The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Odd shifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just noticed, about 4500 at 100mph. I'd just like to add that I notice a significant difference in "lag" between my awd and fwd autos. The awd feels like a slug sometimes, but the PO had the trans replaced by cottman and he had to bring it back a few times for leaks, and it does this weird drawn out shift between 2nd and 3rd so idk if it's the trans or the knuckleheads who put it in. Its one of those things on the bottom of my DSM to do list.
But yeah, the fwd hops off the line every time, though I had to fine tune my throttle cable (non-cruise) to get it just right where you get a slight roll from a stop without my foot on the pedal. Wihout that tiny bit of throttle plate opening it seemed too sluggish after i put my 16g in. Oddly, I also noticed my shift points changed slightly when I put a built motor in. In all honesty I love it much more than my old 5sp GST, but only after adjusting it a bit to get it just right. The old "fuzzy logic" mitsu trans is a hearty unit, and auto dsms are something people usually talk sh*t on until they drive one. unfortunately many people haven't properly maintained them over the past 20+ years. My buddy owns a DSM based business. He upgraded to an evoX awhile back with it's crazy ass over complicated trans and after driving my Tsi he likes the DSM shifting better. Just some food for thought.

BTW, I always keep O/D on. all my POs didn't, and I know a lot of people that keep it off. Personally I think the car drives much better with it on all the time, at any speed. Keep us updated.

At 3000, I am cruising at 65 mph in my auto car, in OD.
Limp mode is recognized by the transmission only giving you Park, Reverse, Neutral and Drive (3rd). No 1st or 2nd.
Thanks. I've never experienced it, so I figured it'd be good to know what happens if it happens.

Just noticed, about 4500 at 100mph. I'd just like to add that I notice a significant difference in "lag" between my awd and fwd autos. The awd feels like a slug sometimes, but the PO had the trans replaced by cottman and he had to bring it back a few times for leaks, and it does this weird drawn out shift between 2nd and 3rd so idk if it's the trans or the knuckleheads who put it in. Its one of those things on the bottom of my DSM to do list.
But yeah, the fwd hops off the line every time, though I had to fine tune my throttle cable (non-cruise) to get it just right where you get a slight roll from a stop without my foot on the pedal. Wihout that tiny bit of throttle plate opening it seemed too sluggish after i put my 16g in. Oddly, I also noticed my shift points changed slightly when I put a built motor in. In all honesty I love it much more than my old 5sp GST, but only after adjusting it a bit to get it just right. The old "fuzzy logic" mitsu trans is a hearty unit, and auto dsms are something people usually talk sh*t on until they drive one. unfortunately many people haven't properly maintained them over the past 20+ years. My buddy owns a DSM based business. He upgraded to an evoX awhile back with it's crazy ass over complicated trans and after driving my Tsi he likes the DSM shifting better. Just some food for thought.

BTW, I always keep O/D on. all my POs didn't, and I know a lot of people that keep it off. Personally I think the car drives much better with it on all the time, at any speed. Keep us updated.

I'm thinking about taking video of my shifts that way it can be posted for you all to see and ponder. I was originally against getting this auto gsx, but the deal was too good to ignore. I'm quite glad I bought it and despite being auto, I do enjoy it. I just miss the clutch and shift. There are times though that I catch myself trying to drive it like it's manual and have to remind myself it isn't.

I too always keep O/D on. I don't like how the rpms are higher without it. But overall, I hate how it's only a 4-spd, when I think they should have given it one more, even with O/D.

Well I do the same thing all the time without realizing it as well. Some people do the manual shift, though I've read it can destroy the trans. I do slap it into neutral (forgive me if you already know but you don't need to hit the button upshifting and from R to D -surprisingly a lot of people don't realize this) every time I go downhill. Although a bit more involved on a gsx you could always do a swap down the line if you really want, especially if you discover problems with this trans. The older I get with the more gadgets I shouldn't be playing with while driving I appreciate the auto. Also after I put in a depowered steering rack I've often thought what a PITA it would be with a standard trans.

(forgive me if you already know but you don't need to hit the button upshifting and from R to D -surprisingly a lot of people don't realize this)

I'm actually not sure what you're talking about. I have done the "shift to neutral going downhill" in my wife's car before I learned that was bad. I'd even keep it in neutral with the parking brake when sitting in drive through lines and parking lots. Not anymore. Always thought it was okay to do. Haven't and won't do it with my gsx.

My old spyder didn't have power steering for several years (broken, not depowered) and it was horrible with manual trans. My wife got tired of dealing with it when I let her drive, so I eventually fixed it before doing the awd swap.

There's a guy here who had a spyder and wants me to help him with ths conversion, but wants automatic. So he offered to find a good donor with a manual for me to take the drievtrain parts if he can have my auto parts. So I tild him yeah, but only if the donor's parts are in good condition and don't need internal servicing. So that might happen sooner than I expected. But, until then, I still want my auto to work flawlessly, just in case this doesn't work out.

OK now I gotta know why you can't pop it in to neutral downhill. I always do it. For years. I know manual shifting an auto all the time (while still using the TCU) or launching is bad on these old trannies but what's wrong with popping into neutral? I thought I was doing her a favor, I drive down a mountain everyday and these trans downshift annoyingly and seemingly improperly and when flying down at 50 mph and the TCU kicks into 2nd it creates resistance I can't see being better than a neutral roll. Ironically I noticed it much more on my fwd when I first put a catless exhaust on. If it was standard I'd do the same. If my brain wasn't fried I could remember where I read it but I could've swore these fuzzy logic tcus downshift as soon as the throttle plate /tps closes, so to bypass that pop into N. I really don't see how that could have a negative effect, same as drive thrus, traffic, etc. as long as you pop back into D properly. Bah I can't remember.

