The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Need help, won't stay running

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunarTerror

Probationary Member
May 27, 2018
Greensburg, Kentucky
I just got my DSM Saturday and I went to pass someone on the way to work and a mist blew out the side of the engine bay. Now it won't stay running and idles rough. I had to pull of the side of the road because I lost most of my power. When I use the accrlerator it revs up a little for a second then goes back to idling at 100 or less RPM and dies. It also has black smoke coming out of the exhaust. The only code I have is for the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor which I have ordered a replacement for already. It is a 1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. It has a 1997 eclipse gsx motor in it. AFPR sits at 3-5 PSI when not running after this and when it runs at 100 or less RPM it sits at about 40 PSI and it's fluctuating about 1-2 PSI. It also has a 16g turbo running 16 PSI.

What have you checked so far?

The first thing I'd look at is all the intake piping and couplers to see if something popped off.

On a 2G the base fuel pressure is 43.5 psi with the vacuum line off and plugged. With the line on the fuel pressure should track = base + manifold. So at idle the pressure will drop about 8psi since there is a vacuum in the manifold. At full boost it should be base + boost pressure. This is done so the injectors always have the same pressure across them and the fuel amount per unit of time stays constant regardless of the manifold pressure.

With an fault for the ECT sensor the car will run rich and could be hard to start. The sensor doesn't tend to die often, usually it's the wiring to it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back