The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

oil feed question fp green

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikejesus

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 7, 2006
burbank, Illinois
a quick question, i know that i have to run the oil feed off of the oil filter housing. but i was curious if there would be any problem with oiling if i were to mount a t off the filter housing and feed both the turbo feed and the aftermarket mechanical oil pressure guage?

There should be an extra port on the OFH that has a allen head plug in it that you can use for the gauge if you remove it (and it is a BNPT thread so don't try a standard fitting in it). When you start hanging stuff off of the OFH, it shakes around and before you know it, it breaks off and then all of your oil pressure goes bye bye. I run my turbo off of the filtered port and run my gauge off of the unfiltered port with a -4an line, so it is remotely mounted by my Power Steering reservoir.

There is another solution. Just don't HANG stuff off of the OFH, it can be a bad deal. My son had a tee on his OFH and it did just what I said, luckily he was in town, 20mph and just shut it off which saved his DSM. :)

it is the forward facing, thank you guys for the quick reply. i was going to drill and tap an extra port but didnt want to remove the whole unit. and was curious if mounting 2 would affect the pressure thanks again!

thats pretty much exactly what i was planning on doing, than fasten the hose to something

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
So, this is no bueno?
It's solid so, I wouldn't I think that the weight of the line or anything else would be enough to vibrate and break. I know sh** happens

IIRC, that would be inadvisable, as the port you have the line coming of is the unfiltered side. Where your pressure switch is mounted is filtered.

You could do what I did, get a cheap vacuum block, Mount it somewhere on the frame/chassis, then run your lines to-and-from anything. The blocks usually come with 5-6 1/8" npt ports, which work perfect for oil pressure gauges, switches etc.

I ran a 4an line to behind my driver headlight 1ga. Then added a tee. One side has the gauge sending unit then the other side has another line to the turbo. Sending units attached to the ofh is bad. Vibrations from the motor can damage the sending unit or worse break off

IIRC, that would be inadvisable, as the port you have the line coming of is the unfiltered side. Where your pressure switch is mounted is filtered.

You could do what I did, get a cheap vacuum block, Mount it somewhere on the frame/chassis, then run your lines to-and-from anything. The blocks usually come with 5-6 1/8" npt ports, which work perfect for oil pressure gauges, switches etc.

I like that. I just have my turbo feed and a remote mount oil pressure gauge but your setup takes every bit of vibration out of that stuff. Nice! If my son hadn't experienced a BRASS fitting breaking off I wouldn't be such a prude about hangin shit off the housing. It could have been the end.

I see. Is there a cleaner way to do it?
Where you have yours mounted is where I plan on mounting my oil cooler.

I'm sure it can be done cleaner. I plan to redo mine eventually, but I needed the car to run that day, and my first sending unit died due to vibrations.

You can put the manifold anywhere you want, long as you can run a feed line to it, The just run your wiring to wherever you need. I don't see why you couldn't fit an oil cooler in the same spot, theres plenty of room ahead of the fender liner.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back