I meant you don't have to hit the button when popping from R to D, just slap. Also from 1-2-N-D and D to N. I slap that bi*** all day. Haha just saying almost all autos are like this and many people still fiddle with the thumb button on top of the shifter.

Good luck on the swap, so youre helping do an awd auto spyder? that sucks you cant use the fwd trans assuming thats whats in there already. As I'm sure you know make sure the xcase matches the trans, autos changed from 95-96 to 97-99

Side note, awd/talon Spyder conversions are great, but has anybody done a 1g Spyder? I've seen one with a targa top but it was done terribly.

Last edited:
This isn't the website I saw this video on, but it's the same one I saw a while back on facebook: https://lifehacker.com/five-bad-habits-you-should-avoid-when-driving-automatic-1763891123

I've also avoided doing anything like this just because of the shifting that I've noticed. No need to break it if it is in bad condition.

Yeah, if we do this with his Spyder, he'll be getting my transmission, tcu, wire harness, t-case, rear diff, and all the axles. In a way, even though I'd basically converting mine for free, I almost want to keep all my auto parts if I ever want to swap back. I'm kinda torn between keeping it and converting it. As much as I love having manual, this morning it came it handy to have the auto. Today's my wife's birthday, so I went to get a few things including flowers. Obviously there's really nowhere to safely put a vase full of water and flowers and if it was already manual, I never would have been able to just hold it to keep it upright. So, now I'm not totally sure about doing it.

Just my 2¢ but I noticed the new wix filters are a different design. I always used wix because of quality and fitment (there were fitment issues with a few parts store filters reading reviews, except NAPA/wix) but the new design seems chintzy as hell. Super lightweight plastic. I put one on the Spyder a few months ago with no issues but the one waiting to go in my Tsi may not even go in. They're only like $12 but comparing an old and new one is saddening. And I'm not the type to not change the filter because it wasn't changed in 10+ years

As I stated before, the benefits of auto pop up everyday . Imagine how the day would've gone after you spilled shit everywhere. If it ain't broke...
And although I agree on not manual shifting an auto (unless of course you have a shift box) I'm still gonna continue neutral downhill. I known that wasn't your original source, but its completely vague and the fuel savings is a moot point. You can tell when to properly shift back into gear, and pause a second before hitting the gas to prevent that clunk. The difference is huge on my fwd, not as bad on awd but def noticeable, so I like to think Im actually helping my old beat up tranny (insert joke here )

Last edited:
Auto AWD's are getting so hard to find, you sure you want to swap. They are easier on parts but I understand wanting to shift.
Just my 2¢ but I noticed the new wix filters are a different design. I always used wix because of quality and fitment (there were fitment issues with a few parts store filters reading reviews, except NAPA/wix) but the new design seems chintzy as hell. Super lightweight plastic. I put one on the Spyder a few months ago with no issues but the one waiting to go in my Tsi may not even go in. They're only like $12 but comparing an old and new one is saddening. And I'm not the type to not change the filter because it wasn't changed in 10+ years

As I stated before, the benefits of auto pop up everyday . Imagine how the day would've gone after you spilled sh** everywhere. If it ain't broke...
And although I agree on not manual shifting an auto (unless of course you have a shift box) I'm still gonna continue neutral downhill. I known that wasn't your original source, but its completely vague and the fuel savings is a moot point. You can tell when to properly shift back into gear, and pause a second before hitting the gas to prevent that clunk. The difference is huge on my fwd, not as bad on awd but def noticeable, so I like to think Im actually helping my old beat up tranny (insert joke here )

When changing filters, we have found a variance in WIX where you need to use shorter bolts or the originals will punch a hole right thru the VB viens, so when changing filters, BE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT BOLTS FOR THE NEW ONE. My son fubar'd the VB I had just put a Translab 175 in by not noticing that, so a used VB later and changing everything over to it, we finally had his Spyder going again.
Just want to point that out guys!

Good to know about the filters. I haven't yet been able to change mine because of my work schedule, which impacts a lot of things I want to do. But I finally have tomorrow and Sunday off, a full weekend for the first time in longer than I can remember. I am going to my friend's shop tomorrow evening to do a few things to my car like a blt, leakdown, and a compression test with a different tester, so I may just go pick up a new trans filter and atf so I can get that done and out of the way. Will probably change the t-case and diff fluids too. Although I've been wanting to change out the atf and filter, I've been a little more at ease not getting it done as soon because the fluid still looks pretty good. I know that's not the best thing to go off, but it's what I've done. You guys got anything else I should check out while I'm doing all this?

If I do keep the auto, I will end up getting a shift box and 3G shifter so I can have both (well, sorta).

Another reason I've wanted to go back to manual is the lack of a 5th gear. Is there any way to change that with the auto? I've looked around here and there at different mods from vendors for this transmission, but they all seem to be race mods, and not necessarily just everyday improvement of driving mods. Like can a different valve body make gears more comparable to having 5 gears, or do we have vendors that offer completely different gear sets that add an additional gear with a new planetary set or something along those lines?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back