The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

no boost in 1st gear??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizz99

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 21, 2005
Zeeland, Michigan
I have a weird problem. My car wont really boost in 1st gear. The boost gauge will go up to 0 and the car will start sputtering. Also, I don't feel much on the butt-o-meter. Second all the way thru fifth gear is fine though. Oh yea, it still blows off in 1st gear. Anyone know what could be the problem?

blizz99 said:
I have a weird problem. My car wont really boost in 1st gear. The boost gauge will go up to 0 and the car will start sputtering. Also, I don't feel much on the butt-o-meter. Second all the way thru fifth gear is fine though. Oh yea, it still blows off in 1st gear. Anyone know what could be the problem?

First thing first, make sure to do a boost leak test.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

Make sure you don't have any boost leaks anywhere from the turbo compressor housing to the intake manifold gasket, make sure you dont have any exhaust leaks anywhere before the turbo including the wastegate. You shouldnt have that problem on a 16g unless there is something critically wrong with it.

Then you had a leak somewhere and you need to fix it and put the hose back

I'm running 16psi. I did a boost leak test at 20psi and there are no leaks from turbo to intake manifold. I also soaked around injectors. It will get past the throttle body. Is that correct? The only thing I hear is slow air movement in the head. I soaked everything and I fixed every leak it had (pretty much every single seal). The reason I put a hose between the BOV and intake was because it was stalling after rev (thinking it would help but it didn't). At the time I had V2 but I installed V3 a couple of days ago. Now that I have V3 I'm use the idle air clamp so it won't stall. I removed the hose yesterday and drove it, and it has boost again in first gear. I don't understand how I'd have a boost leak. Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back