The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

New starter, cranks for a few seconds then there's a loud pop

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota Biddinger

Proven Member
Aug 5, 2017
Juneau, Alaska
So I just put a new engine in my 95 eagle talon tsi, then put the starter in it. When I went to start it up it cranked for a few, then there was a loud pop and a slight smell under the hood. It only pops once and then cranks for a few seconds longer then pops again. Anybody know what it could be?

The flexpipe is blown on my exhaust so that would make it louder. It could just be a backfire. Mines a 7 bolt and always has been, my firing order should be right, and I did the timing when the engine was on the engine stand

Like stated prior, check your spark plug wire order and your cam angle sensor is installed 180* out (6 bolt/1G CAS only). How is your mechanical timing?

Last edited:
Everything should be connected right, and we went through the engine on a stand before actually putting it into the car. A few friends thought it could be a backfire? The flexpipe is blown so all the noise would basically come out of the bottom of the down pipe.

So we found out that it was because I have a 2g ecu and 1g sensors and coil pack, so I rearranged the plug wires on the coil from 4123 to 1342 and it doesn't backfire anymore
Glad you figured that part out, so is it running now or still working on it? Yeah that sounded like a loud pop would be back fire, and that is usually timing related/ in this case timing of wrong plugs firing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back