The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

O2 sensor wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteTsiAwd

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2003
Terre Haute, Indiana
I posted this in the problem diagnosis forum and didnt get no response so I will try here.
Ok well my O2 sensor has never worked in my car. I thought it was due to a bad O2 well I bought a new Denso O2 and i went to put it in and realized the wires are not the same color. The colors are as followed:
Car: Sensor:
(2) black (2) black
(1) red (1) blue
(1) white (1) white

Now, in my eyes that is how it should hook up, but it does not. I tried reversing the blacks and leaving the blue w/ red and white w/ white. But didnt work. Tried completly reversing everything else and nothing works. What will happen is on my logger it will either read 4.98V, or 0.00-0.01V. I does NOT cycle. When reading the 4.98V, it starts low, like .32V, and goes straight to 4.98V and never goes back down.

I really dont know guys, this is the second O2 sensor I have tried and I have gotten the same thing both times.

So here what I am asking. Will someone look on their 1g and see what colors they have on both car wiring harness and O2 sensor, and tell me, also what kind of O2 would you have.?
Also, what else could be the problem? Anyone have anything similar happen to them etc...

Please guys, I know someone can help, I havent been able to properly tune my car since I got it (almost 2 years ago).

Thanks in advance!

Hey Cody! I thought that was you buddy. Long time no hear! :laugh: :p

Ok, someone must have f*cked up somewhere since 1G turbo cars use a 4 wire system. There should be TWO white, ONE black and ONE grey (on the O2 sensor side) and ONE red, ONE white and TWO black on the car side. :thumb:

Ok, you hook them up like these:

O2 sensor side.................Car side.
Grey--->White.
Black--->Black.
White--->Black
White--->Red.

Looking at both connectors with the "connector lock" above. The first two pins are on top and the next two are below.

Aight? Peace. :thumb:

Hey Mike! Ya long time no hear. Odd how you are the only person that seems to have a 1g with an O2 sensor :rolleyes: I think my O2 is weird b/c i ordered it for a talon, not and eclipse. So far everyone that i have talked to said that I should of ordered one for a eclipse, not a talon. Hmm

Well you think its possible that the 2 black on the O2 could be the 2 white that should be there. And the grey could be the blue, and the black could be the white? I'm going to try it like that when i get out of school. I'll post back and let you know what the dealeo is.

Thanks man.

Cody, it shouldn't matter either way if it's a universal O2 sensor. You just do the "cut & splice" using the old connector back into the factory harness. I'm assuming you didn't buy OEM. ;)

The 4 wires are basically 2 grounds, 1 heater wire (aka Power-12V) for the sensor and one for the signal. That's all. In case I miss the thread and you need any more assistance, just e-mail me at my S/N @yahoo.com. My PM's are always turned off. :p

Later..

Yo Mike. I love you man. Haha in a non-### sort of way, of course. But i got it figured out. Turns out that the blue on my O2 is the Grey on a normal one. Hooked it all up like you said and its actually normal! Well its cycling what I mean, i need to do some MAJOR tuning, but I still have a bad boost leak and bov so those are next then its time to tune, again.

So you looking forward to track season this year? You got anything new thats not top secret :p ?

Later,
Cody

WhiteTsiAwd,

Glad you found the right combination. I'm going to put this in as a quick reference for anyone looking at a later time.

Here is a schematic of the O2 sensor intermediate connection plug. The diagram shows as if you are looking at the O2 sensor side, and looking straight into the end of it's plug. The orientation of the O2 plug is that the external guide pin is at the 12 o'clock position, and the internal groove is in the 6 o'clock position.

On the car loom side the #1 and #2 wires are the O2 sensor wire and it's respective ground and they are within their own seperate shielded loom. The #3 and #4 wires are the 12v and it's respective ground for the heater, and they run loose in the main loom.

Attachments

• O2 sensor schematic.jpg
    O2 sensor schematic.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 63,419
I got a question about the 2 black wires, Would it cause any issues if I accidently had the 2 swapped, since them being the same color and all Im not positive if i got them correctly wired. I would imagine since there both grounds and all it wouldnt matter, but please confirm

From what I am seeing the two black wires are both grounds. So no it shouldn't hurt anything because they both are the same thing.

mastadogg2 I got a question about the 2 black wires, Would it cause any issues if I accidently had the 2 swapped, since them being the same color and all Im not positive if i got them correctly wired. I would imagine since there both grounds and all it wouldnt matter, but please confirm

My schematic above is for a 1G 4G63. The 2 black wires are grounds. The "grounded shielding" around the O2 sensor wire and it's respective ground, is to keep outside interference out of that circuit.

If in fact your looking for the 2G O2 wiring you might try this thread. I think someone has the info there.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40536

Tom

terefic181 said:
My schematic above is for a 1G 4G63. The 2 black wires are grounds. The "grounded shielding" around the O2 sensor wire and it's respective ground, is to keep outside interference out of that circuit.

If in fact your looking for the 2G O2 wiring you might try this thread. I think someone has the info there.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40536

Tom

appreciate it tom.

LA97GST said:
From what I am seeing the two black wires are both grounds. So no it shouldn't hurt anything because they both are the same thing.

Thats what I was thinking to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back