The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved Need Trans help/advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbird

Proven Member
Nov 15, 2013
Little Rock, Arkansas
Alright guys, I have a few questions, any knowledge helps. After searching I cannot seem to find an adequate answer to my questions, and well as for shops out there, they obviously want to make money from trans rebuilds and won't give me a direct answer.

I have a 1990 awd turbo Eagle Talon, 5 speed trans and 123k original miles. I had a strange tick noise whenever I would pull hard in WOT in upper RPMs for a few days. After determining it was not rods or lifter tick making the noise as thought, I went to checking suspension issues. To my dismay I smelled what appeared to be transfer case fluid and or trans fluid... I parked in the garage that night and while rolling into the garage I heard somewhat of a cracking noise. I started to see a small 6 inch puddle form underneath the trans and transfer case and went to determine what it was leaking. It appears the AWD trans case end cover (http://www.jackstransmissions.com/collections/misc/products/awd-case-end-cover) as seen in that link has appeared to crack at the top. From my understanding the 5th gear synchro bolt or end nut bolt, not sure which gets loose and hits the cover and cracks it.

I called Jacks trans and they said they recommended a rebuild, which may be the case, however aside from the fact of never rebuilding a trans, me and my family are pretty good mechanics and the understanding of them. If I can just replace something small and the end cover to the trans, this would obviously be best for me and my budget currently. The transfer case and trans were shifting great while driving it home, fluid maybe lost like I said, a six inch puddle and have not driven since.

Anyone have any advice or dealt with a similar situation?

Thanks so much for any help,

Jordan

I had this happen 15 yrs ago. Not driving it was a good idea. Drain the end fluid and pull the cover to access damage. I repaired mine as you said. Replaced a few parts and the end cover. You may get lucky.

Thank you sir, do you know what you had to replace specifically besides the case end cover?

You can do this in the chassis. It is a pain, but doable. Get a new end nut, synchro and cover. One of the trans guys should have a used one for you.

I would reccomend pulling the trans and taking it apart. At 123k it should be ok, but it could have a bearing or 2 getting bad.

Thanks for all replies, I ended up calling TRE and got an end cover, end nut and reverse wavy washer. The synchro was fine as well as the synchro spring, luckily the bolt cracked the case when pulling into my garage and was not driven since. Everything appears to be fine, if anyone needs help sourcing parts or advice on what to do I will be happy to help after doing this.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back