The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Need help buying a 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways99

Proven Member
Oct 19, 2014
KC, Missouri
Guys, Im in the market for buying a 2g. Where do I look and what do I look for? Also it will have to be awd. Thanks in advance.

Classifieds on here! Just make sure you know the history and don't buy a hacked together car. Do a compresion test and we'll just go over the car. Make sure everything makes sense and if you can start with a unmodded car. That way you can build to your liking :)

Yea but i cant travel much and their are like no dsm's neer me. I went and looked at one the other day but it had several problems.

You can always try craigslist or autotrader for in your area or just keep an eye out on classifieds for something in your area. Thats the best you can do. I had to drive 3 hours to get my GST and drive it all the way back with a bad hub and rotted out strut tower. Scariest most fun time I have ever had.

Honestly, 2G's are rare. Just be patient and wait until you find EXACTLY what you want. If you're looking for a gsx give it time. Don't rush into it because there are a lot of things you can get cheated out on (just like any other car). Where are you located?

Oh and GST's are fun too ;) I personally would love a GSX or convert mine to AWD, but being able to spin the tires and the fact that front wheel drive makes it so squirrelly adds more excitement to your driving! Make sure to check the turbo for shaft play and all.

I love to hear new people getting into these cars. Much respect.

Check the fuel filler area for rust, the rear quarters inside the wheelwells in front of the rear wheels, and the front strut tower seams and general areas for rust. Even rusted out cars usually only have rust in those areas. Also the lower rear quarters under the side skirts can be rusty as well.

As for engine, look for bolts/heatshields missing, things generally ghettoed together, and things like that. If you familiarize yourself with a not terrible condition car first it will help a lot.

Check the fuel filler area for rust, the rear quarters inside the wheelwells in front of the rear wheels, and the front strut tower seams and general areas for rust. Even rusted out cars usually only have rust in those areas. Also the lower rear quarters under the side skirts can be rusty as well.

As for engine, look for bolts/heatshields missing, things generally ghettoed together, and things like that. If you familiarize yourself with a not terrible condition car first it will help a lot.
Also, you can go to a wrecking yard and check to see if there are any dsms there that you can peak into and look over. Might help to familiarize yourself with the cars.

things you can get cheated out on (just like any other car). Where are you located?

I'm in Kansas city. Hardly and dsm's around here but we've got a good tuner from what I've heard

DO NOT buy a car that needs work or wont run. I bought my first DSM on impulse against everyones recommendations.... i regretted it. im into building my second one from the ground up . bought a wrecked car and an empty shell still going lots a time lots of money and plenty enough work.

I am in St. Joseph, I bought a GST and loved it soo much I tore it all apart to build to my liking. There are a few around, just like everyone says, be PATIENT, and wait for the right deal. If you need any help looking pm me and I will use our resources to see if I can help you.

I am in St. Joseph, I bought a GST and loved it soo much I tore it all apart to build to my liking. There are a few around, just like everyone says, be PATIENT, and wait for the right deal. If you need any help looking pm me and I will use our resources to see if I can help you
Thanks man. I'll let you know. I wentered and looked at a 95 tsI but my dad talked me out of because of the work it needed. I'll let you know when I find one :hellyeah:

Get a 98 or 99..
Check the towers for rust, I bought mine with rust, but I plan on replacing them.
Lower miles, no mods or very little mods. The more mods, the more chances are, of you getting something hacked up!
AWD will be your main goal, if you can't find a AWD, you will wish you did!

This is my 3rd 2g....

2500 Landed me a whole lot of car, extremely low miles, very little mods, I couldn't be happier, unless I got a GSX, but none to my like we avail when I was looking!

Get a 98 or 99..
Check the towers for rust, I bought mine with rust, but I plan on replacing them.
Lower miles, no mods or very little mods. The more mods, the more chances are, of you getting something hacked up!

This is my 3rd 2g....

2500 Landed me a whole lot of car, extremely low miles, very little mods, I couldn't be happier, unless I got a GSX, but none to my like we avail when I was looking!
Nice car, but the lamb doors arnt for me

They can be a pain in the ass :D My drivers door cylinder doesn't work while it's cold, so my left arm is getting pretty beefy!

Door is saggin after I just re-hung it, told the shop, and even showed them how to open the door, they still failed!

And it does get old having everyone stop and ask you questions about them...

Sometimes I don't even open the door up lambo style to bypass those people!

I've bought a GST shell before, a bone stock GST, bone stock TSi AWD, and another mild build TSi AWD. I've had the mild build for 3 years now and couldn't be happier with it. Have been adding parts to my liking since then but a lot of the mods done are still from the PO. When people say don't buy modded DSMs they don't realize how much money a PO could have put into the car itself, motor, trans, etc. If you know what you are doing you can benefit from buying a modded DSM. Mods can be really expensive depending on your goals.

I've bought a GST shell before, a bone stock GST, bone stock TSi AWD, and another mild build TSi AWD. I've had the mild build for 3 years now and couldn't be happier with it. Have been adding parts to my liking since then but a lot of the mods done are still from the PO. When people say don't buy modded DSMs they don't realize how much money a PO could have put into the car itself, motor, trans, etc. If you know what you are doing you can benefit from buying a modded DSM. Mods can be really expensive depending on your goals.
You are correct that buying a modded car can be good. My only problem with buying a car that has mods is the unknown. Obviously the guy who built it drove the s*** out of it and so there is no way you can know if the car is about to blow up (to a certain extent). Generally, when people say you should buy a stock car its because everything on that car is factory and so you don't have to think about all the ways that the previous owner may have slapped parts together. Not hating. Just bringing two sides to this discussion LOL[DOUBLEPOST=1418093364][/DOUBLEPOST]
Get a 98 or 99..

This is my 3rd 2g....

Hey! Don't hate one us 2ga's! Hahahaha I do admit that I like the body of the 2gb's better, but gotta give love for all 2g's...

Honestly I like the 2gb look better but the 2ga talon doesn't look bad either imo[DOUBLEPOST=1418132465][/DOUBLEPOST]So I talked to this guy: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4795490036.html

I was able to talk him down to 6k. When I showed my dad he yelled at me and said "you don't need a project". I want it so bad but I know it wont happen. Back to the drawing board :beatentodeath:

Last edited:
6 grand for a gst thats not running is pretty stupid. Also, I'm not sure how a bolt ends up in the cylinder when the car is running. The story doesnt make much sense to me. I would stay clear from it at that price.

6 grand for a gst thats not running is pretty stupid. Also, I'm not sure how a bolt ends up in the cylinder when the car is running. The story doesnt make much sense to me. I would stay clear from it at that price.
Yea and 6k is my max budget so it would sit until I could work on it and afford it

Classifieds on here! Just make sure you know the history and don't buy a hacked together car. Do a compresion test and we'll just go over the car. Make sure everything makes sense and if you can start with a unmodded car. That way you can build to your liking :)
Agree with this, I bought my talon tsi off the classifieds from blackwidow97 (corey). I see there are few gsx/tsi for around your price range. Check them out and maybe you will get lucky and have a build thread on the car like I did. :D

I had to fly to ohio to buy mine. I'm in MS. I'll keep a look out, but I agree with the 98. They made some changes in 97 that caused a few bugs that needed to be worked out.

How far can you travel because there is quite a few within 300ish miles from you. Compared to that $6000 gst it seems like it might be a good option. I drove farther than that to get my talon. Sometimes it's worth it to get a fair deal.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back