The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

No oil pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetenvy

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 3, 2011
Port Charlotte, Florida
Few months ago car jumped timing, had all components in head replaced. Did head install job, timing, after car is all put together I tried to prime the oil system bumping the key a few times and never received any oil pressure. The injectors are unplugged and no spark plugs in the car. What are some things I can look at before saying it's the oil pump. Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

What method are you using to determine there is no oil pressure? The stock gauge won't register anything with a few bumps of the key. An aftermarket one probably won't either for that matter. If everything was fine before timing jumped, and you installed the timing belt correctly, everything should be fine to start it.

In order to test the pump you have to remove the timing belt and spin it with a drill.

I was using the stock gauge and did not see anything .... the timingbelt was done by Nissan tech that I trust but he wasn't sure if the engine prime or not and didn't advise me to start it thinking the oil pump is not working...... again he is a Nissan tech so I don't know how well he knows 4g63 t motor

Even if you were to hold the key to start and it just cranked, you still wouldn't see any appreciabe oil pressure. To actually prime the system, you need the belt off and your spin the oil pump with a drill. It takes a good amount of rpm to get oil up to the head anyway, which is where you focused your work.

That being said, as long as all the components were well lubricated when they were assembled, you can start it right up. When the engine is off and sits for a bit, all the oil generally flows back into the pan anyway over time. Same thing generally occurs when you do an oil change and drain the pan "dry" or let it sit for days/weeks/months.

The stock gauge also takes a bit of time to register any pressure at all, regardless of how unable one is to determine what needle position is what psi.

If you weren't getting any *actual* (not *indicated* as a sender and gauge would tell you) pressure, your pump would be completely toast.

Did you determine why it skipped in the first place?

I tried to prime the oil system bumping the key a few times and never received any oil pressure.

You need to do a little more than just bumping it a few times to see oil pressure. You should see oil pressure after cranking it for 3-5 seconds. As long as you used assembly lube there's really nothing to worry about.

Thank you guy for all the feed back... The only thing is we never found out what caused the t belt failure .... so this time I used the oem hydraulic tensioner and not one for advance auto parts also choose a different mechanic , gates belts replace Crack timing covers

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back