The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

General Not happy with the lc2.....or sensor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SasaniFab

Proven Member
Dec 1, 2013
Mexico, Connecticut
Like the title says, I'm running the lc2 with the Bosch 4.9 lsu sensor. I am going on my 3rd sensor. The first sensor went because of race gas, yesterday I went to drive my car and I'm getting a error 8 message , this sensor is only 5 months old and has only seen e85. The sensor is installed at the correct angle. The only thing I can think of is that because I only drive the the car weekly at best the condensation collects on the sensor and destroys it? I have used meth injection but I can't see that effecting it. Maybe I need to remove the sensor from the exhaust when I leave the car?

Sorry to JUST KEEP hopping into your threads. Lol!

But I TOO just had the same problem. Error 8 (going on second sensor). Was completely fine. Daily'd for a month? Maybe? Sat for a few weeks.... Dead. F***ing bulls*t. I had an LC-1 for YEARS, no issues WHATSOEVER.. From daily, to track, to storage, and back...

Sorry to JUST KEEP hopping into your threads. Lol!

But I TOO just had the same problem. Error 8 (going on second sensor). Was completely fine. Daily'd for a month? Maybe? Sat for a few weeks.... Dead. F***ing bulls*t. I had an LC-1 for YEARS, no issues WHATSOEVER.. From daily, to track, to storage, and back...
I'm starting to think that they are cheaping out on the sensors. Easy way to make some money. I'm starting to get frustrated.

Where are you getting replacement sensors from?

I have an mtx-l and get the error 8 message sometimes. I've never replaced the sensor, just restart the car and it'll go away. For the mtx it's a sensor timing issue. If the error code is the same for the lc2 I'd think you have one of two problems. Either you're overheating the sensor, or you're experiencing large quick swings from rich to lean and the controller is picking that up as a timing error.

Just go to your local parts joint. $50 bucks:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You've got to have an underlying issue. There's no reason you should be cooking them that fast. I've had the same sensor on the same LC-1 for years.

How old is your controller, and where is it on the car?

Same sensor I buy. My LC-2 sensor is about 6" from the V-Band turbo exhaust outlet and I haven't had problems. The only time I changed it (and didn't have to) is when I toasted a turbo and had oil fogging the road the whole way home, so I changed it, just because.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It comes with a basic Bosch doesn't it? Ive been using one all summer with O2 simulation and running it in the O2 housing. No issues so far.

I had a sensor issue and controller issue on the LC1 but mine turned out to be a power wiring issue so it was a simple fix, but it needed its own power and could not be tapped from anything else and i have had the same sensor for the last 4 years i think. Its in the DP before the flex section

The first sensor lasted a long time until I started using race gas and replaced it with another sensor. I have the bung welded in underneath the car before the exhaust gets to the transfer case \- it angled like that if the dash is the exhaust it pitched up at a 45 from centerline. The controller is mounted in the cabin. We will see how long the sensor lasts this time.

the correct sensor for the lc2 is the...#17025 , the 17014 has the larger clip diameter over the 25. You cant buy the 25 in the store

Well my LC2 uses the 14 and I have no issues with it and it is 6-8" from the turbo outlet. I changed it once when I smoked a turbo is all and it reads dead on with link. I believe there is a difference in how far they read between each other tho. Just info.

silicone (rtv) ...lead (as in racing gas ) oil and condensation kill 02 sensors ...genuine bosch sensors can last a season or two in 2 stoke applications (snowmobile) ...as long as it is getting power to heat itself to operating temp...that takes about 20 to 30 seconds

Well my LC2 uses the 14 and I have no issues with it and it is 6-8" from the turbo outlet. I changed it once when I smoked a turbo is all and it reads dead on with link. I believe there is a difference in how far they read between each other tho. Just info.
so some lc2 controllers came with the lsu 4.2 and some came with the lsu 4.9.....their website shows the difference clearly

Attachments

• product_image.jpg
    product_image.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 195
No, all LC-2's come with the 4.9
The LC-2 and "all the latest generation widebands are compatible with either sensor."

So we can use either sensor... That's REALLY good news for us! All you have to do to run the other sensor, if you want, is to buy the sensor cable for the 4.2 or 4.9 (and buy the sensor itself obviously).

Last edited:
No, all LC-2's come with the 4.9
The LC-2 and "all the latest generation widebands are compatible with either sensor."

So we can use either sensor... That's REALLY good knews for us! All you have to do to run the other sensor, if you want, is to buy the sensor cable for the 4.2 or 4.9 (and buy the sensor itself obviously).
That's makes sense, thanks for clearing that up. I might buy the cable so I have the option.

No problems, I have 2 cars with LC-2's and used LC-1s before that. Never toasted a sensor sitting in the stock o2 housing location. They get old over many many dd miles, but that's normal and not related to any quick failure that I can tell.

I want to put an update to my issue. So the new sensor I installed stop working after a day so I started to get suspicious. I went through my wiring and it appears that the ground im using is not the best for my application. The gauge was stuck at 22.4 even after calibrating it. I was using the 6mm hole above the ecu ground, I was also using it to ground out another sensor. After removing the ground and moving it the sensor is functioning again.....

What's the new grounding location? And what is the total length of ground wire?
Also, are we referring to the ground wire on the LC-2 unit?

What's the new grounding location? And what is the total length of ground wire?
Also, are we referring to the ground wire on the LC-2 unit?
yes, the ground off of the lc2 unit itself, I had the ground on the aluminum housing where the radio slides into. I had my fuel pressure sensor ground there. Now that I changed my location it started working again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back