The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Not sure what to do :/

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayTeeGST

Proven Member
Feb 25, 2015
San Diego, California
So I had everything set up to pull my motor out this weekend. I thought my bf set thing's up with his dad so I can use his garage and cherry picker. Come to find out the day of prepping I can't use his garage. I think I have a blown head gasket or idk if it's a hose connected incorrectly. Either way I don't have the things I need to pull my motor or a place to park my car . I already got timing kit an radiator and awesome silicon coolant hoses . And a few other parts . Can I get inputs on if I should wait to do a rebuild put my extra block, crank shaft ect, in storage an save it for later and eventually get another head and pistons ect for a better build, an in the mean time just do the head gasket and replace the radiator and hoses ?! Please help I need to figure it out by tomorrow . Lol .

Okay so I just remembered something . Cause my car runs so good and my cooling system is only thing contaminated. Look's like a chocolate milk shake . But all my coolant hoses are spongy and my oil cooler hose is like so soft and slimy feeling well all the coolant hoses are. And also when I got the car I was told the radiator was clogged havent replaced yet, but it never overheated after the thermostat was replaced . Which was the next day, cause after getting the car it did over heat but I never let it get over 3 quarters on temp gauge . But yeah my car runs great oil leaks like crazy but already got a kit got top end gaskets and like I said timing belt kit new silicon coolant hoses all of em and new radiator if I replace all this will it fix my issue ?!

I'll probably do the compression test this weekend.

I am thinking oil filter housing thingy . Before my spindle would loosen my oil filter. Causing me to lose all my oil happened 3 times luckily I am some what mechanically inclined cause I was driving one of those times notice car acting funny all of a sudden and pulled over and all the oil came out any who that hose been contaminated really bad I believe the oil cooler hose ?! It's was soft an you can tell was slimy and also trying to slip off the little part it was connected to . But I forgot about replacing it .

Oil leaks from cam and crank seals and was a valve gasket but it was replaced . I attempted to do the gaskets and timing belt but that's when I noticed the coolant being contaminated I automatically assumed was head gasket went out .

chocolate milkshake coolant? ive seen coolant turn a tan color from rust but chocolate color sounds like oil is mixed in. If you drain some and let it sit for a while, the oil and coolant will separate with the coolant resting on top of the oil. That will be a sign that a head gasket could be blown.

Spongy/slimy hoses? could just be from all the leaks you have but go with steel braided lines on your oil cooler if you want to avoid that.

You sure you didn't accidently crush the oil cooler when reinstalling the center piece? Oil and coolant will mix if you do. If car runs well and does not overheat you may be planning more work than needed.

Ima rent the tool today and start doing coolant test, compression test and leak down . How exactly do you do a leak down ?! Never did one . I'll take pictures cause ima start removing all the coolant hoses and drain everything . And where can I find a steel braided line for the oil cooler ?! I didn't tighten it down my friend did while we were trying to figure out why it keeps loosening. I do remember his saying he tightened the bi*** down . Ugh . But it took 3000 mile when it turned into the milkshake and it happened after I replaced a turbo cooling hose . Idk I just want to keep my DSM on the streets LOL .

Considering he said he tightened it down really tight I would check the oil cooler first and see if that's where its mixing like pauley said. Leakdown test is really easy. Just look up a video on it and it will explain everything.

Rule out the cooler.

You also dont need a stainless line. Replace the coolant line and fix whatever is leaking. The hose is soft and slimy because its had oil contamination for a long time. That one right there by the cooler is known for that.

I am gonna looks at my car tomorrow . And hopefully the only thing that happened was it was contaminated and my block/head is still good . But I ordered silicon coolant hoses are those better then the rubber ?! I am for sure the previous owners didn't care about this car .

Lol well fml LOL . I just got them in today haha . So far I did my compression test I surprisingly got good results, starting from the left side was 180, 176, 174, 168. Don't have an air compressor to do leak down. But I'll probably end up doing that next weekend. Going to check my oil cooler, and fix my shift cable need like 2 clips. The damn previous owner used a nail to hold the shift linkage together . Flushing radiator system tomorrow an changing the hoses and fixing whatever need's to be fix with oil cooler . But my compression is better then I thought so what would be suggested for a next move ?!

168 seems a bit low to me, but I'll bow out to more experienced DSMers on the matter. I'd say take care of what you have now, flush the coolant and oil, replace with known good fluid, If this is your daily driver I would keep an eye on it, if it takes weeks of driving every day for something to show in either oil or coolant then at least the problem isn't catastrophic.

Given the above statement replace the oil cooler, flush and change fluids and run it. I wouldnt even bother with leakdown at this point. Chocolate milk.....if head gasket were blown that bad I would expect it to show up in compression. You could always pull the oil cooler and cap a coolant line. Run a little compressed air through it. If any air comes through oil passages youve found your culprit

Run compressed air through where, the oil cooler ?! So with just compression result's, I don't have to do a head gasket yet ?! I don't drive my car as a daily anymore since I noticed the coolant problem. It is a back up car right now. Been preparing for a head gasket or over haul . Lol . This would help if I don't have to, cause I have to save to move soon . What is the would be the minimum spec ?! And the max ?! Can't find accurate spec .

I don't have the service limit offhand, (Google) Pulled from DSMtalk..

2.0L 4G63 Turbo engine
Compression ratio 8.5:1
Standard compression 178 psi
Service limit 133 psi

If that is correct then your compression test would be good.. I'd start looking elsewhere, I have to agree with the other guys, make absolutely certain there are no leaks.. Is the oil cooler integral to your radiator or is it a separate unit? I'm not sure how 2gs are setup with the oil/cooling system, if it is integral it is possible a bad radiator could be the culprit.

Its got the same oil cooler you do integral to the oil filter housing.

Katy take the oil cooler off the car. Its a closed unit so block off one the coolant ports and apply a few lbs of compressed ait to the other side. It should hold pressure. If it leaks from the oil side you found your problem. I dont think there is anything wrong with your car given what information you provided. Test and youll know for sure.

The guy I got the car from said it possibly had a clogged radiator. But like I said it doesn't overheat . But I am getting a flush cause my friend can do a free flush on Sunday's after the flush I'm going to replace the radiator, hoses and thermostat (again). I'll check the oil cooler I probably will keep it sitting until I check and replace oil cooler. I am planning to do the timing belt/water pump/top gaskets and cam/crank seal's next weekend. Idk if I should hold off on doing the radiator/hoses and thermostat until I do that next weekend ?! Sorry if theses are dumb question's.

I don't have the service limit offhand, (Google) Pulled from DSMtalk..

2.0L 4G63 Turbo engine
Compression ratio 8.5:1
Standard compression 178 psi
Service limit 133 psi

If that is correct then your compression test would be good.. I'd start looking elsewhere, I have to agree with the other guys, make absolutely certain there are no leaks.. Is the oil cooler integral to your radiator or is it a separate unit? I'm not sure how 2gs are setup with the oil/cooling system, if it is integral it is possible a bad radiator could be the culprit.

Thank you that make's me feel a bit more comfortable. My last car was a "worse case scenario" kind of car so I think that's why I jumped to conclusion to do head gasket or a rebuild .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back