The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

need a good intercooler good for 30+PSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Its only 3", wow the VRSF is 3.5" thick! I believe that just answered my question. LOL
Right now I have a little Greddy thats 20 x 10 x 2.5 I got from a buddy a while ago and its garbage. I want to go bigger because I just went from a 16g to a 20g. I just got my engine installed and everything back together and I want to get the very best I can out of my setup.

I also found this DEJON powerhouse 2g kit. Same piping route as the ETS kit and intercoler end tanks, difference intercooler core:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Dejon flanges are paper thin. I had two Dejon piping kits and each time I had AMS weld on thicker flanges at the throttle body and the CBV.

Just something to think about OP.

I do like that core though ^^^^ Looks like the old Apex'i core.

Its only 3", wow the VRSF is 3.5" thick! I believe that just answered my question. LOL
Right now I have a little Greddy thats 20 x 10 x 2.5 I got from a buddy a while ago and its garbage. I want to go bigger because I just went from a 16g to a 20g. I just got my engine installed and everything back together and I want to get the very best I can out of my setup.

im right there with you buddy, my greddy is holding my T-25 and stucks.... even thoug hthe t-25 is blown, probably cause of the boost leaks the Greddy creates with the worst piping ever. and im going from a t-25 to an fp red hahahha im getting VRSF if i can know if they have a 4 inch thick core, cant seem to get ahold of them at all.... IF A VRSF VENDOR SEES THIS I HOPE YOU CAN ANSWER THAT QUESTION FOR ME!

need to know: pressure drop for VRSF, cooling temps for VRSF, and how much CFM a 4 inch core would be raited at from VRSF, or if they can even do that, and how much it would cost. id pick that up in 10 minutes if u can answer me!!!!!! wanna make a sale? :sneaky:

Edit: that Dejon powerhouse core looks like crap, look at the end tank welds... their like ALL welded instead of bent and then welded.... i bet you that would blow pretty easy, welds look really bad too. definitly not going with that one.

Op, Vrsf only sells te kit mentioned above, no 4 inch cores. They are also on back order until at least the beginning of October. I've been waiting for one, but now considering moving on. GL!

Op, Vrsf only sells te kit mentioned above, no 4 inch cores. They are also on back order until at least the beginning of October. I've been waiting for one, but now considering moving on. GL!

back order really isnt the problem.... cant they custom make a bigger core? obviously their website isnt gonna advertize, but i know they have a fab guy that can prob do anything so it would make sense.

Edit: just called them and they only have the 3.5, so your right, they said it should hold the Red no problem, and that they have a talon running this FMIC with 675 AWHP..... i guess i found my cheap IC ill let you guys know how it performs when i order and install it. they also didnt say anything about being backordered

Last edited:
I don't know the pressure drop but looking at logs from the track where I ran my 11.6 @ 121 my IAT's waiting in line to run were 85*. Once I launched and hit the end of the quarter mile my IAT's were 93* and I'm running 30psi on a 16g exhaust wheel, which puts it WAY out of its efficiency range, so it pushes a lot of hot air.

:dsm:

If you are worried about IATs and pressure drop then it's time to stop being cheap and look into quality Garrett cores, period.

Can I keep the bumper beam with this kit?

Yes all you have to do is trim the lower side of the crash beam just enough to let the intercooler fit behind it. I have some pics in my profile with the crash beam installed. You also get to keep your AC as well as it doesn't get in the way of any ac lines.

I also trimmed the middle part of the crash support to allow more air to come in thru the bumper since i had also trimmed the black middle piece off the bumper.

Attachments

• fmic[1].jpg
    fmic[1].jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 489
I've been running a CXRacing 4" IC and thought it would be ok but just like Kiggly told me it has low pressure drops but doesn't cool well at all. It's a huge restriction! The Buschur's ebay IC test confirms the same results. On my car it doesn't even cool well at 20psi :toobad:. Right off the trailer on a decent day AIT were 77* before the pull after. Looking at a 30psi log of a 2nd gear pull AIT sored to 127*. On another day at the track AIT's went as high as 140+*. Not sure what the AIT's were before the pull but it wasn't a hot day. 140+* AIT! That's ####ing terrible!

Look at the design of the end tanks and the design on the fins (internal design of the fins). Up to a certain point design is more important than the size. A 3 1/2 or even a 4" core doesn't mean much.

I've been running a CXRacing 4" IC and thought it would be ok but just like Kiggly told me it has low pressure drops but doesn't cool well at all. It's a huge restriction! The Buschur's ebay IC test confirms the same results. On my car it doesn't even cool well at 20psi :toobad:. Right off the trailer on a decent day AIT were 77* before the pull after. Looking at a 30psi log of a 2nd gear pull AIT sored to 127*. On another day at the track AIT's went as high as 140+*. Not sure what the AIT's were before the pull but it wasn't a hot day. 140+* AIT! That's ####ing terrible!

Look at the design of the end tanks and the design on the fins (internal design of the fins). Up to a certain point design is more important than the size. A 3 1/2 or even a 4" core doesn't mean much.

CX racing does not have the same core design as the VRSF period. its been gone over before. but thanks everyone else for your temp specs.

CX racing does not have the same core design as the VRSF period. its been gone over before. but thanks everyone else for your temp specs.
I don't know about any thread comparing the two cores. I'm going by looking at the pics and they have a similar fin design to cxracing. Now Godspeed has a fin design closer to a ets or Garrett's core. Also someone stated vrsf is rates at 1150 cfm. On their site it states that .

