The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Oem vs felpro vs ajusa composite head gasket.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Cuervo

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 7, 2004
Omaha, Nebraska
The composite head gaskets have proven themselves well worthy. Not only are they more forgiving than an mls or copper gaskets when it comes to sealing a not so perfect head surface to block but they can withstand some serious boost and can be use as a fail safe/fuse of sort, often being a better choice than an mls in some setups.

The reason for this thread is to know which of the above 3 composite head gaskets outperforms the next with the exeption of price.
According to jacksons, the ajusa composite head gasket is capable of withstanding 450hp. This is about the only thing that I could find about this hg. More info on this hg is very welcome.
So please post your experieces with these gaskets and compare which one can outperform the other.
Thanks.

I swear by Fel-Pro Products. They are hands down the best gaskets I have ever used. I was able to boost my turbo saturn @ 12 psi with one. I will not purchase anything other than a Fel-Pro or OEM. I only buy OEM because Fel-Pro doesnt have a few of the gaskets for dsms. (Blow off valve, Turbo oil drain line gaskets other than in a turbo gasket kit. You have to buy a 45$ kit to get the 2$ oil drain gaskets.

I have never seen one fail on a dsm. Never... The only reason that it should fail would be do to mileage, improper installation, or over boosting. And well, if you cannot install a head-gasket properly, or you do not understand the limits of composite head-gaskets, you don't need to be building your own engine.

I cannot really help with the Ajusa. I wish I could. If I were looking to go past a 300-350 hp street machine I would probably look into an Ajusa, or having my engine professionally built from the oil pan to the the valve cover.

I personally only use the OEM composite head gaskets but I have heard that the Fel-pros are just as good. I have never heard of the other one you mentioned.

Felpro composite is indeed a great gasket, as well as the oem composite. Yeah. I don't know anything about the ajusa hg. That's why id like for people that have used it or that have heard something about it to post what they know.

I have run Ajusa on the last 2 builds. I run a forged 6 bolt, evoIII and FP race manifold at around 15 to 20 psi. They seem to work well.
I use ARP head studs at around 85 pds.

Regards
Greg

Which felpro part number are we talking about. I'm in the market for another hg and looked at the felpro that advance auto sells and but everything I read on here talks poorly about them?

I haven't heard any bad reviews in regards to the felpro. Only that its cheaper than the Oem. We are talking about composite gaskets only and which one outperforms the rest. I had mentioned only the oem, ajusa and felpro since those are the only ones that I know about.
I contacted jackon auto machine for some information in regards to the ajusa composite head gasket, since they are the only ones that I know who sell it. (maybe someone sell it too. Don't know). Well they email me back and the following is what they told me:

The Ajusa is an excellent composite head gasket, it was originally designed for twin turbo charged 4g63 engines in Spain. We have used this gasket on engines making up to 450whp. No problem.

Now I was not aware that they made twin turbos for the 4g63. Maybe it was a gasket that was included with a twin turbo kit over there in spain by some performance shop/company. I don't know. Regardless if it was for a turbo charged, twin turbo or twin charger. This gasket is supposed to withstand 450whp with no problems. Now don't quote me on this but it seems like this hg could very well be a good candidate for those that are building there engines with the 1g rods and 2g pistons.
This is all the info I have on this gasket. If someone knows of another composite HG, please tell about it.
Thanks.

Just thought I'd add to this.

The Ajusa head gasket is also a common favorite among the starion guys. Its easily the most suggested headgaskt to use. I made around 350whp/450tqe on my 2.6 G54B at around 21 psi in my MPI Megasquirt 1986 Starion. And i beat on the car until the day I traded it. The engine was super strong, but everything else fell apart around it! LOL But seriously, I've never heard of any of the starion guys having head gasket problems with the Ajusa gasket.

A little late here LOL.
Guys, thank you very much for all your responses in concern to these head gaskets. This way people will know whats out there and be able to quickly change a head gasket without having to resort to a more expensive and less forgiving gaskets. Though having a perfect block and head surfaces are always a good idea.

Question though with the felpro and composite do you need to resurface the head and what not to get a good seal? Or is it one that you can just throw on but allow it to go through heatcycles?

I've used the OE composite and Felpro on numerous occasions. In fact, they're the only two head gaskets that I've ever used. I run the OE composite on my 7-bolt in my Eclipse, and it's held up great at 600 WHP. And I've used the Felpro on at least 6 rebuilds that I've done, including the 6-bolt in my Talon.

I have no experience with the Ajusa HG, but I'm sure if just as good to use as any other composite HG.

Question though with the felpro and composite do you need to resurface the head and what not to get a good seal? Or is it one that you can just throw on but allow it to go through heatcycles?
The head needs to be flat, but it won't require a specific surface finish like a MLS gasket does. Just make sure it's flat and clean, and you're good to go.

I talked to auto jackson machine about the ajusa headgasket. They told me that it was the same as OEM. I bought one and its looks pretty much the same as the oem. Its just slightly darker in color. But its the same thing. It's just harder to find one. The only ones that sell it that I know of are jacksons machine. So having this said, its easier just to get the OEM one or even the felpro. Why? well its seems that its harder to find an ajusa headgasket. They are also a bit more expensive than the oem or felpro. So if they perform exactly the same, then it's just best to get the one that's cheapest and closer to you.
Doesn't cometic have a composite headgasket?

This is all good info, but your cant really talk about HG's without talking about headstuds. A composite will get you alot further with a set of L19's then it will with a set of standard ARP's.

I boosted 35psi on my ARP's and a Mitsu composite but eventually the head lifted and blew the HG and torched my head, so now im going with L19's and a composite.

^^Agreed. I spent a full month with the Talon down in the driveway going over combinations, machine costs, gasket materials, brands, studs, etc.

Studs sold me on an OEM composite; I went A1.

So an oem Composite HG with some L19 studs holds up better than say a Felpro or OEM with ARP Head studs?

yes! You start pushings the limits of of ARP's with anything over 30psi IMO and I learned the hard way that this

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

can happen OMG

OEM 6bolt studs are purported to be better than ARPs. I knew I was lifting the head at 27psi on a SCM61, but thought ARPs could handle the strain. Stttrrreeeetch.

OEM 6bolt studs are purported to be better than ARPs. I knew I was lifting the head at 27psi on a SCM61, but thought ARPs could handle the strain. Stttrrreeeetch.

The stock headbolds in the 3000gt's, which are the same diameter and thread pitch as the 6-bolt dsm bolts, have gone 8's. Meanwhile people are lifting heads running 11's with arp's.ROFL

Wow so one last question. Say I want to avoid taking it to a machine shop if the head isnt perfectly flat. Would it be better to go with a OEM HG and L19 studs or will I need to have it machined?

And where would one find L19 head studs

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back