The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

New DSM, new problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFallenTSI97

Proven Member
Mar 23, 2013
Huntsville, Alabama
So I got a new DSM over the weekend, so of course new problems. It's a 91 Eagle Talon TSI fwd. It's all original 96k miles. I'm having issues under boost. Anything under 3/4 throttle at around 7 psi. The car starts bucking and stumbling. In full throttle it has no issues. It's only in lower throttle. I'm at a bit of a lost. My data port doesn't work so I can't hook up the obd 1 scan tool. It's suppose to have DSM link but I think they just wired in a USB cored. My software wasn't registering the ecm.

So it's having issues during closed loop operation. Something to do with air/fuel by the sounds of it.

I think step 1 is to track Down what is going on with your obd port and to open up your ECM and figure out what has actually been done if anything.

There are a lot of knowledgable guys on here, but you have to give as much information as possible. Maybe fill us in on as much as you know about the car. Setup, condition, etc...

I keep thinking it's a fuel issue because on cold starts I.e. sitting over night. It idles real low and act like it wants to die. Give it a little gas and within 30 seconds it's fine. It doesn't seem to have any misses or stutters except under the parameters listed in my first post. Out of boost it acts just fine. And WOT it goes like stink. I have noticed between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle (heavier throttle but not full) it sometimes acts like it just hits a wall. Like fuel cut or something. Also I've noticed it seems to run a bit rich. I've only had the car for a little over a week so I'm trying to give information as I'm figuring out more about what exactly it's doing. The car is all stock minus an EGR delete. It's suppose to have DSM link. Now I'm not familiar with how they do the USB cord on 1 g's but on my 2g it plugged into my DLC port. This one is wired into the back of the OBD 1 port. Which doesn't seem right and I'm thinking that's why the port doesn't work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back