The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G New evo8 knock sensor getting CEL

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

er82

Proven Member
Apr 18, 2014
Sacramento, California
I replaced the stock 1g knock sensor with a new oem evo8 one, but now getting a knock sensor circuit malfunction CEL in ecmlink. I just got the car to idle and revved it a bit, and the log showed some movement on the knock signal. Any ideas? Do I need to configure ecmlink for it?

Do you have an EVO 8 ECU? As far as I know the evo 8 knock sensor is not compatible with a 1G ECU
I have 1g ecu with ecmlink v3. But I guess it would make sense that it would work with evo8 ecu. The posts I've seen never mentioned using different ecu, maybe it was implied.

Why are you using an EVO knock sensor???? Link doesn't have a provision to change that, or not my version .

2g OEM knock sensor is discontinued???

Whats the answer to that problem?

Id like to try a new sensor with hopes to get this little bit of hot boost 16g knock out of the log:

Attachments

• log.2018.05.28-04.elg
    30.6 KB · Views: 56
I just installed an evo 8 knock sensor in my 97 GSX today. Plug and play, works mint. Plus- if you ran the injector harness under the intake manifold, the shorter lead on the evo8 sensor is ideal. The 2g sensor lead is like a foot longer....I used to have the slack rolled into a neat loop, but didn't like it.

No they cannot be cross platformed unless you are using an Evo 8 ecu. The frequency rangesand construction are different. It's be like using a 1g sensor on an Evo: does it fit? Sure. Does it work properly? No

I went through this when I first used an Evo 8 ecu for the 1g, they don't play nice together.

I'd look through jnz or stm for knock sensors

Seems to work fine from what I can tell, behaves exactly like my original 2g sensor did before it went lame. I am far from the 1st to do this, and it has been recommended by several on the link forum. 2g knock sensor is discontinued. Any solid info you can provide to support what your claiming would be much appreciated. Im open minded and looking forward to your reply.

Evos sensor is identical in construction to the 2g sensor, unlike the 1g sensor, which is clearly not even close, so you having problems there in the past is no surprise. Only difference is the cable length.

Last edited:
The Evo sensor is not the same as a 2g sensor, it plugs in and seems to work because the 2g software uses a passive sensor unlike the 1g. The Evo sensor is tuned differently, I have settings in my standalone for each of them and they are different.

This topic seems like a bit of an enigma.......once the engine has been modified to a certain point, so Ive read, its no longer in the range of what the oem sensor had been tuned for from the manufacturer. Does this mean it will not show you knock when it is present? Or could it mean the opposite, it will show you knock when it is not actually present? Or could it be a mixture of both?

Additionally, The 2g sensor is discontinued and not available for purchase anywhere. That said, what makes sense to use aside from a used sensor?

All I do know at this point is that both sensors, evo and 2g dsm, seem to let me know if Im getting greedy, both in the same manner. So I wonder, are both sensors ok to use so long as I make sane decisions as far as boost level,AFR, and timing....all while paying very close attention to how the engine feels through a pull? I do believe that if you pay attention to details, its not hard to tell if its not happy, but having that sensor to check yourself against is nice.

Could you post a link or direct us toward where you came up with this information..........please.

Not being able to source a proper knock sensor could be a really bad thing for ECM Link users.

The Bosch sensor is a wideband knock sensor that will show knock over a much wider range, if anyone an find a way to configure it for Link or flash based ecu's it would be a much better choice, its what alot of us run with our ecu's that arent factory.

I'm not keen on the exact ranges and science, but I do know they are different and not technically cross compatible. I don't feel like tracking down all the pages I read when looking into it (#lazy), but there is a fair amount of info about it, enough for me to confirm.

Not sure what to do about no more 2g sensors (buy patent, new business venture?) But I believe @turboglenn has the best solution using aftermarket knock control. Can't recall if it interfaces with ecmlink as far as logging though.

Here is the stock vs the Evo in the comparison tool on the right, you can see that the gain at the very least is different.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Still using an evo 8 knock sensor and it continues to behave exactly like the oem 2g sensor did before it gooed out on me. At this point, I do not think there is a single real issue with using an evo 8 knock sensor in a 2g dsm.

I made a microphone to clamp to the block near the sensor that I can listen to through headphones. I have not spent much time with it yet but it works great and should illustrate through use and observation over time what the deal is with this evo sensor and weather its output can be trusted or not

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back