The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

New to the world of eclipse. "Is eclipse right for me?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedric Van Roeyen

Probationary Member
Dec 23, 2016
Sint-Niklaas, Europe
Dear Forum,

I found an eclipse GSI from 92. I was in for the hunt on a GSX but in europe it is to hard to find.
What are the things I need to look for when buying this amazing platform? - main rust spots etc ...

This is the one:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Also where is a good thread to start learning the ins and outs of this G1.

Thanks in advance,
Cedric

I've found with mine anyways that the fronts of the rearwells and under the rear hatch lid for rust but I'm sure others have different experiences. As far as info goes...check around the site here...the amount info is crazy and most ppl know their stuff when it comes to these cars. Good luck! Search around the site! Loads of info

If you really want it, just be sure to do a very in depth inspection of it. I've never owned a 1G DSM, but have had a far share of 2G's and have been lucky to never have one with the rust problems they get except for the one I used as an awd donor. Definitely do a good look of the underside and the frame rails since putting a jack on them tends to ruin them and cause rust. Also see if just the subframes and suspension parts are rusty like this:

This is my current GSX and I didn't notice this when I bought it, but I can still clean it up at least.

Thank you for the advice ;)

UPDATE!!!!!
I bought the eclipse that I mentioned in my first post. And I love it. HOWEVER:
I took it to a carmeet and someone aprouches me and sais he has one aswell. I was chocked to hear that since I tought I had the only one in belgium. Even more the man had a g1 GSX!
I asked if he would sell it and so he did. The car has been sitting for 2 years outside and he claims the engine is running.

specs:
- Auto :(
- AWD
- Leather interior
- dash in great shape
- no leather tears at all
- No popups :'(

Pictures:

I was wayyyyy to emotional and agreed on 5500 but I feel like that is way to much. A quick ask on the forum group confirmed this.
what should I do??

Kind Regards And a lot of thank you's :)

Very nice. Mine too was sitting for two years, under a tree, and once we jump started it, it ran smooth like it had never sat, and got it for real cheap. Mine is also auto :( but I can live with it for now. Here's mine, the day I bought it and now. Haven't even owned it 2 months yet.

Good find, maybe a bit much on the price considering it sat for 2 years. Before anything, drain and replace all the fluids (engine, trans, t-case, rear diff). Replace all filters, do the trans filter when you drain it. Check compression, do a boost leak test, leak down test. Replace the water pump and timing belt (and tensioner). Check your plugs and fuel system. Dump out the old bad fuel, don't run it through the engine.

Before anything do you mean when trying to start the car for the first time again ? I want to test the engine befor buying, but do I need 50 euros of oil and parts before even attempting to start it ?

Well, just to test it out before buying shouldn't hurt. Just check to see if the oil and atf are good on the dipsticks at least. Look for metal flakes on the dipsticks too. I did that before test driving mine. The oil and atf both looked great and didn't have burnt smells, and the test drive went smooth.

First off, stop with the sad face for it being auto LOL, these pieces of machinery are absolutely amazing when setup correctly and could always be swapped out if need be. 2nd, if the car has been sitting for 2 years, i would definitely prime it before starting her up with some fresh oil, as what's in their is probably full of contaminants. That would be my personal first concern. As mentioned before, check the dipsticks of both the trans and motor. Look at the coolant. Take a look under the car for signs of oil leaking and let the car idle as you're talking with the guy, get it up to temperature. Since it's auto, you can check the transmission to a degree, by shifting through all the gears with your foot on the brake pedal P R N D 2 1. If it lurches and clunks, it could indicate issues with motor mounts or the trans.
$5500 is alot in to the States for sure; you probably showed too much interest LOL. I'd say definitely work him down on the price, going to need some of that for the impending maintenance.

Why complain about people not liking auto transmissions?? I don't like auto, but I got one and plan to swap it eventually. I got an awesome deal for my car, so I excepted the transmission. I still want manual because I prefer it, not because some think it's faster or something.

Sorry for getting at this so late but, after 3 months passing from my op I bought the car for 3000 euro. And this is where it is at now :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back