The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

New mitsu hydro tensioner weep?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throwback23

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 28, 2012
Boring, Oregon
Hey there, I decided to install my gates belt today and once installation was done I tried sticking the 1/16 Allen in the hole and it wouldn't go all the way(the grenade pin would but not the Allen). I then decided to look down from the top and I saw a tiny shimmer which I was afraid was oil.... so I put the grenade pin back and pulled it all out and sure enough there is a lite film of oil all the way around the silver pin (not on the brown plunger around it). Is this normal, this is a new OEM mitsu tensioner I got from jnz. I only question it because the old OEM one I pulled out has no trace of weeping like that. Its not going back together until I figure this out, completely unexpected delay. Here's a pic, not the best but you can still see what's going on.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yea I didn't see oil on my old one or any other DSMs I've done timing belts on....then again those were all reused tensioners...this one is new so I'm not sure if they pee a bit when their fresh or not. This one hasn't ever been compressed or decompressed but maybe a few thousandths for remaining belt slack after the belt was in and eccentric tensioned. It was in my car and the job was all but done when I noticed it so in went the pin and out went the tensioner. I read somewhere that if they are not stored vertically they can weep but idk, the date says it was manufactured in 93 so if that theory were even plausible I'd bet there's a chance it hasn't need stored vertically at some point. I just read jnzs return (exchange) policies looks like I may be stuck with it good or bad...bummer (unless its good LOL)

Hey there, I decided to install my gates belt today and once installation was done I tried sticking the 1/16 Allen in the hole and it wouldn't go all the way(the grenade pin would but not the Allen). I then decided to look down from the top and I saw a tiny shimmer which I was afraid was oil.... so I put the grenade pin back and pulled it all out and sure enough there is a lite film of oil all the way around the silver pin (not on the brown plunger around it). Is this normal, this is a new OEM mitsu tensioner I got from jnz. I only question it because the old OEM one I pulled out has no trace of weeping like that. Its not going back together until I figure this out, completely unexpected delay. Here's a pic, not the best but you can still see what's going on.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sorry man, but i would say that tensioner is pretty much done. It should not be leaking at all. The pin may shine a little from moving in and out of the hydraulic fluid, but the seal should keep the hydraulic fluid from escaping. My mechanic says that you usually get about 2 uses out of one before they start leaking.

Like DXc said if you compress them too fast they will rupture. I had a Gates tensioner leaking worse than that because the seal was bad. You could still use it, but it is almost certain to fail now.

Last edited:
If it is in fact bad I will wait on jnz to see what they say and if I'm stuck with it I'll probably just clean the oil off and see if I can replicate the issue.. if it happens again I'll junk it, if not I'll probably try it and keep an eye on it. Too bad these are so spendy..ironic how I got it for price of mind as my old one was still good LOL

I just spoke with 2 of my instructors, both ase master techs and they both said the same thing on different occasions. They said "that could be assembly lube, I wouldn't describe that as leaking" they both said they would use it. Im not sold on anything just getting opinions, I'll find out from jnz Monday.

Make that 3 instructors now, just asked the chairman of the program also a mtech he said exact same thing.. I'll still wait to hear from jnz as stated but that's the face to face info gathered so far.

Did you apply proper tension on the belt? Once the tension is applied correctly and everything is tight, the pin should slide in and out and should not be stuck. It might let go a little which is fine. They tell you to turn the engine over 6 times and check the pin again for that reason. If it indeed loses the tension then it's bad. End of story. I would give it one more try and if it still let's go, toss it.

Yea the belt was given proper torque..the original pin (1/16 allen wrech wouldnt but its a little larger then the pin) went in and out as it should after spinning the motor 6-12 rotations (to be sure). Everything felt good, I've done 6-7 DSM timing belts and it felt good I was just alarmed by the oil on the pin. Im being redundant but i talked to 2 mitsu dealers and both said that it was normal, one said they see that from the tensioners" its residual from assembly" so I'm gonna go back together with it.

Last edited:
I figured I'd update this thread, so the tensioner was sent back to mitsu (took nearly 5mo turnaround) and they test it saying it was good, not defective and sending it back. Still seems odd to me as I've never seen a tensioner with any oil on or around the piston....I decided to just put it on the shelf, fml.:idontknow:

It was most likely machine oil to keep it from rusting or assembly lube. Did you ever wipe it down and install it to see if it would reappear?

Yea, I cleaned it up after taking the pics and there was no oil at all. I the. Put it on my car and let it idle for 5 mins and proceeded to check it, the small oil ring was there again. It has also come back several times after being cleaned, decompressed and slowly compressed in a vice...never more then shown in the pic but if it is an assembly lube there's a decent amount of it in there. I also just realized that crimsondragon said if it loses tension toss it but it never lost tension when installed or at any other point, my only issue with it is if the weeping is cause for concern.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back