Need Help On Head Gaskets, Do I Need To Spray Any Sealant On TheM>????

Posted by TheRealist, Apr 12, 2006
Newbie Forum - Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum.

1. TheRealist

TheRealist Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    55.6%
    Chula Vista, California
    I Bought someCopper spray a gasket HI-TEMP sealant, im just wanding if i have to spray my intake manifold gasket and head gasket? or any other gasket? or do you even have to spray them at al??
  2. BUCK

BUCK Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Summerville, South_Carolina
    Opinions differ on this - Personally I use an RTV type Sealant on the Intake, but no Sealant on the Stock Head or Exhaust Gaskets - DO use Anti Sieze on ALL the Exhaust & Turbo related Fasteners - & DO thoroughly Tap & clean ALL Thread bores - A lot of Brake Cleaner & Shop Towels come in handy.
  3. Jingx284

Jingx284 Banned Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Round Lake, Illinois
    same here, but i use the copper spray on my exhaust gaskets.
  4. TheRealist

TheRealist Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    55.6%
    Chula Vista, California
    So can you guys tell me what gaskets need to be sprayed? i'll give you rep for helping thanks. its becuz i had my head rebuilt and i have brand new gaskets
  5. gurmanator

gurmanator Proven Member

rapid city, South_Dakota
    I dont use any sealant on any gaskets but I use"hi-tac"on my intake gasket to hold it in place.I do use rtv on the half-moon gaskets on the valve cover gasket.
  6. talonTSIDriver

talonTSIDriver Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Stevens Point, Wisconsin
    It also depends on what type of head gasket you are using. If it's just a stock replacement HG, then I would use copper spray. If you're using a cometic HG, then DO NOT use anything. Your block and cylinder head are made from two totally different metals, The head is made from aluminum which expands to heat and a much different rate that the block does. The cometic HG is made to allow the block and cylinder head to expand at different rates. By using a sealant/spray, you know defeated the purpose of the cometic HG. There are a few other threads that debate this, just search a little bit, should not be hard to find.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  7. majik2k5

majik2k5 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    83.3%
    DSM Profiles:
    Lemoore, California
    My head gasket was sprayed with copper spray when put back on, and hi-tac used onthe intake manifold gasket. The only other gasket I put anything on are the throttle body gaskets, and I use gasket sealent for them. It seems to hold up pretty well and I haven't had the random boost leaks popping up from my throttle body like I used to.
  8. Jingx284

Jingx284 Banned Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Round Lake, Illinois
    intake manifold gasket -use a little rtv to hold it in place

your head gasket -use copper spray on both sides

exhaust manifold gasket-copper spray on both sides and antisieze on the studs torqued to 14lbs

valve cover-dab rtv, torque bolts to 10lbs

Its pretty basic stuff, just pay attention to the head gasket stuff
  9. TMCRacing

TMCRacing Proven Member

Sprindfield, Illinois
    Copper coat is for paper and metal gaskets only. This material should not be used on a stock head gasket.
  10. TheRealist

TheRealist Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    55.6%
    Chula Vista, California
    there not stock gaskets, there from Fel-pro
  11. dsm-onster

dsm-onster DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Bloxom, Virginia
    This is funnyLOL . Copper spray has been controvercial for use on metal, not composite.

I've popped so many OEM composite headgaskets. . . On various cars. Notibly the 4G63. I've sprayed all replacement gaskets w/ copper spray. And none have failed since. I'm not advocating the use of copper spray for higher durability. But it will not negate the potential strenth of an OEM material gasket.

I've run 30 psi w/ an 18G and FP2Xs, high timing and a lean tune (very, very high cylinder pressures) on the oem copper sprayed HG w/ nothing but arp headstuds.

Conversly. All of my felpro gaskets have failed even when ARP studs have been used. My old '85 T-bird TC could not keep a gasket over 20 psi no matter what I tried. . . until I went back to OEM.