The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Newbie(to be or not)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djaux

Proven Member
May 29, 2014
Myrtle Beach, South_Carolina
http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/cto/4556769750.html

Ok, I know this guy., he's wanting to get rid of it. He has a tuned out Dodge Srt(I think that's what it's called)., he's had this car 4 a while, but just looking to get rid of it. Mind you I have my own 96 eclipse 420a now, that I have been working on., Eventually going to mod myself.
My question basically, would it be wise 2 get this one., there r actually a few things wrong w/it. I was going to take it for a test the next day after he posted it, n he sent me this.
His message to me:
I left the house man and with my girl I don't think I will be able too. Today I drove it around put a new isc and readjusted the tps the the car started getting a jerk in reverse and is like stuck in 3rd at take off. I think it's a bad tps since the transmission computer gets it's signal to be able to shift so I'm letting it go for 2k out the door. I got a guy from Florida saying he's really interested and might drive up here tomorrow and take it.
Now if I switch it from automatic to manual, will that eliminate problems or create more. I don't have much money to spend but if I sell my car I'll have enough to at least get what I pay for this one., and I don't know that much yet about the :dsm:, the one I have now is my first project car that I have now, and I've put a lot into it so far.

Should I just leave it alone and stick with my car, or do you think this is something that could be fixed when changing the transmission.? Would I eventually, have to do more after switching to a manual.? Not to mention if I do get this, I really won't learn anything on modification upgrades, etc. n it's only got 113,000 miles.? :hmm:
This is a post 4 the experts!

for that price im sure you could find a 5 speed.
2k for a car that could possibly have a bad trans is quite high to me.. it could be a bad tcu but its a gamble unless you go check it all out.

i have seen plenty of 2g gst running around your area for around 2k hell i have seen gsx go for that price.

Around this area, no. It's ridiculous for the DSM's that sell around here. Examples:

http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/cto/4512182401.html

http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/4527266855.html

Idk, seems to me that people like to squeeze u for every penny they can out here(selling at dealer prices), n on top of that, there is always something/some things that are wrong w/the car that they never tell you.
Yeah, appreciate it though., thought I'd ask., cause I was gonna make it a manual(if I got it). Thanks though.

Stolenracer I respectfully beg to differ.

I don't think $2k is too high. $3k as asked for in the ad perhaps. It looks really clean! Djaux it depends on what you want man. If it's the platform you want, go for it. I absolutely had to have a 1ga AWD 5 speed and had no prob shelling out $2k for mine because being that specific means being either really patient, willing to drive several hours away, rich, or a little of all LOL.

Don't bother converting to manual there's WAY more than just a transmission to throw in there. Your going to have to spend a ton of cash on a clutch, flywheel, ecu, possibly axels, clutch mechanisms, etc. Then you're going to have to dick with wiring, fabrication, and the list goes on. OR you could just buy a manual to begin with. And spend all that time and sanity having fun!

Expecting to buy a DSM that is mechanically sound is an unreasonable expectation. MOST have been ridden hard and put away wet. Expecting anything else is unrealistic. Plan on gutting the driveline and rebuilding especially if you're going to mod. Plan on $6k if you do it yourself except for the trans which you should outsource. Not saying you can't DIY that but it's impractical. $2k on trans, $3k on motor rebuild, and $1k on clutch, tires, other broken/worn stuff, and fuzzy dice.

I'd keep the 420a car as your DD. Find somewhere to stash your project car and work on it for a year or so. That way you don't have to pay insurance and registration on something to sit in the backyard waiting to be reassembled because you ran out of cash or the project got away from you LOL. Been there. Still there...

Dude, the AWD 1g, and 2gs dsms for sale out here in California are often times anywhere from needing tlc $500-to-working fine clean $3000. usually $1500 bucks, and this would be a car with little to no rust [being from California and all].

The guy wants 3000 for it... granted it seems like most of the car is in good shape, but you got to remember these cars are well over a decade old regardless of what he wants, I cant see why he wants over $2500... I think you got to get the price down a bit [ ask him if he is a bit flexible on the price, hey it never hurts to ask] I mean it clearly will need more work to make it manual on top of the price and thats money and time you might not have after you give him the full 3k.

but to answer your original question, If you have a jack, and some jack stands, and some basic hand tools, you can swap it over to manual like in an afternoon in some cases, but you will need to do a bit of research before hand, thankfully there are a few well written/documented posts on here on how to do the auto to manual conversion.
but you will need a list of parts.

Here's some things that immediately come to my mind.
1. A clutch pedal assembly.

2. An appropriate 6 or 7 bolt flywheel, and a new [or like new] clutch set.

3. The clutch master, slave cylinder, and a stock or full stainless steel braided clutch line, some brake fluid.

4. You might need to source manual trans mounts.

5. A few wiring diagrams to get the neutral safety switch and reverse lights wired right.
there is most likely more here and there parts but this will give you a basic idea.

I swapped my colt over to 5 speed using a lot of pull it yourself wrecking yard parts LOL, but I bought it a new clutch set and had the flywheel resurfaced...
a lot more fun to drive, and more fuel efficient to boot.
"whats the point of being grownup if you can't act childish sometimes" Tom baker.

