They sure don't give a shit when they aren't new anymore, do they? Get some push-on crimp connectors, snip off that abortion, crimp it on and install. That's the low oil pressure light sender, even more important than your oil gauge sender.
Fine who did that and give me a name. I'm in the mood.

Could have been the previous owner, could have been someone before that. I'll keep quiet cuz I know he uses these boards, and he bought a GSX with the money I gave him for this GST.

Think it'll even work still, being coated with a healthy layer of oil and all?

I'm thinking about soldering the oil pressure sender on. Is that a good idea?

While you're on here, stop by the other thread here and see if you can help me figure out where to attach the PS pressure switch wire.

recently i installed an electrical oil pressure gauge. it came with a oil sender unit but when i installed it the sender unit was bad. i havent had time to call the company to see if i can get another one, instead i put my stock unit on and attached the wire that runs from the gauge to the unit on the stock unit instead of leaving the factory wire attached. I'm wondering now if my stock sender unit is bad because the gauge always reads 100 psi jittering all the time, but when i rev the engine in neutral it goes to sixty. is the sender unit broke or is it impossible for the stock unit to read correct oil pressure on an aftermarket gauge?

The stock sender is just a varable resistance to ground based on oil pressure. Since it "goes to sixty" it sounds like it is working (does/did it work correctly with the stock pressure gauge?). But the new digital gauge sounds like it needs it's own sender (incompatable with stock sender) since it is reading not only wrong but also backwards (lower with higher pressure). Also if it didn't need it's own sender why did it come with one? Look in directions that came with it - sounds like you have to use their sender.
Another possibility is you connected to the oil pressure switch (small forward facing unit) connector instead of the oil pressure gauge unit sender (large rear facing unit) connector.

i did have the new oil sender unit that came with the gauge but unfortunately i fried it on accident so is there a place where i can get an aftermarket oil sender unit or what is the best solution. i hate to have an oil pressure gauge that doesnt function properly

Just got an aftermarket oil pressure gauage, Is there any reason why I shouldnt just take out the original sender, will it cause problems, set off CEL , anything? or just make my stock lame gauge not work?

thanks in advance

seeings how you have to put the new sending unit somwere -- ya, take out the stock one and install the new one.

LOL i dont want both, i was just making sure if I took out the stock one it wasnt going to piss anything off

Where can I get a oil sender unit. It's the thingy that the oil filter is hooked up to. I think the 90 model is different than the others. It tells the gauge in the car how much oil pressure it is running.

the factory part # is MD133273. and they list the same sender from what i could check on all 90 to 99 4g63 turbo and non-turbo engines

So it's only a factory issue piece? Thanks for the info. Mines have oil leaking around it and the gauge keep acting up.

I have a 4g64 and i really need some help i want to install my gauge i got it mounted etc but i dont know where to tap into the wire i heard that you have to buy an adapter for it is this true and if so how would i go about hooking it up. :dsm:

Put the new sending unit in place of the old one. If the new sending unit is a 1/8npt (most likely it is) then it will thread into the stock location. Dont forget to use the teflon paste and not the tape.

ok cool but where is the proper location of the wire, is it next to the oil pan or oil filter and what color is the wire?

SlowSpyder said:
Put the new sending unit in place of the old one. If the new sending unit is a 1/8npt (most likely it is) then it will thread into the stock location. Dont forget to use the teflon paste and not the tape.

why do u not want to use the tape.... whats the difference?

brygsx95 said:
why do u not want to use the tape.... whats the difference?

You can use either or. As for sending unit location, better off remote mounting the aftermarket oil pressure sending unit. The vibration from the block will kill that cheap sending unit within a few days. Mount it to something solid. Fender, firewall, anything. Don't mount it directly to the oil filter housing. Or you will be buying a new one very soon.

where can I get a sender unit for an Autometer Oil Pressure gauge?

can i get another stock one and wire it up or is that a no-no?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back