The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G New ISC, still having problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TuJay

Proven Member
Aug 16, 2016
Wadsworth, Ohio
With a Walbro 255 you'll definitely be running rich without some sort of aftermarket fuel pressure regulator. Since you have an AFPR, you're likely okay as long as the previous owner set base fuel pressure correctly. With DSMLink, and an AFPR, the car shouldn't be running rich unless (off the top of my head) it is either tuned incorrectly, the wideband 02 sensor is calibrated incorrectly, or you have some sort of post-turbo intake leak.

A fouled plug won't spark, or will spark weakly, so it could be causing your problems yes. The 4G63T is picky about which plugs are used. NGK was OEM for our cars, so most people run either the NGK BPR6ES if they are running stock boost, or BPR7ES if they have a highly modified vehicle (30+lbs of boost iirc). Plug gaps are also very important on this engine: .28-.32; most run either .30 or .28. The plugs are 13/16 (21mm I think) wrench size, yes. For plug wires, it's also important to run wires with low resistance; many run NGK ME-77.

All that said, my gut feeling is that, if you're missing a couple of cylinders, your plugs are wires are fine and the issue is somewhere further upstream in the spark system (coils, ignition transistor, or the signal from the ECU/Cam Sensor to fire). Still, I'd check the plugs for fouling/check their gap, and ensure you have spark on all four before you throw money at the problem. If you have no spark, knowing whether it's missing on 1&4 or 2&3 will narrow down what you need to look at to track down the source of the problem.

Since it's hard to diagnose via video, if it turns out you have spark and fuel on all four and you're not missing cylinders, I'd guess a big intake leak.
And I don’t think when they did the fuel system they even bothered with tuning it, that’s why it’s rich. I don’t know how to tune and ECMLink won’t connect

I need new plugs anyway, I bought BRP7ES, I’m stock boost. Will they work still?
And I don’t think when they did the fuel system they even bothered with tuning it, that’s why it’s rich. I don’t know how to tune and ECMLink won’t connect

The 7ES are one range colder than the 6ES and will unfortunately foul quickly at stock boost. You'd be better off returning the 7 and getting 6.

As for DSMLink, I don't use it on my car so I'm not experienced enough to help you troubleshoot connection problem with it, but ECMTuning has a great forum open to all DSMLink owners. If you didn't get the account info from the previous owner, contact ECMTuning and I'm sure they'll sort you out. Getting DSMLink working should be a high priority, in my opinion, as it makes diagnosis much easier when you can see the same live data the ECU sees, and can share logs with us.

I'd also look into ensuring base fuel pressure is set correctly. I don't use an Aeromotive so I can't help you with the specifics, but they are popular in the community so you should be able to find information on how to set them up by searching.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back