Last edited:
Ok, that pretty much summed it up 4 me., I'm moving hopefully this month, n don't really have much time to convert/order/assemble., w/that being said, I'll stick w/mine. Maybe when I move I won't find this many jack asses in one place., don't ever move to Myrtle Beach, SC. It's a f***ing pit waiting to swallow u whole.
Appreciate all the information. I didn't think it would be that easy.

Then when you're finished with the "project car" you can use the 420a car as a "what if" car. Trust me, those are handy LOL. See my 4g37 car...

Ya, I had a '91, 1.8L base Eclipse with auto for 11yrs and stuck 223k miles on it (the yellow DSM in my avatar).
It was my go around vehicle to keep the miles off the Laser. But, it was time to let it go, ran good and sold it. Heard that just in six months, the new owner blew the motor - didn't keep an eye on the coolant and blew the HG and all hell went loose with the motor. Sad.

Damn that sucks, I had a car I just fixed up, just put a couple mods on., n sold it. Couple months saw it going down the road, looked like junkyard trash(hard to explain)
I'm hoping not to part w/ this one., even though I've considered it, something always told me no. Not to mention if I did that, all the work, I've put into it, would be for nothing. Jumping onto something else., n really not knowing what I'm getting my hands on. Something about this car is worth keeping.
It all common sense, I guess I needed to find out from the experts. Even though tempting.:nono:

Stolenracer I respectfully beg to differ.

I don't think $2k is too high. $3k as asked for in the ad perhaps. It looks really clean! Djaux it depends on what you want man. If it's the platform you want, go for it. I absolutely had to have a 1ga AWD 5 speed and had no prob shelling out $2k for mine because being that specific means being either really patient, willing to drive several hours away, rich, or a little of all LOL.

Don't bother converting to manual there's WAY more than just a transmission to throw in there. Your going to have to spend a ton of cash on a clutch, flywheel, ecu, possibly axels, clutch mechanisms, etc. Then you're going to have to dick with wiring, fabrication, and the list goes on. OR you could just buy a manual to begin with. And spend all that time and sanity having fun!

Expecting to buy a DSM that is mechanically sound is an unreasonable expectation. MOST have been ridden hard and put away wet. Expecting anything else is unrealistic. Plan on gutting the driveline and rebuilding especially if you're going to mod. Plan on $6k if you do it yourself except for the trans which you should outsource. Not saying you can't DIY that but it's impractical. $2k on trans, $3k on motor rebuild, and $1k on clutch, tires, other broken/worn stuff, and fuzzy dice.

I'd keep the 420a car as your DD. Find somewhere to stash your project car and work on it for a year or so. That way you don't have to pay insurance and registration on something to sit in the backyard waiting to be reassembled because you ran out of cash or the project got away from you LOL. Been there. Still there...

Don't do it!!! .LOL I agree with this guy 100% my build was only suppose to last for 4 months and it ended up being three years. :( things just happen. Best to buy something that's already has the platform you want. Less work=more fun.

Ya, I had a '91, 1.8L base Eclipse with auto for 11yrs and stuck 223k miles on it (the yellow DSM in my avatar).
It was my go around vehicle to keep the miles off the Laser. But, it was time to let it go, ran good and sold it. Heard that just in six months, the new owner blew the motor - didn't keep an eye on the coolant and blew the HG and all hell went loose with the motor. Sad.

That sucks... Sorry to hear. R.I.P.LOL

...and the "balls" on this is that the guy wanted to sell it back to me for the money he paid for it, for he was wondering if I had 'sentimental value' in the car and wanted it back - in which I read this one all too well and saw right through it.

Told him that I'm done with it and had to move on (not telling him how horribly cheap he was along with being total inconsiderate to even have the BALLS to think of stuff like that) and he can do whatever being it was his problem now.

People ...... really !

-DSM

...and the "balls" on this is that the guy wanted to sell it back to me for the money he paid for it, for he was wondering if I had 'sentimental value' in the car and wanted it back - in which I read this one all too well and saw right through it.

Told him that I'm done with it and had to move on (not telling him how horribly cheap he was along with being total inconsiderate to even have the BALLS to think of stuff like that) and he can do whatever being it was his problem now.

People ...... really !

-DSM

Seriously! WOW.....just wow

People don't/can't surprise me anymore., unless it's somethimg nice. Which like I say expect the worst, hope for the best., but I try 2 stay positive.
Sounds like another Littlefinger(game of thrones).

Agree, now to get you settled on what you want to do, and for now, keep looking that fits the pocketbook and doesn't require three pocketbooks to keep the thing running - money ain't cheap to get nowadays and nobody's offering to hand you any that is free.

Good luck - DSM

Exactly, that's why been sticking with the basics for now., all maintenance. Since I've got the cars been nothing but maintenance. Almost done, n I'm about to get into the fun stuff, just not sure where to start. I'd like to keep it simple n do 1 thing at a time.:hmm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back