The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Oil EVERYWHERE.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DsmDanielson

Proven Member
Jul 13, 2016
Peoria, Arizona
So I know I'm supposed to put this in a different forum but I didn't know which, and this is a pretty noob question as there's many like it, however doing research shed no light for me. (My car likes to prove it's uniqueness everyday). So first, as the title states, there's oil everywhere. Coming from the exhaust manifold, coming out bov gasket, isc gasket, intake manifold gasket, tailpipe, you name it. Car still has power, and actually felt like it had some more power last night. My intercooler pipes have puddles in them, however my turbo is new with no shaft play, and I'm boosting only 14 psi. However I can't boost any higher, I even disconnected the wastegate vacuum line and still nothing more. Definitely a boost leak and from all the oil seepage spots where my answer probably is. I just didn't think It would only boost 14, but I could be wrong. I have a big 16g, and I don't hit full boost until about 4000, which isn't "horrible" but could be better, but I don't see how that could limit me to 14 psi. I have to put in a quart like every other day, so I'm praying it's not my rings. I do get smoke on deceleration, but I'm thinking it's because all the oil that builds up in my exhaust burns on decel. No smoke on startup, not even really while boosting, just on deceleration. The turbo is an eBay one, and at fist it would spool and sound like a turbo, now it sounds like it's gargling on oil in boost. Theres no shaft play at all. I dont have access to a leakdown or compression test as im on a budget but hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me Any thoughts?

Well eBay special sounds like the problem. Did your old turbo blow and if so it could have put oil in everything. Where do you have the oil feed coming from for the new turbo? Clean everything out that you can and see if it still does it. Have you checked the turbo for shaft play?

Well when my evo 3 blew i cleaned everything and this mess is better than the evo 3. No shaft play on new turbo. I seem to be getting excess blowby. I also have some cracks in my vc that weren't there before. Like I literally think the crankcase pressure cracked my valve cover. Dipstick doesn't pop up though. I just got The eBay special so i can rebuild my evo 3 well and weld some cracks and whatnot.

My drain is sealed with rtv. It goes from the oil pan to the turbo. My turbo feed line goes from the side of the block by the water neck to the turbo. My only guess is the rtv blocked up some of the oil drain passage and the slower flow is causing it to be pushed out the turbo seals?

I seriously doubt it unless you just shoved RTV inside the drain tube and even then I would think it would just be pushed into your pan. Nothing wrong with a little bit of black RTV + a gasket. I do it all the time for good measure.

If it really is that much oil going into everything, I would also say excessive blow by. Check your PCV valve make sure it's working properly and not blocked off and routed properly. Also check the fitting on the left side of the VC, it's supposed to be routed back into your intake. I also wouldn't be surprised if the seals on the turbo are toast however I don't think that much oil everywhere can be caused by a bad turbo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 111
Well I have a catch can going from my vc breather to my intake. Obviously not catching much of anything. I also have another check valve from the pcv and intake for safety measures so it can't be that.im beginning to think my oil drain is clogged up but im not entirely sure. Maybe i can find someone locally that can do a leakdown test for me

I would think it's the turbo or drain being blocked. What brand turbo did you get, I know it's a eBay speacial buy from what vendor. Get that evo3 over to justin or rebuild it, check out gpop shop for the rebuild kit. And if you use rtv use the black or grey it's the best for gaskets that see oil. And you can use rtv just use very little. I have it on my drain gaskets and never had a issue. The thing is to just use a very small bead or spread some on with your finger. Oem or felpro gaskets are the best if you ask me.

No I pulled it out just in time before the compressor turbines started scraping the housing. There's no signs of damage to the turbines or housing, it just has in and out play. Your right that the eBay one could have crappy seals out of the box, but it didnt, at least not at first. It sounded great until I redid my oil drain because it was leaking, so I threw some rtv on it. Not going to lie I just squeezed it on there, and about a day later the turbo sounded different. It sounded like it was gurgling in low boost and once I hit 10 psi it sounded like the normal telltale whistle. I sprayed a bit of seafoam in the turbine while it was running last night and went for a short drive and the turbo sounded a lot better, so I'm guessing when I put rtv in the drain, it clogged it, and now it's clogging the turbo.

i use rtv on my drain line as well... but anyways so reading the first post I immediately thought it has something to do with the pcv system as that is really the only place oil can enter the intake besides the turbo seals. and as far as oil on the outside of the engine, it very well could be coming from valve cover seal and it will drip down the whole engine.... just my thoughts

I seriously doubt it unless you just shoved RTV inside the drain tube and even then I would think it would just be pushed into your pan. Nothing wrong with a little bit of black RTV + a gasket. I do it all the time for good measure.

If it really is that much oil going into everything, I would also say excessive blow by. Check your PCV valve make sure it's working properly and not blocked off and routed properly. Also check the fitting on the left side of the VC, it's supposed to be routed back into your intake. I also wouldn't be surprised if the seals on the turbo are toast however I don't think that much oil everywhere can be caused by a bad turbo.
If the seals are toast, would there be any shaft play? I think my seals are gone, but I don't have any shaft play well besides the fraction of a bit when I came out of the box

Sounds like excessive blow by, you need to do a leak down test and "while your in there" do a compression test.

Additionally how many miles are on the motor and what viscosity of oil are you using?

A clogged turbo drain that 100% blocked might cause issues similar to those your describing but your pick shows plenty of room for oil to drain despite the liberal RTV usage. You need more info to narrow down your problem.

Best of Luck

Crank case vent system was the first thing I thought of. I come from the diesel world and the ford 6.4 powerstrokes had a really bad blow by issue so bad, you could take the oil cap off and if you tried to hold a piece of paper over it, it would blow it all over the place. I took my intercooler apart and had oil puddles all over just like you said, and as atmosphere cleaned them, vented The crank case to atmosphereinstead of back into the intake, and checked 2 oil changes later, intercooler pipes were muuuuch cleaner. Blow by was still an issue though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back