The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

#NTRR

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Went to the Columbus Ifo race with my car to run the FIP class on Sunday. Had the car leaving really soft most of the day to save the drive train(stock t case still). Car went 9.87 first pass letting off at the 1/8 to check the tune. Turned the 2step up a little for the second qualifying pass and went 9.05@167. Next pass turned it back down a little and went 9.41@165, then 9.02@166. Ran a supra in the finals that had went 8.5x's earlier in the day, so we turned the 2step up again. The car was trying to spin, started bouncing, but still ended up running a 8.74@167 to his 8.51@173. Once I get my tcase in I'll be able to turn it up a little more out of the hole, it only 60' a 1.42 on that pass.
Click the HD button on the vids.
874at167 - YouTube
8.74@167 - YouTube

Love this car and build thread! Car moves out! Looking forward to more progression and more updates!

Have a super99 otw to try out on the car. Should be interesting to see how it compares to my old dinosaur 74mm.

76mm in the t3 housing.

Do you know other differences between these 2 turbines beside the size? I wonder how the JB Super99 (aka HTZ GT4299) compare to the BB unit performance wise as the JB uses GT42 turbine.

Looking forward to see the differences with the switch.:thumb:

Do you know other differences between these 2 turbines beside the size? I wonder how the JB Super99 (aka HTZ GT4299) compare to the BB unit performance wise as the JB uses GT42 turbine.

Looking forward to see the differences with the switch.:thumb:
I'm not sure. I would assume the larger turbine would cause the power to come in slower but be more efficient up top. That's what I'm trying to get away from now. I have a smaller turbine housing on the way for the 42r, going to see how much that helps the bottom end/effects the top end performance. Finishing out the season with the 42r. I'm hoping the super99 helps bring the power in sooner, and still have enough top end to trap in the 170+ mph range :D If not I'll send the 42r in for the 4205 treatment and spray the car a little more down low to compensate LOL.

I'm not sure. I would assume the larger turbine would cause the power to come in slower but be more efficient up top. That's what I'm trying to get away from now. I have a smaller turbine housing on the way for the 42r, going to see how much that helps the bottom end/effects the top end performance. Finishing out the season with the 42r. I'm hoping the super99 helps bring the power in sooner, and still have enough top end to trap in the 170+ mph range :D If not I'll send the 42r in for the 4205 treatment and spray the car a little more down low to compensate LOL.

I'm really hoping that by the time I'm in the market to move up FP will have offerings in the 80mm range. Granted my sport is a bit different, so I don't need it to come in sooner. The car will be spending some time at drag strips over the next couple of years as I learn the new setup to get ready for the full bore pulls.

Curious to see how this holds up to your cast 102 wheel!

Kevin was kind enough to share some backpressure data that I found very impressive.

This is a T3 footprint turbo at 47psi making jam to the tune of ~170mph traps and only 1.2:1 Drive:Boost ratio by 9500rpm, all of which going through a mere 3" DP!

I'm really hoping that by the time I'm in the market to move up FP will have offerings in the 80mm range. Granted my sport is a bit different, so I don't need it to come in sooner. The car will be spending some time at drag strips over the next couple of years as I learn the new setup to get ready for the full bore pulls.

Curious to see how this holds up to your cast 102 wheel!

Kevin was kind enough to share some backpressure data that I found very impressive.

This is a T3 footprint turbo at 47psi making jam to the tune of ~170mph traps and only 1.2:1 Drive:Boost ratio by 9500rpm, all of which going through a mere 3" DP!
I've spoken to Kevin about that and that's what made me want to try one out. Although I didn't realize he was only on a 3" down pipe, that's even more promising! I kind of want to go ahead and put it on, but I feel it'd be pointless this close to the end of the year.

I've spoken to Kevin about that and that's what made me want to try one out. Although I didn't realize he was only on a 3" down pipe, that's even more promising! I kind of want to go ahead and put it on, but I feel it'd be pointless this close to the end of the year.

I have to think some of that is attributable to Kevin's setup (manifold/cam type and timing) but honestly even with that said those numbers still speak volumes about the combination of housing design and wheel aero.

Have to agree with you about making the change now.. but then it makes for a good back to back if you just swapped the turbo only and whatever bits are absolutely required to plumb it.

It'd be a scramble.. at least up here. Everything is going to be closed by me in the next two weeks unless we get some freakishly nice weather.

Man, everybody and their brother is switching to the FP Super99. I can think of 4 of us that are running or going to be running one with a Bradco converter.

Congrats on your IFO placing!

Man, everybody and their brother is switching to the FP Super99. I can think of 4 of us that are running or going to be running one with a Bradco converter.

Congrats on your IFO placing!
Seems to be a pretty promising turbo. I knew Chris ginev had one, who else does? His car is the only one I've seen running one so far. He better go 8's on it this weekend!

I have to think some of that is attributable to Kevin's setup (manifold/cam type and timing) but honestly even with that said those numbers still speak volumes about the combination of housing design and wheel aero.

My manifold is just my compound turbo manifold with one of the WG ports blocked off, and cams are just my trusty old FP4Rs which aren't anything crazy. My setup is pretty basic, I'd be surprised if anyone couldn't duplicate the drive pressure numbers I've seen. I haven't heard any numbers from anyone else though either. I'd like to push this turbo up to around 1.5:1 and see what it picks up, but we're running out of time up here too. This Wednesday looks like rain all day, leaving next Wednesday as the last chance to test. I'm looking forward to seeing the results on your car Aaron whenever you get a chance to test it. Looking at logs from last week, this thing spools ridiculously quick even when I leave at low boost.

The super99 showed up earlier this week. It's amazing that a turbo so much smaller then my 42 can make damn near the same power. I also got a hold of a tial 1.03 housing for my 42, that should help the bottom end tremendously from the 1.30. Plan is to finish the year on the 42, which is only one more local race that's a 8.5 tire no prep. Possibly one more 1/4 mile tnt. Then over the winter get the manifold done to put the super99 on and see how it compares.
null_zps6835bc41.jpg

Now that the seasons over, it's time to get some weight out of this thing. Also going to make some suspension changes.
Race ready without driver
null_zps688fb53a.jpg

With driver
null_zps0dc5eb21.jpg

First change to get some weight out will be making a tubular k member.
null_zps066ea53e.jpg

null_zps2a130a59.jpg

It's a little more extreme then the old one. When I have spare materials laying around and nothing to do, well you see what happens :)
null_zps31099c0f.jpg

null_zps9ce809c4.jpg

Have you seen the adjustable bullhorns on some of the V8 turbo cars lately? I think they are using CO2 and an AMS-500 to tilt them from nearly vertical to down and back after they have the front planted 60-120' down the track.

I like the material you guys used for the fascia/mask.. any chance you'll share what it is/where you found it? I'm contemplating re-doing mine and making some matching side skirts to go with for aero.

Have you seen the adjustable bullhorns on some of the V8 turbo cars lately? I think they are using CO2 and an AMS-500 to tilt them from nearly vertical to down and back after they have the front planted 60-120' down the track.

I like the material you guys used for the fascia/mask.. any chance you'll share what it is/where you found it? I'm contemplating re-doing mine and making some matching side skirts to go with for aero.
No I have not. That's pretty interesting. I wonder what kind of mechanism they use that allows the exhaust to tilt and still stay sealed? If vp import didn't smoke so bad I wouldn't have one on my car anyway, I just do to keep the smoke away from the lights. The material on my front fascia is powdercoated aluminum sheet. I get it from a local place, Kentucky clutch. They carry it in 4'x8' sheets and it's right at $100 per sheet.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back