The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

1G New timing pulleys whining

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzi

Proven Member
Jan 11, 2014
Torrington, Connecticut
I installed a complete Gates timing kit this weekend with a mitsu oem tensioner. Everything was torqued to spec and the belt tension is set perfect, but for some reason the pulleys are wining slightly. I cant really pinpoint which idler is making the noise, it seems to do it at low idle and then again when revved up. These were new pulleys from gates that looked oem, said made in Japan on all of them. The hydraulic tensioner gap is about 11/64 which is right in the middle of the range, the balance shaft tensioner is set with the lobe pointing about 10 o'clock. Do they have a break in period or is something wrong? Thanks.

Did you mess with the oil pan bolts ? Hopefully you didn't put 2 of the longer ones where the shorter ones go, or they dig into the t-belt

I agree tmoney but I did that once and no noise just a ripped belt, he may have something touching or rubbing I cant think of anything else shouldn't hear the tensioner. What else is on the car altenator perhaps or power steering belt.

The two short oil pan bolts are there under the belt, I double checked when I was in there even though I just did the pan gasket two weeks ago. Well the noise got worse today and its the alternator for sure, although its a different noise from what i heard before so im not ruling out a noisy pulley just yet. So the plan now is to replace the alternator and see if the noise goes away altogether. On another note im happy to say the car feels like it has more power and runs much stronger with the new belt, even though the old one was timed correctly. It was on there a little loose, and who knows how old. Any recommendations on an alternator upgrade?

Just an update, I definitely need an alternator, it charges fine but its noisy and started smoking today. There is also still a noisy timing pulley, I ran it for a few minutes with the alt belt off and it still made the noise which eliminates the water pump also. Yay.

Did this noise just start after the belt change? A new bearing should make no noise at all. Are you sure that you don't have anything rubbing inside the timing cover?

Im a big fan of maintenance, and yes the noise started after the new pulleys. Its intermittent so I wouldn't think its rubbing on anything since it would be more or less consistent, and its a definite bearing noise. Plus the front cover is in pretty good shape and all bolted down correctly. The supplier is offering to exchange the kit so im just going to replace it all again, and this time im doing the waterpump as well 'just to be safe' even though its fine at the moment. Im thinking a fresh Galant 90A alt will go in at the same time. This car will be brand new in the end haha.

The gates belt I had on my car was loud after installation to. Thought something was messed up took everything off to verify bearings, torque, maybe something rubbing nothing. Swapped a oem timing belt on and the sound went away. Could just be the noise from the gates timing belt being much more durable. Just my own personal experience. Maybe you could post a video of the sound and we could give you a better idea on the problem.

I tried taking a video but its giving me issues trying to post it. I pulled the cover off today and found the hydraulic tensioner was almost completely compressed, and a drop of oil was sitting on the seal(brand new oem unit). I released the tension and left it with the grenade pin in it for now. Im not sure what happened whether the tensioner failed or if the belt was too tight, which im not sure how that happened. After initial tension was set I cranked it over at least 6 times and let it sit for over 30 minutes and the gap measured about 11/32. If the belt was set too tight im sure the bearings and tensioner are all shot now either way.

I would be more worried about the oil pump than the timing pullies if the tension was too tight.

Def could be oil pump, i was thinking that too. Take a cheap stehescope, or put a screwdriver to your ear and touch the bolts that hold each pulley down when the engine is running. That should pin point any noisy bearings. You may have over tendioned it when you tightened down the tensioner pulley bolt?

I pulled the pulleys off today and there is play in both timing belt pulleys, the balance shaft tensioner seemed ok. I even compared them to the old ones I pulled off and the old ones still feel nice and tight, so im returning this set and ordering another.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back