The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

No wastegate divider + o2 dump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean d

Probationary Member
Dec 15, 2002
Salisbury, Maryland
Hey guys, recently I had been having boost control problems with my internally gated 50 trim. When I went to check the wastegate actuator, I noticed the arm was completely rusted and the end broke off the flapper. So I decided to ditch the internal gate and purchase a Punishment racing o2 housing with an external wastegate vented to atmosphere.

Today I pulled the turbo and removed the flapper. However, after the fact I noticed this PTE SCM50 was one of those from the factory where they completely removed the divider between the wastegate and turbine, presumably to reduce boost creep with the internal wg. Am I wrong in thinking this setup isn't going to work? I'll just constantly be dumping exhaust out of the o2 dump? I'm guessing this will be super loud and will cause spoolup issues.

If this is the case, I'm wondering if I can possibly weld in a divider and have the setup work. It would probably be cheaper and easier than buying a new turbine housing or switching up my wastegate positioning. If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post a picture.

Are you referring to the twin scroll divider inside the turbine housing? Or are you saying the internal wastegate flapper hole is missing the flapper/Door?

It’s not going to work. Weld the flapper shut and weld a wastegate flange to your manifold. The o2 housing/external wastegate setup is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen. For $800 you get pretty much none of the benefits of an external wastegate.

I've attached a pic of the housing. Honestly the reason I was going with the o2 wastegate was that it was more cost effective and more common. I picked up the setup for less than a few hundred bucks. I was under the impression that in order for the manifold wastegate to be effective, it would need to be on the collector and not just slapped on one of the runners. I can't really afford to drop a grand on a tubular manifold with wastegate.

Attachments

• 0729181226.jpg
    0729181226.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 82
In current condition that setup wont work with the external o2 wg setup you bought. I would source another turbine housing, @JusMX141 may be able to help you out.

You could always put the wg on the manifold like @donniekak suggested. many manifolds have them on the runner, its not ideal, but its functional especially if it's a street setup.

Yeah that certainly could be an option if I could source a housing for a decent price. I was also wondering if it be possible to just weld in a piece of flat bar like this? Making sure to match it up with the gasket and machine it flat.

Attachments

• 0729181346.jpg
    0729181346.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 48
Problem with that is welding cast. Itll have a high likely-hood to crack unless done correctly, and even then theres a chance it could with dissimilar materials.

I'd try to find another housing personally, even getting another one and having it machined would be better IMO.

Yeah that makes sense, my welding skills are subpar anyway. I guess I need to id this turbine housing so I can search for one. The full model of the turbo is a PTE SCM5031e. I believe it is .63 a/r with a 76 trim turbine. I've attached a few pics if anyone can help me identify it. If sourcing one of these is too expensive I'm probably better off selling the o2 housing and searching for a new manifold. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 0729181714.jpg
    0729181714.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 0729181715.jpg
    0729181715.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 0729181715a.jpg
    0729181715a.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 45
You can't run a dump on the housings that Precision ruined with those ridiculous housing modifications...and unfortunately those types of turbos are about obsolete so finding one with the divider intact may be difficult.

Well that's unfortunate, I love the turbo and has zero shaft play. I guess my options now are to find a stock flanged exhaust manifold with wastegate that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Either that or buy another similar turbo and try to sell this one to someone with a manifold mounted wg. Oh well, the search begins. Thanks everyone!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back