The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil/Coolant lines, and Tranny cooler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidmet

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2012
Aurora, Colorado
I searched... And searched, and searched some more. The only oil/coolant diagram I've seen are 1g non turbo. I'm trying to finish throwing the 6 bolt back together. I'm using a 1g therm housing with a 1g oil pump... I've gpotten a few hooked up, but others I'm completely confused on. Also need to know where the transmission cooler is mounted. I think it's the drivers side Fender well. I think it's a transmission cooler..... There are two nipples on the auto tranny and in the truck of the car had some sort of cooler with two hoses. I assume tranny. Thanks in advance. BTW 1997 Eclipse GSX AWD Automatic.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

sweet, got that mounted.... anyone know which line goes to which nipple on the transmission?

On the oil/coolant stuff, here's my major questions... on the 2g, the bottom line of the turbo goes straight into the engine block. On the 1g, where does it go? Also theres the one coolant (i think) input into the 1g thermostat housing (not the one that goes to the oil cooler) but the one next to the two sensors. Where does that go?

sweet, got that mounted.... anyone know which line goes to which nipple on the transmission?

It doesn't matter. The cooler isn't going to work better one way or the other.

On the oil/coolant stuff, here's my major questions... on the 2g, the bottom line of the turbo goes straight into the engine block. On the 1g, where does it go? Also theres the one coolant (i think) input into the 1g thermostat housing (not the one that goes to the oil cooler) but the one next to the two sensors. Where does that go?

The bottom line of the turbo on all DSMs is an oil drain to the pan. A 91-94 1G turbo thermostat housing has a coolant feed from the thermostat housing to the turbo and a coolant feed from the thermostat housing to the oil cooler.

1990 Coolant Hose Routing (with external/air oil cooler)

1991-1994 Coolant Hose Routing (with water-cooled oil cooler)

#25 is the oil return line.
#26 is the gasket to the oil pan.
#30 is the coolant return to the water pipe.
#33 is the coolant feed from the thermostat housing.

The unnumbered line on the top of the turbo is the oil feed from the head. It goes through the center section of the turbo, through #25 and to the pan as seen in this thread: Turbo oil return line leak, help!.

If you're using a NT water pipe, you aren't running any coolant to the OFH. Plug the line at the thermostat housing.

Ok so heres my big questions,
Im using a nt tstat housing and water pipe from a 1g
What happends if i dont run coolant through the water cooled ofh?
How exactly do i run the coolant feed and return? Do i keep the feed off the block?
Diagram please if someone has made one.. that would make this alot easier for future searchers
Im using a 99 split thrust block w/ 1g head
2.3 bottom end and built head

What happends if i dont run coolant through the water cooled ofh?
Not a whole lot unless you are road racing or running autocross. Oil coolers are recommended but not required for the daily driver, so long as "shut down" procedures are followed and the car is allowed to adequately cool before switching it off.

How exactly do i run the coolant feed and return? Do i keep the feed off the block?
I assume you mean coolant feed and return for the turbo here since the port off the block is the original turbo coolant feed. Either way, the combination of parts you have is not adequate to run coolant to anything, hence my last post. With a 1G non-turbo thermostat housing and water pipe, there are no feed or return ports at all. The only feed point available to you is the turbo coolant feed in the block.

Does your turbo require running coolant? If not, consider blocking the port in the block and moving on. If so, you're going to need some custom solution to return the coolant from it or buy some different parts to allow it.
Water cooled turbo without water (Merged 9-8) coolant lines oil

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back