1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Need help, won't stay running

Posted by LunarTerror, Jun 13, 2018

Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. LunarTerror

LunarTerror Probationary Member

Joined May 27, 2018
    Greensburg, Kentucky
    I just got my DSM Saturday and I went to pass someone on the way to work and a mist blew out the side of the engine bay. Now it won't stay running and idles rough. I had to pull of the side of the road because I lost most of my power. When I use the accrlerator it revs up a little for a second then goes back to idling at 100 or less RPM and dies. It also has black smoke coming out of the exhaust. The only code I have is for the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor which I have ordered a replacement for already. It is a 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. It has a 1997 eclipse gsx motor in it. AFPR sits at 3-5 PSI when not running after this and when it runs at 100 or less RPM it sits at about 40 PSI and it's fluctuating about 1-2 PSI. It also has a 16g turbo running 16 PSI.

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    St. Charles, Illinois
    What have you checked so far?

The first thing I'd look at is all the intake piping and couplers to see if something popped off.

On a 2G the base fuel pressure is 43.5 psi with the vacuum line off and plugged. With the line on the fuel pressure should track = base + manifold. So at idle the pressure will drop about 8psi since there is a vacuum in the manifold. At full boost it should be base + boost pressure. This is done so the injectors always have the same pressure across them and the fuel amount per unit of time stays constant regardless of the manifold pressure.

With an fault for the ECT sensor the car will run rich and could be hard to start. The sensor doesn't tend to die often, usually it's the wiring to it.

My DSM:
  3. boostdawd

boostdawd Supporting Member

Joined Apr 6, 2010
    phoenix, Arizona
    Do a boost leak test as well as a compression test first before u start replacing parts.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   automatic
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

GT35   manual
    1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (sold)

Street Build

16g   manual