The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

2G New brakes for the GSX (budget)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PieEyedPiper

DSM Wiseman
Nov 13, 2004
North Bay Area, California
My brakes are squealing, sticking and rubbing. It's past that time. My gear has already seized up on me once about 6 years ago and rather than deal with all that rusty old junk I figured I'm better off just replacing the parts altogether.

I've been able to locate the following from a combination of MachV, eBay and RockAuto:
-2x front calipers oem replacement semi-loaded
-2x rear calipers oem replacement semi-loaded
-2x oem front rotors ($49)
-ebc redstuff front pads

The problem is now I'm spending a fortune on this. These items total up to roughly $480 shipped.

I still need rear pads (cheap is probably ideal for this), rear rotors, lube and brake fluid. Could be another 100 bucks.

This could easily skyrocket upwards of $600.00 and I don't think it's a very good idea to just drop huge cash on plain old replacement parts. Any suggestions?

EDIT: This thread has ran it's course. Unfortunately there is no "free-way" out and there aren't any other unbeknown to us , affordable brake upgrades besides the Cobra upgrade or the Outlander setup. But there's really no downside to that they're both great reasonably priced options. Outlander setup is the way to go. The parts have all arrived I just need to put them on!

Last edited:
2005-06 Outlander brackets. -moves the caliper out 8.5mm
2005-06 Outlander Rotors -294mm dia. instead of 275mm dia.
Stock DSM 2-pot calipers.

so pretty much your using the same caliper and just getting slightly larger disk and some extension brackets. am i correct? given that it is an upgrade on disk size the caliper is still grabbing the same size surface area so how is it an "upgrade"
asking this just cause i want to be educated not to put down.

as far as all options go the outlander does seem like the best choice for now.

I totally understand, but it's fortunate that I live in SoCal and have plenty of salvage yards within an hour away.

LoL, one other thing that made it even easier. I own one, and I Really want to turbo charge it.

I was able to test fit, and confirm Compatibility.

I did end up Buying the Caliper brackets new from Mitsu.

Attachments

• 04231456.jpg
    04231456.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 188
I didn't realize you owned one! I'm sure you know, but apparently there's a huge following for these? How do you like yours?
When I was researching 09+ lancer ralliart brake compatibility I inevitably ended up at some Outlander forum and got sucked in by their discussions! By the sounds of it the owners literally do "over night parts from japan".:p

I love it, it's a great DD, pretty versatile, I've had everything in it from 8ft 2x4's multiple front bumpers, and even fit my 19" Volks across the back.

The 2.4L Mivec is pretty Peppy, decent gas mileage.

The AWD clunks a little during hard acceleration.

KYB struts are OEM

I was actually thinking of putting my OG swirly's on it.

It actually has decent Ground clearance, but would definitely benefit from some wider, chunkier tires.

Seats 4 adults comfortably, 5 if someone is really skinny.

I'm actually looking to get a New one due to the fact they seat 7 now, and have an available v6.

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 2,702
Lol, and today I got rear ended in it....by a honda.

Just needs a new OEM bumper....I could have used that rear view camera.

What interests me is the Cooler glovebox addition to the dash, and I was surprised at the sheer amount of CF pieces available.

If you seach e-bay for Baer and eclipse you will find their Track systems complete for $495.00

This will include calipers, rotors, brackets, hardware, stainless hoses, centering rings everything!

They have 90-94 now and 2000+. They list 95-99 but they are currently of of stock on brackets.

good deal!

If you seach e-bay for Baer and eclipse you will find their Track systems complete for $495.00

This will include calipers, rotors, brackets, hardware, stainless hoses, centering rings everything!

They have 90-94 now and 2000+. They list 95-99 but they are currently of of stock on brackets.

good deal!

Not a bad deal at all until you need replacement rotors and they are $177 each.

or.. you just buy 94-04 Mustang Cobra rotors (they are the same dimensions).

If you really want to stay with the slot, drill, zinc look then you can order their DecelaRotors for the cobra and they are $134.50 each. (54045-020)

Just another option.. :)

They are not the same. They are not drilled correctly and I believe they have a different offset.

You can probably get them to work with slight modifications to the caliper mount.

I have the Baer but would rather do the Evo upgrade if the wheel clearance is there.

