The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

New to ALL of this!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KensieGSX

Probationary Member
Sep 21, 2017
Manhattan, Kansas
Hey guys! So I have recently purchased a '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. I only got to drive it for a day before the clutch went out. There is also oil on everything and there is collected oil in the intercooler. I want to tear into it and start building it. This is what I am stuck on... Where do I start for one. Do I want to work on someone else's project? *Was a project car before I bought it* Or do I just start all fresh? I'm looking for opinions and help! Thank you!
11898894_10155932562520317_3716941800085796805_n.jpg
11209365_10156022419165317_7081010064344738136_n.jpg

Your car looks nice! Love that color. If it were me I would refresh the engine. Get yourself an act 2100 clutch. Spray green stuff/degreaser on the underside of the engine and clean everything. It will help u out with finding the leak. Also if a recent timing belt has not been done, well that would be at the top of the list. Hope this helps

Your situation sounds similar to mine...bought someone else's project and that person had no direction with the car..just slap parts on and see what happens...my suggestion would be to follow the routine maintenance thread...it turned up lots of issues that had been missed/skipped on my car...it gave me lots of insite on where to go and what to do with the car not to mention what it needs...even tho the dude insisted that it wasn't a project...haha...crawling all over the car showed me loads of things that needed attention and possibly would've been missed had I just got it and drove it...so now I'm basically starting over with pulling engine and rebuilding and such...it will make for a better car when I'm done not to mention I'll know exactly what's been done...let us know and good luck!

Agreed, start with maintenance, cleaning, and planning. Personally, I don't trust the work of many other people (maybe one or two max) so I'd just refresh the entire engine and service everything so you have peace of mind that everything was checked/fixed/replaced/etc... Looks like you have a good car to build on, but without maintenance and a plan, you're not going to get far. Welcome to the DSM community.

Thank you so much guys! I'm getting her to my house tomorrow to start getting her cleaned up!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back