The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Not sure if I dropped a bolt in my timing cover...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msisto

Proven Member
Jun 30, 2018
Rochester, New_York
Just finished doing a timing belt job on my 98 GST. I was putting in the top timing cover, and had to remove a 16mm bolt from the valve cover (the previous owner never ran with a cover, but I try not to tempt fate). As I was removing it, I dropped it, but I didn’t see where. It was the bolt near the front of the car. Just as I was taking it out, it fell. I didn’t see where it went, only heard it hit something. I felt the likelihood of it going in the cover was slim.

Being dumb at 11:15pm, I turned the car over. Thought I heard a grind at first start, so I switched it off before it really even cranked once. I panicked and partially took off the middle timing cover. Didn’t see anything. Went under the car and took of the crank pulls and unbolted the bottom three cover bolts. I pulled out (what little I could) and nothing fell out. Crank plate looks fine. Looking in through the crank access hole, I didn’t see the bolt. Then I started and ran the car twice more and it ran just fine with no odd sounds. At this point, is it safe to assume it fell somewhere else? I should have know by now if it fell down there, right? There aren’t too many components, so it should have gotten stuck or fallen to the bottom, and I saw/noticed neither. Am I being extra paranoid now?

The ONLY way to know for sure is to completely remove the covers. You're asking us to speculate based on a start condition. We cant know any more than you. I wouldn't have even cranked it.

You’re right, sorry. Kinda dumb of me. Just got worried. I think it’s fine, but I’ll pull the covers off this evening to make sure

I found it. All the sounds I heard were just from me panicking haha. After taking off the timing covers, I found it chilling on top of where the water pump pulley enters its casting... which is outside of the timing covers...

So, I didn’t have to take them off after all if I had seen that, but it’s okay. Now I can rest assured that everything is fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back