The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G No Oil to 3 & 4 rod bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM Chase

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2011
Senoia, Georgia
Replaced my main bearings and rod bearings, bs deleted, had great oil pressure at idle, within two miles it destroyed the thrust and rod 3 and 4 bearings, had enough play to physically move up and down, had Loud knock, rod caps on 3&4 were discolored from getting hot I assume, 1&2 were normal color and no play. Confused I cleaned the entire motor out And had oil pressure how did it kill the bearings?

What was the original reason for the rebuild? You replaced bearings but didn't say why they needed to be done. I would suspect that the tolerances were not correct. Just because it was a factory crank does not mean that the bearings would automatically fit. There is the possibility of debris in the motor but it sounds more like a clearance issue.

Can't use dial calipers to measure accurately enough on crank & rod journals. Must use micrometers & or bore gauge. Most likely your measurements were wrong.

What measuring device are you using? Also are you 100 percent sure that you didn't mix and of the rod caps up.

i think:

spun bearing goo from the balance shaft was hiding somewhere and plugged up or restricted certain oil pressure passageways once the fresh oil pressure got to it.

did you send the block to a machine shop to have it hot tanked? it's very difficult to clean out the complete oil supply at home in a garage.
i screwd that one up before..... now i hot tank everytime i build. paranoia keeps you safe.

That could be a possibility but highly unlikely, in the event that they are mixed up how do you know which ones go to which rod.[DOUBLEPOST=1410834122][/DOUBLEPOST]
Did you have the big end of the rods checked, how was the color on the caps the first time. I think the big end is out of round.
Color was normal all 4 caps the same color, no discoloration, I believe it was trash from the previous failure clogging crank passage, now my crank is a boat anchor and likely the rods too.

Last edited:
That could be a possibility but highly unlikely, in the event that they are mixed up how do you know which ones go to which rod.[DOUBLEPOST=1410834122][/DOUBLEPOST]
Color was normal all 4 caps the same color, no discoloration, I believe it was trash from the previous failure clogging crank passage, now my crank is a boat anchor and likely the rods too.

It is impossible to tell which cap goes to which rod without using a bore gauge to measure the rod with the cap on it. The best way to make sure that you don't mix them is to remove them one by one and leave the cap on until you are ready to install them one by one, or to stamp the number in the rod and the cap. As for the crank being clogged, i find this unlikely because there would have to be a ton of debris in there to completely clog the passage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back