I got my front rotors on eBay for $240 shipped.
Included Centric S&D rotors with StopTech pads.
Nearly 5k miles after and they stop hard, yet again I don't go auto-x nor canyon running.
Vendor's name is Rirotors shipping took like 2 weeks despite their warehouse being 2 hours away from my house.

Also have you looked into the newer Cobra rotors? (I forger what exact years)
A member on here has those and they look bitchen if your into looks and their rotors are like 14".
Might be my next brake setup after these go.

Finally got around to doing this. Couldn't believe how simple it was, as I'd not done a full brake job before. My only hiccups were the following: partsgeek.com screwed me on the set of EBC Reds that I wanted so badly, but I do have a set of FWD Redstuff's now for a later sale or trade. Time was short so I had to run to Napa and ended up getting their "Napa Ultra Premium" brake pads. They're ceramic and supposedly much like OEM. I hate them. I cry over it.

I also had a bent slide pin on one of my calipers but replacing it wasn't any more trouble than a trip to the store. Oh and I had to reuse the old clips on one side cause the news ones I got from O'reillys didn't want to hold the pad very well.

So far only 60miles on the brakes. No hard braking yet.

Stupid Napa pads..

EDIT: 3 days in, so far loving it! The improvement is noticeable.

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Is the outlander brake upgrade only for the front brakes?

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...973-05-06-outlander-bigger-brake-upgrade.html

It should answer all your questions.

Although it wasn't mentioned in the build article, you can use the stock front GSX calipers, and the "Outlander" caliper brackets. Effectively the only items required to do the swap are the Brackets, and new brake rotors. I'm assuming the OP of the article went with the Outlander calipers due to the fact they are dual piston.

Take a look at your rear brakes, if they are vented, don't give it too much thought the early build 95's had larger vented rear discs than any other year.

i got rotors and pads from ebay, drilled n slotted, with ceramic pads from a place in chicago, fast shipping and cost was around 100 bucks for front and 100 for rear

I agree. So far, almost no dust and minimal noise. They're fine pads, they just lack the bite that a more performance oriented pad might have.

This is true, it never bothered me though because I only use them on my DD. I have always used EBC in my DSM's Had greens in my old Talon and have reds in this one.

i got rotors and pads from ebay, drilled n slotted, with ceramic pads from a place in chicago, fast shipping and cost was around 100 bucks for front and 100 for rear

Have fun when those rotors crack on you. And when your rims are covered in corrosive brake dust.

P.E.P you did end up getting Outlander calipers?
I'm thinking and planning what brake upgrade I shall go with in the near future. Really want 3kVR4 system, but I still want to be able to use 16" wheels for the winter.

No, I just picked up some rockauto 2g calipers. They were literally like 36 bucks ea. with no core charge. But that also includes at least one bent slider pin.
If your current calipers are in good shape I'd just reuse those to ensure you get your wheels to fit.

EDIT: I didn't mean to indicate that new calipers, eclipse or outlander, would not allow your wheels to fit. They're all the same caliper.

Last edited:
This is true, it never bothered me though because I only use them on my DD. I have always used EBC in my DSM's Had greens in my old Talon and have reds in this one.

Have fun when those rotors crack on you. And when your rims are covered in corrosive brake dust.

Do you have any proof to back this up? I know when I was just researching brakes I know quite a few love them, if I'm not mistaken I believe some moderators use them. I think they use the rotor and pad combo from R1 racing or technology something like that. I'll have to look it up when I get home.

Do you have any proof to back this up?

Proof that stuff you get off eBay for cheap is often crap? You're correct. There's no definitive proof of that always being true. Just as there's no proof that the JTM-GreenStuff pads that I make every winter by picking my nose and rubbing the snot on a small piece of metal that happens to match my Brembo calipers aren't as good as EBC-GreenStuffs; plus, my pads are much cheaper. Shall I make you a set? $15 a pair. PM for details.

Proof that stuff you get off eBay for cheap is often crap? You're correct. There's no definitive proof of that always being true. Just as there's no proof that the JTM-GreenStuff pads that I make every winter by picking my nose and rubbing the snot on a small piece of metal that happens to match my Brembo calipers aren't as good as EBC-GreenStuffs; plus, my pads are much cheaper. Shall I make you a set? $15 a pair. PM for details.

The eBay argument often depends on the vendor aswell. I more so wanted to read about the corrosive brake dust. I've never heard of it before this thread. Just curious on the subject that's all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back