To start of deciding which IC core to spend your hard earned cash on you need to come up with a airflow figure at a specific boost level. I'll use my DSM results for an example here, just input what you want to come up with the correct number for your application.

I bought my 68HTA knowing that it was capable of flowing 47lbs/min and I was going to run about 30psi to get it there. So you've got to convert airflow to cubic feet minute (CFM) and boost pressure to pressure ratio (PR).
CFM = (L x RPM x VE x Pr) / 5660
PR = (14.7 + Boost) / 14.7
So just plug in the info and do the conversions for CFM and PR, here are the numbers for my application.
PR = (14.7 + 30) / 14.7 = 3.04
CFM = (2.0 x 6500 x 95% x 3.04) / 5660 = 663.32

46lbs/min @ 30psi = 663.32 @ 3.04​
Now you'll be able to figure out exactly what size of intercooler you'll want for your specific setup, below are the equations.
Minimum Cross Area = ((CFM / PR) + 12.84) / 11.63
Intercool Height = (Minimum Cross Area / IC Depth
Total Volume = (WHP - 50.17) / 0.533
Intercooler Width = (Total Volume / Minimum Cross Area)
So just plug in the info (I used 400whp as my goal and a 3.5" deep IC)
((663.32 / 3.04) + 12.84) / 11.63 = 19.87 sq/in (MCA)
19.87 / 3.5" = 5.68" (Height)
(400 - 50.17) / 0.553 = 632.60 cu/in (Volume)
632.60 / 19.87 = 31.84" (Width)​
So the perfect IC core size for my setup, using the above equations, is 32" x 6" x 3.5". Since size contraints do come into play its not always possible to find a IC core that "fits the bill" of the perfect core. For example, if the widest core for your application is 28.5" then you'll want a taller IC to make up that surface area you'll be losing. The ideal core for my numbers is 32" x 6" however, the VRSF core is 28.5" x 10" so I lose 4" off the width but gain it off the height so its perfect.

Here are the dimensions of the three kits we keep referring to, see which one fits your car the best.
VRSF - 28.5" x 10" x 3.5"
PR - 29" x 11" x 3"
ETS - 25" x 10"x 3"​
To make it fair, lets see what the numbers would come out to had I used a 3" depth for the core.
19.87 / 3" = 6.63" (Height)
632.60 / 19.87 = 31.84"​
You'll notice the only thing that changed was the height of the core, and being that the PR core is 1" taller and 0.5" wider the 0.5" you lose in depth doesn't matter.

I wish we could know for certain each cores pressure drop or CFM, we just have to go off whats advertised. :idontknow: I pulled all the above info from here and just applied it to DSM's. ---> Intercooler Calculator

To start of deciding which IC core to spend your hard earned cash on you need to come up with a airflow figure at a specific boost level. I'll use my DSM results for an example here, just input what you want to come up with the correct number for your application.

I bought my 68HTA knowing that it was capable of flowing 47lbs/min and I was going to run about 30psi to get it there. So you've got to convert airflow to cubic feet minute (CFM) and boost pressure to pressure ratio (PR).
CFM = (L x RPM x VE x Pr) / 5660
PR = (14.7 + Boost) / 14.7
So just plug in the info and do the conversions for CFM and PR, here are the numbers for my application.
PR = (14.7 + 30) / 14.7 = 3.04
CFM = (2.0 x 6500 x 95% x 3.04) / 5660 = 663.32

46lbs/min @ 30psi = 663.32 @ 3.04​
Now you'll be able to figure out exactly what size of intercooler you'll want for your specific setup, below are the equations.

Minimum Cross Area = ((CFM / PR) + 12.84) / 11.63
Intercool Height = (Minimum Cross Area / IC Depth
Total Volume = (WHP - 50.17) / 0.533
Intercooler Width = (Total Volume / Minimum Cross Area)
So just plug in the info (I used 400whp as my goal and a 3.5" deep IC)
19.87 / 3.5" = 5.68" (Height)
632.60 / 19.87 = 31.84" (Width)​
So the perfect IC core size for my setup, using the above equations, is 32" x 6" x 3.5". Since size contraints do come into play its not always possible to find a IC core that "fits the bill" of the perfect core. For example, if the widest core for your application is 28.5" then you'll want a taller IC to make up that surface area you'll be losing. The ideal core for my numbers is 32" x 6" however, the VRSF core is 28.5" x 10" so I lose 4" off the width but gain it off the height so its perfect.

Here are the dimensions of the three kits we keep referring to, see which one fits your car the best.
VRSF - 28.5" x 10" x 3.5"
PR - 29" x 11" x 3"
ETS - 25" x 10"x 3"​
To make it fair, lets see what the numbers would come out to had I used a 3" depth for the core.
19.87 / 3" = 6.63" (Height)
632.60 / 19.87 = 31.84"​
You'll notice the only thing that changed was the height of the core, and being that the PR core is 1" taller and 0.5" wider the 0.5" you lose in depth doesn't matter.

I wish we could know for certain each cores pressure drop or CFM, we just have to go off whats advertised. :idontknow: I pulled all the above info from here and just applied it to DSM's. ---> Intercooler Calculator

thanks for the info gofer, that helps alot, although im terrible at math, the ETS one i did want was 28x12x3 the ultra race, the vrsf one is 3.5 thick and 10 high so that should be fine, although im not sure if i believe the numbers from VRSF either, but ill prob go with that just because its a decent price and everyone says good things.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back