The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Newbie gst owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MERC

Probationary Member
Mar 27, 2017
Fairfield, California
Hello, I just got my first eclipse and am hoping to get a little info and input. It's a 97 gst. I bought with supposed built internals ( not sure if really good parts used ) just trying to get a feel for this car and get things I don't like fixed. I probably overpaid by 5-6 thousand for it. But the person that sold it to me made me feel like he spent a bunch on it. After getting home and seeing a lot of corners cut I feel bad about even buying it. Now just trying to get it all as it should. Any help would be appreciated. 97gst he says it's a 2.2 I don't even know if that's good?? I've only heard of 2.3 striker and 2.4. Aem fuel rail, running on E85, turbo went out on it a day after I bought it. He said it was a hybrid turbo. All I can find is that it's a precision 6152. Doesent seem like nothing special. Aem ems 1. I was sold on the idea it was fully built and turn key but I'm finding a lot of things not really done right. please ask me any question on parts. It does have or seem to have a few good things to it but the more I dig the more I regret buying it. I should have just got a stock one and upgraded it myself.

Hey. Go to your profile and fill out a build page about your car. We're really limited on helping with issues without knowing fully what's done to the car.

Also check out this thread here. Going over the car now could save you a lot of headaches in the future.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/dsm-maintenance-guide.476550/

Precision makes ball bearing and journal bearing versions of that turbo. If it's a journal bearing, there are multiple people on here who offer rebuild services instead of having to buy a new one altogether which should save you some money. Does the guy you bought it from have receipts of the motor work or any other parts? Try asking if he didn't give you any. If it's a properly built stroker on E85 you should easily be able to get into the 500s with that turbo. I would suggest having a professional go over the tune once you get a working turbo back on though.

If there are any specific questions about sorting through the cut corners, post them up here after you have the build profile going and we can try to help.

How much did you pay if you overpaid by 5-6 thousand? most aren't worth more than that for the whole car.

And as always, pictures.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back