The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

New Spare Key Cut [Merged 12-8] blank number

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SANiTaRiUM16

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2002
NY
I bought my car and it came with this key (picture on bottom) How much would it cost for a "real" mitubishi eclipse key. This one is ghetto!

Attachments

• ghettokey.jpg
    ghettokey.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 965
What's the ASA? Do you know if that key was used for turbo and non-turbo? And does anyone know what the key even looks like? I can't even find a picture. If it doesn't have the logo or say Mitsubishi then I won't get it....for 9 freakin dollars off of mitsubishiparts.com When I bought my OEM Acura key blanks, they were $1.60 each!

Attachments

• 1800_1_b.JPG
    1800_1_b.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 896
  • b6a4_1_b.JPG
    b6a4_1_b.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 672
  • mit4-p.jpg
    mit4-p.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 645
  • mit7p.jpg
    mit7p.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 618
  • mitsupromo.gif
    mitsupromo.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 633
The only reason I was complaining is because the key is $13 and it doesn't have a chip or anything fancy. Other blanks like Ilco, etc. are only a couple bucks. I guess you get what you pay for :rolleyes:

I got a key cut at true value for 1 dollar, and the ky to me was better than a true oem key, seeing as mine was plymouth hahaa, but i dont see the big fuss over getting a mitsubshi key, its not that big of a deal is it?

Hey guys. This is another thread that saved my life.

I own a 2G Talon. And this is what I had to go through. I put my registration on my glove compartment and I need it to renew my tags. I locked it and could not get it open of course. So I read this and figured my key was too worn out. In fact I ran into a similar problem where my ignition would not turn. Luckily I had a spare and that would work just fine. So I made a copy of the spare and used that for the time being.

After locking myself out I tried spraying WD-40, wiggling it, kicking it, punching it. Nothing seemed to work. So I decided to get a new key from the dealership. But it wasn't easy

Called 3 or 4 chrysler dealers and they all told me my car was "too old" and the key machine would not make such key (which I think it was BS) because one dealer finally said yes. The problem is that they didn't have a blank key. So I called a bunch of Mitsu dealers and finally got ahold of one for $20. The mitsu dealer would not cut the key down because they say my VIN was for a chrysler vehicle. (again I think this is BS since DSM are both mitsu and chrysler).

Went with the mitsu key to the chyrsler dealer 30 min away and finally got it done. I guess my key was so worn out that the new key looks almost like a different key. The guy was nice and didn't charge me anything for cutting down the key

First try and got it unlocked.

My recommendation if you want to save some money. Even though the OEM key looks great, I think $20 for a key is too much. You can get it of a OEM catalog for like $12 but shipping is like $10 so if you need to get other stuff it wouldn't hurt. But I needed it ASAP. You can go to a walmart or home depot and buy an Axxess 51R blank key for like $3 and go to the dealership and see if they would do it. They might give you a crappy speech about how the "machine will only take OEM keys" but it's worth a try. Make sure you tell them to make it from the VIN number an not a copy of your actual key. DO NOT HAND THEM YOU WORN OUT KEY.

Best of luck

I went to a local Lowes a couple of weeks back to try to get a copy cut for my 2G. After about 5 mins of looking, they said they didn't have a blank that would work, and they suggested a local hardware store. So of course, thats where I went. They cut a copy for me and it looked like it was smooth sailing until I tried to unlock the car. Nothing. The new key is about 1/8" too short. Just figured I would share this with you guys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back