The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

need a good intercooler good for 30+PSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer Fabrications

10+ Year Contributor
May 9, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
hey, i searched around a little bit and found a thread similar to "best intercooler" but looks like mods closed it up, thought id open a new thread based on this because my build is about to finish and the FMIC is the last thing i need.

Now i know the ETS Ultra short route race IC is probably the best out there, and to be honest, if i had the cash would pick it up ASAP, BUT i'm lookin' for something for a better price. It has to be pressure tested for 30 PSI + ( anyone running this much boost on their DD FMIC?) also i need it to be shortest route possible.

here is my Build:
.040 Mahle Forged Pistons (machinist effed up my .020 overbore :banghead:
Scat H beam Rods
FP RED (clipped turbine 15 degrees, with Tial 38MM External wastegate & O2 dump)
PTE 1000CC
Walbro 255LPH (not yet rewired)
DSMLink V3
AEM Wideband 02
arp head and main studs
ACL race berrings
and at the moment run a really SH*TTY greddy FMIC that's upper IC pipe when going through the frame (long route) the coupler snags on sheet metal)

thats the basic Gist.

Almost all intercooler can handle that boost nowadays... the greddy flow is just horrible 180 degree bends tons of pipe, etc...

VRSF and Punishment are perfect for a budget. I know plenty of people running them around 30+psi. ETS will have a more EFFICIENT core, but the VRSF and Punishment core can handle pressure just as well.

oh i forgot to say this is my daily driver, my buddy has a kenetic and he blew his end tank and had to have a 1 inch welded bar on his. i dont really want to run into that..... so ive been steered away from VRSF specifically.... and greddy is an over priced piece of slow equipment. ( i have one of their intercoolers now and its crap, hense the OP)

ohhhh and like i said... needs to be short route.

I know ETS pressure checks their intercoolers to 35 psi.

I run an ETS, and couldn't be happier, if you read my posts you know I am always complimenting them.

ETS also has a 2g short route, race intercooler: ETS 95-99 Eclipse 2G DSM 12" Ultra Race Super Short Route Intercooler Kit

never mind, you mentioned that. I cant think of a better intercooler that will fit your needs, you can always wait until they have a sale to pick up a kit. I waited until I found someone on the classified sell a BNIB kit for the 1g.

What i suggest is to find out how much the intercooler would be if you purchased it from ETS, then I would piece together the intercooler piping youself. Save some money, bead you own pipes and use the stock 2g TB elbow.

I also found this DEJON powerhouse 2g kit. Same piping route as the ETS kit and intercoler end tanks, difference intercooler core:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The greddy intercooler definitely has the worst routed piping out of almost every intercooler on the market. As for cooling efficiency and quality of end tanks, and welds the greddy is just as good as any other intercooler on the market and can easily handle 30+ psi. I use the greddy front mount and run 30+ psi. If your going to buy a new one the punishment and VRSF are both quality intercoolers and have better routed piping than the greddy and can both handle 30 psi. But you don't need to buy a new one as the greddy will be able to handle the boost.

PSI doesn't matter, CFMs do, how much air is your turbo pushing, not how much "boost" is it making.

VR Speed FMIC - 1150 cfm
PR FMIC - 980 cfm
ETS FMIC (race) - 980 cfm​

If you plan on running the FP Red you could see up to 60 lbs/min and 13.49cfm = 1 lb/min. If you run that FP Red to 60 lbs/min you'll want an intercooler that can support 809.4 cfm of airflow.

:dsm:

well ETS has my vote as well.... the point was cost of that was a hell of a cost, i guess i could always try out the VRSF (its raited for the most CMF right?) and if it blows.. oh well ill get an ETS ultra race core? the inlets and outlets look almost the same... i guess the welded 90 degree pipe on the core would cause a problem for an ETS core but hey i guess we will find out.. unless i can squeeze a discount out of michael at ETS

oh another thing about the turbo and tune, were gonna take it as high as it will go on the mahle pistons and highest boost possible with less then 1 degree knock with dsmlink, so the actuall pressure that will be flowing isnt quite determined.. i just know 30+ PSI

10 inches looks so short though compared to the 12" ultra race, anyone got a pix of it on their 2g? the VRSF or ETS ultra shortest route?

