The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

oil leakin under boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy3824

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2009
lexington, Kentucky
ive been trying to figure where ive been having a bad oil leak from, it was pretty bad, but i noticed that it wasnt bad at all under "normal" driving conditions. but when i give a hard pull, i can smell the oil spewing onto the exhaust, to give an idea on how much oil is spewing out, my whole underbody is covered in it all the way back to my fuel tank. :hmm:

before i get to elaborate, i know I have had excessive crankcase pressure before all this because i was blowing my dipstick out. i have since put an oil catch system and replaced the pcv valve. obviously that had no fix to the problem :confused: I guess that matter should be in a different thread, but any tips there are appreciated.

So... back to the oil leak.. i had noticed that the oil was coming from the crank area (oil was evident on crank pulley) so i cleaned off the area and took for a test drive just to verify and there it was.. So surely i had a crank seal leaking. ehh no biggie i thought. Well, today i had the day off from work so i decide to go ahead and tear into the issue, and when i get in there, i see that the oil is not coming from that area! :hmm: i look up at the TB tensioner and it is just flooded with oil and my timing belt is soaked, but my camshaft areas are clean. Soo, this puzzles me, the only way that oil can get up on the tensioner bracket would be if it was squirted from the top part of front case seal correct? or am i mistaken? now would this mean that mean front seal is broken? i mean, arent those just paper seals.. this is the first time that i have teared into a dsm this far so if i am mistaken on something. please point me in the right direction and around my newbness :thumb:

My guess would have been the crank seal but it may be oil leaking out the balance shafts. Also take a look at the oil cooler under the alternator where the oil filter is and see if oil if dripping off of it. Watch your oil pressure next time you start it!!

It could be your timing belt tensioner leaking. The boost pressure may have nothing to do with your problem. It may be that when you hit a certain rpm the oil pressure is high enough to push through a seal. Boost pressure (as you have found out ) will pop your dipstick out thus relieving most crankcase pressure. So more than likely its oil pressure and not boost pressure causing your leak.

i should have mentioned before, but i do have balance shaft eliminator kit and i have fab a vacuum cap to go down into the oil dipstick to prevent it from being pushed out from pressure. So still i may be haveing that pressure, but that pressure may be going somewhere else.

the oil cooler hose is in good condition and is not leaking. i have not got to the front case yet, i ran out of time before getting my t-case out. but i guess im gonna need to look into fabbing an extra vent for my crank pressure.

Tell us what your oil pressure is on startup, idle, and while cruising. That will tell us a lot.

Yea, I had a nice oil leak under boost conditions similar to this and my oil pressure was SUPER DUPER high. But that's what happens with a built motor with BSE and no oil relief mods. Ported the OFH relief valve and no more leak!

well i currently have the timing belt off and all those goods. but from i remember, according to the factory reading, all was normal from when i did not have a oil leak at boost, aside from a slight drop in idle from the lesser amount of oil from the oil leak.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back