The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G New GSX Where to go from here

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charcoal162

Probationary Member
Feb 21, 2015
Waupun, Wisconsin
okay new to the group recently picked up my first gsx. Now iv had dsm's and worked on a few before this but never really anything to down an dirty. wheel bearings,valve cover gaskets, fuel pumps exc..but my question today is whats the next step with what iv got. i picked up this car with the following supporting mods

Engine:
7 Bolt 4g63 2.0 Liter 4 Cylinder
Rebuilt less than 15k miles ago
Arp head studs
Cometic head gasket
Internals are stock

Bolt ons: (all have less than 5k miles)
Big 16g turbo on 12psi
Rc 550cc injectors (Not installed)
Manual boost controller
Walbaro 255 Fuel Pump (Not installed)
Hks ssqv blow off valve
AEM Uego Wideband o2 sensor
Huge front mount intercooler (not ebay junk)
3" intercooler piping
Short ram intake w/ kn filter
Gm Maf with Maf translator
Megan coilovers
Hks "Hi-Power" Catback Exhaust
3" downpipe
NGK plugs and wires

Drivetrain:
3" Aluminum driveshaft from the driveshaft shop
Act 2100 Clutch and Pressure Plate
Chromoly Lightweight Flywheel (Not installed)
Freshly swapped 5 speed manual transmission and transfer case From a 98 Talon Tsi Awd with 105k

Interior:
Roll cage
4 pt Aci Racing harness
Double A Pillar Gauge Pod
Autometer Boost Gauge
AEM Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge, 14.7 afr at idle
Battery relocated to the trunk in a box

Exterior:
Shell has 93k miles (Never seen a winter)
97 front end conversion
Custom exhaust manifold vent on hood
External Wastegate bung on front bumper
4 Brand New Tires

I mean for what i paid i got alot in my opinion some of this stuff gets abit pricey but my goal is streetable pump gas power something around the 400-450whp range enough to throw you in the seat and take to a track day but not to much you couldn't drive to work. now as far as budget im not one to give up quality but if its not necessary why have it Right? but lets say to start keep it under 5k

also the car needs a tune its running factory boost on the stock ECU but what kind of numbers with the current set up should i see after a good dialed in tune.

thanks for the help iv done alot of research but obviously nobody has my exact set up so im trying to culminate all the mighty minds of dsm'ers and get all my info in one spot.

Sounds like you have everything to get to where you want to be.

Bigger injectors than those 550's. Drop in that Wally. 'Link it. Tune it. Crank up the boost. There's your 400. Have fun.

You just got it. Drive it and then worry about your dyno sheet.

Sounds like it's a fun car.

anything to make it more reliable and peak boost higher. do you think water/meth inj. would be worth the investment

recommendation on injectors? and whats the max you think i could get out of this set up remeber its still stock inside

anything to make it more reliable and peak boost higher. do you think water/meth inj. would be worth the investment

Well you say it has a new rebuilt engine. ARPs and cometic HG.

Unless you plan on tearing it down for forged internals you are set.

I guess you could throw in a good radiator.

recommendation on injectors?

Search the forums for that. I couldn't help you. I'm not at that point in my own build to answer that one. Searching the forums for "400 hp injector size" might help.

Someone will probably chime in if they read this but a little looking for yourself will only add to your own knowledge about what the different sized injectors are capable of.

I still say just drive it. Unless I am missing something. Like the car is fully apart or you are looking to do a ground up build.

Good luck.

nope solid runner and it moves but id like it to be as happy as possible i dont want any part to be lacking. a car only runs as well as the weakest parts and id rather not throw a rod through the block or go to lean thanks for the help

recommendation on injectors? and whats the max you think i could get out of this set up remeber its still stock inside

if you really want to run your DSM hard then you need to just start looking for these answers in forum posts. All the answers to your questions have been answered hundreds of times. You don't really need them handed to you. If you do...your playing the wrong sport :)

Seek and yee shall find kinda thing.

Build on builder.

im trying to figure out the injector size i need on my supercharged 420a my self, lucky you have a turbo, easier to find info LOL

It looks like you definitely have a great starting point and your goals shouldn't be out of reach, tuning and research will help get you there.

400-450hp on pump gas, 550's and a 16g to me sounds like a big task. I dont know if a 16g can get you into the 400-450 i know you can go deep into the 300's but i would maybe look into a different turbo if your goal is around the 450whp. But defiantly larger injectors and a good way to tune!!

A big 16g on pump is not going to get you anywhere near 400hp. At this point you need a way to tune like ecmlink and to upgrade the fuel system. If you install that 255 you may need a fuel pressure regulator I would go with bigger injectors than the 550s so that you have room to grow if you decide to upgrade your turbo or to go e85.

There was a post around here that helped you figure out what size injector you needed to match the flow of your turbo, but I can't find it at the moment. I used it to match the flow on my green to the size injector that I would need.

DSMlink
Install the 255 pump
AFPR
Ditch the 550s and get 1000cc injectors
Switch to E85
Tune

I just threw out 1000 arbitrarily, there are calculators I would advise you to use instead to get to your goals like this one. http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/flow-calculator
Get the largest you can afford and don't look back, this is coming from a guy with 680 injectors. There's literally no downside to having larger injectors until you hit 1600

Like everyone else said 400 on pump might not be realistic but E85 might get you there, also I googled it and there is an E85 station in your town.

Get Link and a tune first!!

You a running a much higher flowing turbo on the car with stock ecu and stock injectors.

If you are shooting for 4-500 whp, ditch the 255 and get a 450. Get at least 1000cc injectors, convert to e85, and at least a hybrid 20g should get you to 400.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back