The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

no clutch pedal pressure unless i pump it

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motrmaniac

10+ Year Contributor
May 19, 2008
Islip Terrace, New_York
alright recently my clutch pedal has been acting weird. if im crusin down the highway and go to push clutch the pedal will go right to the floor and barly dissengage the clutch. i would have to pump it up a few times before i can get pressure again. it also does it in the morn and after the car has been sittin for a little while.is it the slave or master that would casue this?

You have a slow leak in the system. The master or slave can be the culprit.

Check the master by following the rod from your clutch pedal to the firewall. If it is wet/oily, that's where the leak is coming from.

Check the slave by going under the car and pulling aside the little boot that covers the rod which pushes on the shift fork. If it is wet/oily, that's where the leak is coming from.

Be sure to also check the entire length of hydraulic lines from the slave all the way back to the master. It's rare, but sometimes the line cracks or a fitting is leaking.

You should replace both master and slave at the same time since they both see about the same amount of wear and tear. Also consider buying a stainless steel clutch line, which will replace the entire length of hard lines from the master to the slave, as well as get rid of the useless clutch fluid reservoir.

77665d1194760899-where-slave-cylinder-i-need-bleed-my-clutch-img_0305.jpg

There is a nipple on the slave cylinder that can be loosened to bleed fluid. (Seen here with the little rubber cover on it)

Open that, and have somebody press the clutch pedal to the floor and hold it, then tighten the nipple back up, then have them pull the pedal back up. Repeat.

Keep an eye on the fluid reservoir(up on the firewall) and make sure it stays full, you'll have to add fluid as you go. Just keep doing it until only fluid comes out and no air. Once that happens, tighten the nipple back up for the last time, and pump the clutch a few times and see if it's better. :thumb:

Had the same issue a few years back ..... check the fire wall and under your floor mats for clutch fluid. If there is, change the master cylinder out. If not just try replacing the fluid and bleed the system.

Dude The Exact Same Thing Happened To Me I Drive Down The Hwy And I Go To Shift And The Clutch Stays At The Floor I Had To Pump It. I Replaced The Slave And Master Cylinder And The Clutch Problem Was Fixed 100% And It Was Cheap Replaceing Both Cylinders

Of course it's going to feel good, because you just bled it.

The easiest place for it to leak is the seal on the master cylinder. Save yourself some trouble and stick your head under the dash. You should see some clutch fluid around the seal. Otherwise, it'll keep leaking out after you pump the pedal and eventually your floor will be pretty wet.

The clutch system isn't that complicated, just went through a clutch disengagement fiasco with a 420a guy...

Don't try to circumvent the problem by bleeding if it's leaking, if it is you'll have to replace the part no matter what.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back