The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need help guys 2g problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDsM20

Proven Member
Jun 11, 2014
San diego, California
My car was starting fine when I got it but today check engine light went on and wouldn't start I search and found idle surge or maybe a boost leak but I'm not sure so what I did was adjust the throttle line and loosen it up and clear the cel so then started the car and runs fine for a few mins idle fines stays at 700rpm now but the problem now is that somehow after I shift to second and third after 2k rpm the car stutters like my boost gauge goes up then down quick? I have exhaust leak around the heat thingy I know that and a thermostat leak near the engine and my plug to the very right is like leaking oil? I keep searching but couldn't match the problem

Am I running rich? Have boost leak or idle surge what do I do? I am going in a vacation for a month so I don't have time to do the maintenance yet but I will for sure when I get back but this thing is giving me a hard time :( idk what to do I don't want to sell another car it's like my 3rd car and I really want to keep this car

Need help guys at least give some thoughts or suggestions on what should I do thanks please don't make this a go search go search i did already I just need more suggestions thank you have a nice day and stay boosted!

Didnt have the chance because i took out the battery so it was erased i was scared to adjust the throttle line so i took out the battery i forgot to get the code :( sorry

I'm a little confused on your post, can't really understand,, but sounds like a boost leak test is necessary. Simple to do, that's a great start and fixes lots of DSMrs issues. Get that code asap too. Hope we can help you out

Yes a boost leak is a most. I was banging threw gears once and blew a coupler off my intercooler. Fortunately easy to find but my car wouldn't start either. You might have a significant vac leak.

Okay guys sorry for mia in a month so i bought a scanner and got the code! it was P0340 Camshaft sensor

Now im doing my researech on what i can do with this and you guys can help me also! thanks sorry for not replying!

You know where the cam sensor is located? On a 95-96 it's on the drivers side behind the rearmost intake camshaft gear/sprocket, with a 3 wire triangular connector.

97-99 is on the passenger side of intake cam, pretty easy to spot. Check the area for damage.

And go to the classifieds to buy a replacement sensor (<$40) unless you're nuts and have money for a new one, they're over $100 last I checked.

Definitly sounds like your CAS could be going out.. mine was extremely flakey on me prior to going out. Ended up buying a new one and she started right up. I have my 97 CAS if your in need.

So i took out the timing belt cover and cant find the CAS where is it located?[DOUBLEPOST=1408818126][/DOUBLEPOST]I found this gray wire but idk where it was connected is this the sensor?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    812.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    853.5 KB · Views: 75
At a bare minimum you have had a cas swap. Find out what you have. You can see a 1g cas on the passenger side of the intake cam

Your 95 came with the cas on the drivers side behind the intake cam gear , It looks like you also have a 1g cas on the passenger side of the intake cam. Does the one on the passenger side have the wires connected? If your car is running off of the 1g sensor on the passenger side then your cas signal is inverted and if you don't have ecmlink that could cause problems.

Well the wire just goes straight to the fuse box near the battery so i dont know ill check again tomorrow but now after i cleared the code and put back the tbelt cover started the car and my rpm went 2k and stayd there what couldve cause that?[DOUBLEPOST=1408838627][/DOUBLEPOST]And is it possible that my battery can cause the cas code on because my battery is 2 1/2 years old already and i found out that not enough power or voltage can cause that too? Just wondering

Last edited:
I think its probably the one in the passenger side because i dont see any wire near the intake cam gear but im not too sure how do i replaced the other one ? And which CAS sensor do i get ?

It would be best to use a 95-96 cas if you don't have ecmlink, but it depends why the 1g sensor is on there? do you have a 6 bolt swap? Maybe the original sensor went out and someone installed the 1g sensor so they wouldn't have to remove the timing belt to change the sensor. Or the crank sensor could have been bad.

Nope i have a stock engine in the car so what do i do? My car is starting fine now but wouldnt take the risk to drive it my idle goes to 900 to 1k back and fourth and i think i might heed to change my valve cover gasket because its leaking not that bad though so ill wait when i can get sparkplugs also[DOUBLEPOST=1408891283][/DOUBLEPOST]I think they really re wired the CAS because i saw a wire cutted near the intake cam gear i have to check later on but anyways do i just replaces the 1g CAS i never heard of a 1g cas going bad maybe it was cause by my valve cover leak? Would that be possible?[DOUBLEPOST=1408909405][/DOUBLEPOST]I think this is a 1g cas right? And is my wiring correct? Also notice that my air filter intake cone made a weird noise when i try to rev? Is that possible to make me my engine turned off?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    863.5 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back