VR Speed FMIC - 1150 cfm
PR FMIC - 980 cfm
ETS FMIC (race) - 980 cfm​

If you plan on running the FP Red you could see up to 60 lbs/min and 13.49cfm = 1 lb/min. If you run that FP Red to 60 lbs/min you'll want an intercooler that can support 809.4 cfm of airflow.

Wow those are pretty good numbers to know! Was there a thread detailing how they were reached? I am curious.

Beautiful car Corey! ^^^^^^^^ :thumb:

I've always heard good things about the Punishment Racing kit. A friend of mine runs one on his car, and it is more efficient than my current FMIC(old Buschur kit). His temps are ALWAYS 10*+ cooler than mine.

VRSF for the win. For being a "budget" intercooler, it is superior to many others of equal or greater value. The VRSF intercooler has been proven, over and over again to handle many variations of boost levels, as well as power levels.

good to know everyone, gofer, is that an ETS? im leaning tword the ETS.. BUT im so impatient i might just go with VRSF.... not sure how the install process is for either, i know the ETS you have to remove the crash beam and cut a little of the bumper (the triangle) but i havent heard anything about how smoothely the VRSF is. it looks way good though.

The ets 3" race core can be had for just over $500 shipped. Just bought one a few months back. The piping, couplers and t clamps I bought separately and cost me a little over $100. The oh complaint I have about the ets intercooler is the way it mounts. The only mounts it came will are 2 little tabs welded on the top and some flat aluminum stock to hang it with. I didn't like this since it allows the FMIC to swing freely at the bottom. I choose to weld the aluminum stock I have left over to the end tanks for added support.

Last edited by a moderator:
good to know everyone, gofer, is that an ETS? im leaning tword the ETS.. BUT im so impatient i might just go with VRSF.... not sure how the install process is for either, i know the ETS you have to remove the crash beam and cut a little of the bumper (the triangle) but i havent heard anything about how smoothely the VRSF is. it looks way good though.

With the vrsf kit you will also have to cut the triangle piece of the radiator support. Not a big deal tho pretty easy.

Wow those are pretty good numbers to know! Was there a thread detailing how they were reached? I am curious.
No, just the manufacturers website(s).
Its VRSF FMIC kit and the install isn't as "smooth" as you might think from reading their ad. They mention cutting of the radiator support which does need to be done however, they don't mention you'll need to relocate your coolant overflow bottle, drill/tap holes to mount the core, and if your car is A/T you'll have to relocate the transmission cooler. Anyone running this kit have a hard time getting the UICP bolted to the TB/IM? I hear a lot of people bitching about the angle of the pipe and trying to fit the bolt through there...

Its not a walk in the park but once its done you've got a good FMIC setup that, for the price, works well. I went from the Hahn FMIC to the VRSF and wanted to throw the HRC setup in the trash because it sucked so bad. If you've got the money I suggest getting the ETS core though, its more dense internally (has more cooling fins) so you'll have lower charge temps.

No, just the manufacturers website(s).

Its VRSF FMIC kit and the install isn't as "smooth" as you might think from reading their ad. They mention cutting of the radiator support which does need to be done however, they don't mention you'll need to relocate your coolant overflow bottle, drill/tap holes to mount the core, and if your car is A/T you'll have to relocate the transmission cooler. Anyone running this kit have a hard time getting the UICP bolted to the TB/IM? I hear a lot of people bitching about the angle of the pipe and trying to fit the bolt through there...

Its not a walk in the park but once its done you've got a good FMIC setup that, for the price, works well. I went from the Hahn FMIC to the VRSF and wanted to throw the HRC setup in the trash because it sucked so bad. If you've got the money I suggest getting the ETS core though, its more dense internally (has more cooling fins) so you'll have lower charge temps.

I put both the studs on the right side and the bolts on the left. It worked well for me. Threading the bottom right nut on takes a little while but not to bad.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back