The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G No battery light/low voltage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Lipford

Proven Member
Jun 22, 2016
Canton, Michigan
So my car died the other day and I found some loose wires to the pigtail 4 pin harness that plugs into the alternator. I have checked the 100 amp fuse many times and have battery voltage across it. If my battery light is not coming on at all can this still be a bad alternator? I have fixed all the wires on the pigtail and the output voltage running is from 2-10 volts on the alternator. So for some reason, maybe voltage regulator or ecu? Will a bad alternator cause the battery light to stay off ? Thanks

Yes, I can jump the car and starts fine. If i charge the battery it will drive for a good hundred miles but I will notice that my voltages will start dropping and eventually will die. I checked the voltage at the alternator and it's changing from 2-10 volts. I took the alternator to autozone and they said it's bad. Shouldnt my battery light be coming on though? I don't want to buy another alternator and fry it because of some other problem.

Weird factoid about DSMs: The battery charging circuit is not complete if the dash indicator bulb is burned out or missing. Make sure whatever event happened didn't blow your dash bulb.

Alternators have always been a problem with these cars due to the high heat from o2 housing and the power steering above it. It's probably just a bad alternator that won't charge the battery; hence the battery only lasting 100 miles or so. I'm not sure about the battery light though.

Does your battery light comes ON when turning the switch to the on position?, if it doesn't then you have a bad bulb.

If the alternator tested bad then it's bad no questions asked, now the wire that was loose at the alternator plug needs to be fix in order to have all Working properly.

Replace the alternator and go from there, let us know how it does.

No the light doesn't come on when I turn the key forward. I'm working on getting another alternator and let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the input.

Yes I realize that but I was curious if the bulb is getting voltage from the alternator ? Can a bad alternator cause the bulb to not work ?

Where is this generator relay? after doing some searching I thought the 1g was the only ones with the relay. Anyone have a picture ? What wires I can trace to it? Thanks

So I found where the relay used to be and its missing. I have voltage on one wire. Appears to have been missing for awhile.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 199
Ok so I found this and put new connectors on it but nothing.. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 204
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back