The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

NGK Bigger spark plug wires. whats the point?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better fuel economy, more spark. Stock work just fine... but the theory behind better wires is this:

MOre spark gets to the plug, therefor burning more fuel and air. Burn more fuel and air, get more HP and Torque.

If you buy new wires though, they should be checked with a mutimeter to make sure that they all have a similar resistance. Higher resistance wires wont spark as well. I've bought wire sets, and find that out of the box, usually one would have a much lower resistance then the others like it was defective.

When you put more spark into the cylinder, you can burn more fuel or air, but you have to tune everything to work right together. If you are running lean, gotta add more fuel... conversely if the opposite is true.

--Scott

get tayors they are alot cheeper and have a lower resistance than magnacore.

yeah i ment taylors, but i was talking about the red 8mm ones, but im sure those will perform just as good if not better since they are 10.5mm

hey i just bought ACCEL® 300 PLUS THUNDERSPORT wires wich only have about 150 ohms of resistance, compare to about 15k ohms resistance from stock ones. i just put them and i can feel the diff. no need to spend alot on wire unless you have a higher igniotion system. even if you got a coil pack these will do just fine. and they arn't as much. just my .02:thumb: :dsm:

I've heard nothing but good things about Magnecor. You get what you pay for.
Taylor is ok. Had issues with them popping off the plug.
NGK is close to stock. They are better, but the price doesn't fit.

Originally posted by Addict
I've heard nothing but good things about Magnecor. You get what you pay for.
Taylor is ok. Had issues with them popping off the plug.
NGK is close to stock. They are better, but the price doesn't fit.

:thumb: Magnecor's are great! I have used them in my DSM, delSol, and civic si and they have always been reliable. NGK's had a major problem popping out for Honda's, not sure about DSM's though. I hear Accels are pretty decent too. I'm a Magnecor guy but they are just plug wires, so don't expect any performance gains.

Magnecor wires are very good, but we are currently running the Accel wires, with zero problems. We have actually found that they sit far better in the spark plug well and on the coil pack than Magnecor. And you can't beat the price!

Originally posted by indo69
hey i just bought ACCEL® 300 PLUS THUNDERSPORT wires wich only have about 150 ohms of resistance, compare to about 15k ohms resistance from stock ones. i just put them and i can feel the diff. no need to spend alot on wire unless you have a higher igniotion system. even if you got a coil pack these will do just fine. and they arn't as much. just my .02:thumb: :dsm:
These seem like good wires I got a set for $39 from Summitracing.com and they do advertise 150 ohms/foot vs. 15,000 ohms/foot from NGK, plus you can get them in red, yellow, or blue. I had a bogging at 13 psi and up from my old Bosch wires and these cured that immediately I got all my missing power back, Ive had em on about a year and still feels strong.

Originally posted by Talonman
These seem like good wires I got a set for $39 from Summitracing.com and they do advertise 150 ohms/foot vs. 15,000 ohms/foot from NGK, plus you can get them in red, yellow, or blue. I had a bogging at 13 psi and up from my old Bosch wires and these cured that immediately I got all my missing power back, Ive had em on about a year and still feels strong.

I have Bosch wires on and I'm going to swap in my new Accel 300+ wires, I hope I'm as lucky as you were with the result.

Originally posted by elementalwindx
What does getting bigger spark plug wires do for me? is it come kind of generous HP gain over stock wires? or what?
More resistance to leaking spark along the wire, and less chance of inducted spark in adjacent wires.

I'm suprised that no one has tried making there own set of wires. A setup of wires made of 4 gauge wire would look impressive. :laugh:

Originally posted by PhoenixRPR
I have Bosch wires on and I'm going to swap in my new Accel 300+ wires, I hope I'm as lucky as you were with the result.

I installed the Acccel 7920R plug wires along with NGK BPR6ES spark plugs...problems all solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back