The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

No fluid after pulling tranny drain plug

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgio213

Proven Member
Sep 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Like the title says, there was barely a dribble of fluid when I removed the drain plug in my 1g AWD 5 speed tranny. How much trouble am I dealing with. The input and output shafts are free of play and spin easily with no noises or anything. The shift linkage is working and moving through the gears. Hard to tell if either of the axle shafts have leaked but they're being replaced, and tranny will be refilled with MT-90. Is it worth trying to run this transmission? Is there anything else I can inspect to see if its wrecked? Or should I just cut my losses now. Ive never ran this car just got it as is and attempting to get it back in order. I'd hate to put this on the brand new motor to find out its junk and just rip it out again. Thanks for any input.

Purchased non running?

I would inspect the trans and transfer case extremely thoroughly when removed, scrub them down and paint them to inspect for cracks.

On a non runner it's not shocking. You can try to click through the gears while spinning the input shaft, or using a small camera to inspect inside, but the best answer is to ask the last owner

dammit, now pic attached...

Attachments

• Tranny plugs.JPG
    Tranny plugs.JPG
    488.4 KB · Views: 86
Yea I was thinking of at least peaking in there, but I have never messed with a transmission internally so I got cold feet. I'll at least pop it open to look for any obvious signs of damage though, and see what happens.
Its time to get them feet wet LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back