The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved Noise Only In 1st & 2nd Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackStieben

Proven Member
Feb 11, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
I have a '97 GST and very recently a loud thwaking noise ( I believe is coming from the drivers side) only when I'm accelerating somewhat fast in 1st and 2nd gear. If I let off the clutch slowly in those gears, it doesn't make a noise. 3,4,5,R are all fine. When I heard the noise, I replaced the CV boots and steering rack boots as they were ripped, and the wheel hub and bearing. The bearing was shot on the drivers side. After that I changed the tranny fluid with pennzoil synchromesh (no metal was in the old fluid). I assumed that would fix the problem but it didn't. I then noticed that my plastic covers for the timing belt were a bit loose and rubbing on the PS belt and a little on the timing. I tightened them down so no more rubbing from up top, but to no avail. Still the grinding thwaking noise. It sounds similar to something rotating maybe and hitting something else. I decided that the TB covers were only hitting from those gears because the torque of the engine was moving it forwards then back to normal. When I get off work I'm going to check down by the harmonic damper and check all the motor and tranny mounts to see if they're bad. Is there anything else that could be causing this issue? No one else seems to have the exact problems I'm having. Thanks in advance :thumb:

Last edited:
Yeah even though it seemed like a pain in the ass then, I'm super glad I got all the other stuff done. The new boots are good since anything could've flown into my steering rack and surely screw me over. Plus one of the wheel bearings was shot anyways. So all in all it was a good lesson for me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back