The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

New valves and valve Job -should I lap them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazebolt

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 29, 2005
San Jose, California
Searched, but could not find a direct answer. I'm getting new Manley valves and a 3 angle valve job done on my head. Do I need to (or would I get any benifit from) lap the valves?

Thanks

I haven't gone to the shop yet, but I will be doing most of the assembly work myself. The machine shop work I have planned are Hot Tank block and head, magnaflux block, resurface head and block, crankshaft hone, 20 over cylinder bore/hone, balance rotating assembly, pressure test head, 3 angle valve job, replace valve guides, and extrude hone (maybe).

I'm still getting everything ready and planning what needs to be done and when. The build I'm doing is going to be pretty extensive and expensive and I will be taking my time. I will have a build log when I start the work.

Eh, I'm from the old days. I'd lap them. It's not a tough job, it just takes time.

Then again, I'd not bother to mag the block. I'd also save the price of an extrude hone on a turbo engine. Let the blower take care of the difference.

I would expect the machine shop to lap them before they put the springs and retainers on. They're doing the valve job right? I always lapped the valves when I did a valve grind. My engine instructor in college taught us that it was a standard part of the process.

Eh, I'm from the old days. I'd lap them. It's not a tough job, it just takes time.

Then again, I'd not bother to mag the block. I'd also save the price of an extrude hone on a turbo engine. Let the blower take care of the difference.

I originally wasn't going to mag the block, but the block has a little rust and is in unknown condition. The machine shop recommended it, with the inspection process. It sounds like a good idea for my plans with the block, so I'm going along.

I'm sure they don't charge that much for it, but DSM blocks aren't known for cracking. I was certified level II in Magna-Flux, and dye penetrant inspection in a life long ago.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back