The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G New EVERYTHING Still Runs HOT

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breaksdaily

Proven Member
Nov 4, 2014
Colombus, Georgia
Car has started to run hot in 80 degree plus weather here recently, No issue in cold weather or morning/ night... It has a new Radiator, Rad Cap, Temp sensors, Stock working fans, Thermostat, Head gasket, Water pump. Zero coolant leaks and got up to 240 on me today on the interstate.

Im not losing any coolant, No smoking or anything stupid car runs great besides this.. No idea

Last edited:
If everything is working 100% in your cooling system and it still overheats. It's usually an indication you have poor airflow to the radiator. Do you have a FMIC? Do you have any kind of air ducting to the rad, stock or otherwise?
Also I have installed more than one thermostat that were defective out of the box. Make sure your thermostat is opening fully and at the right temp.

Does it still overheat at a standstill when the fans are on? If it's just overheating on the interstate I'd say you would probably need some ducting to your radiator to get some more air through there.

It does not run hot until you drive it, Just sitting there it never goes above 210 and fans cycle on and off properly. I have never seen any indications of head or head gasket issues with it and it just started running hot, When i pulled the head the gasket looked fine I saw no issues with it or the old water pump etc. Im thinking my OEM style Oreilly Radiator sucks balls or something..

Last edited:
You really have to back track and try to figure out when this overheating started . Was it after you put your front mount in or was your head gasket already blown and that's when the overheating started .

I did not have a blown head gasket I assumed I did so I pulled the head.. No issues found there. Which makes sense as I had perfect compression, no oil in coolant or coolant in oil etc.

Take out the thermostat and put it in a pot of water and bring it to boil, make sure it opens, I'd say it's either the thermostat or a good air restriction to the radiator. Do you still have an AC condenser?

Ive tried two different Thermostats... and Yes I have a Condenser this car has working AC and I need it Georgia heat doesnt play any games!!

I just let the car run with the cap off for about 35 minutes we will see if that helped and if air was in the system.

Last edited:
Did u replace the headgasket or reused the one u had?

I had a similar issue but I was losing a bit of coolant every week and would start to creep up. Headgasket change did the trick for me.

My car has a big fmic and I live in the desert of Arizona where temp is over 100. No ducting of any kind and car does not go past 210.

Did u replace the headgasket or reused the one u had?

I had a similar issue but I was losing a bit of coolant every week and would start to creep up. Headgasket change did the trick for me.

My car has a big fmic and I live in the desert of Arizona where temp is over 100. No ducting of any kind and car does not go past 210.
Lol Im not a hack, a new OEM composite was installed... If you literally take the head off and reuse a 26 year old gasket you may be mentally challenged.

I Had an issue like this that I discovered some issues were messing with me. 1 my thermostat was not opening right/ wasn't getting the lower radiator hose hot even though my car was super hot. 2 my coolant cap was not sealing properly to the metal mating surface, you could squeeze the upper radiator hose easily and heard a hiss at the cap. 3 I had a temp sensor that wasn't reading the proper ohm read out.

1 Still working on a better solution
(Modified an evo 8 thermostat to fit) reason why is the inner diameter of the spring opened valve is larger

2 Added a gasket to the radiator cap

3 Replaced with the proper sensor verified with ohm reading

Just to toss a few questions out; are you running the a/c when it is sitting versus when it overheats? When it overheats have you stopped to check the fans are still operating at the correct speeds?

Start by verifying that your headgasket is good. Do a leakdown test or at least a chemical test. Assuming that it's good is not enough. I'd then make sure your system is bled properly... run the motor with the cap off and make sure the thermostat is opening, add coolant as needed. Having air pockets in the system with cause a lot of problems. I don't think this is an airflow issue, my radiator is blocked by a massive intercooler and oilcooler... not to mention I had a leaky headgasket and it didn't overheat. I think a lot of times we over complicate overheating issues. If your headgasket is good and your system is bled the car shouldn't overheat while driving, even with a front mount....

May or may not be the issue, but one of the first things i do to my dsms or jeep is replace the dinky plastic rad with all aluminum. I use eBay rads and they work great (and under $100), larger capacity and my cars run slightly cooler after the swap. I've had several weird cooling issues over the years and upgrading the rad is a no brainer, esp in southern heat.

when a vehicle runs hot while driving you can usually eliminate the fans . i think you have a circulating problem . did you try flushing your heater core cause coolant runs through there and then back in the engine and if there is a restriction you won't get that hot coolant back to the radiator .

I run an autozone radiator. Oreilly, Autozone, etc, they will work fine. If the radiator is your issue, its an exception, not the rule.

Go rent a pressure test system from oreilly and test your system to see if it loses pressure. Make sure they give you the right adapter for our vehicles.

So I've been running it with the cap off and a funnel in trying to burp it of any air bubbles I've noticed the fluid level never really drops it seems this 180 deg thermostat opens at 196 because that's when I start seeing bubbles but the fluid never sucks down and I don't have to add any, the fan kicks on at 206 and runs for about 30sec until it cools it back down to the low 190s... Did this for about 40 minutes, also let it run for about 15 minutes after that with the A.C. on to see how hot it got, actually cooled off even more with that fan on also ran 186-190.

Last edited:
It's got to be an air flow issue. In the hot states our cars can overheat at speed. The faster you go the hotter it will get since your engines running above 3k rpm and the air is just hitting your fmic and bleeding off around it. If it can sit with the ac on and not overheat then its time for some ducting.

is your car an auto or a manual? I have a bad time with the trans coolers in their stock location causing my 1G's t overheat so i've had to move them elsewhere to remedy the situation.

Auto, Trans cooler is relocated to old smic location...
I've gathered some data on my 40 minute drive to work this afternoon in 80 degree temperature. Cruising 45-50mph to the interstate below 3K rpm the car does not get over 206 unless stopped at a red light it would creep to 213 and then back to 203-206 when moving. Once I hit the interstate running 85-90mph at 4k or so rpm for 15 minutes it creeped up to 219 and touched 223 once, As soon as I pull off interstate and back to 50mph it's at 203-206 again. As far as boosting it goes it will jump up really quick even after only one small pull.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back