The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

My new 90 Eclipse GS-Turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's the valve stem seals smoking out the tailpipe. It's always the valve stem seals. You can see the oil in the exhaust ports. It's just too bad they didn't get changed when the head was off since it would have been a zillion times easier.

I used my dads truck today to take a bunch of my old car parts in for scrap iv been hanging on to them for years and decided I was never going to use them... So it come to 1750lbs of mixed steel and I got $147 for it LOL

Any way thats not really alot BUT it was just enuff to get myself a CXRacing 1g bolt on hard line intercooler piping kit off eBay for my car iv been wanting one sins I got the car but just haven't had the money so im pretty happy and I can get rid of the half rotted out stock rubber ones

I was reading in the Tech tab and found the Stage 0 free mods for cheap bastard mods sins im low on funds right now I guess im a cheap bastard LOL

the 1st one I did was to the MAF to make it flow better you can see here iv already done it

7457_591223980917814_1177989420_n.jpg

The 2nd that I was going to do was to remove the restrictor in the boost controller but as you can see my boost controller is broke... When I got the car the vacuum from the wastegate was run the the remaining nipple so I thought the broken one was the open ended one but after looking at some vacuum diagrams I now know thats not the case and I need a new boost controller

946131_591223987584480_1317617109_n.jpg

Iv also ordered a EGR block off plate the other day so I guess im ahead of the game the so as soon as that gets here all the emission vacuum lines will be removed and most of the other stuff has been done I also have a spare valve cover breather left over from my old 89 Probe GT

Well I fired up my car for the first time in about a week to try out the new tweaks I did they work fine but im afraid that leaky valve seal is about done she was smoking more and missing more so I guess ill need to fix that sooner thin I thought

Just an FYI, you can do the seals with the head on the car in a few hours with this: Mitsubishi 4G63 Valve Spring Compressor

And some rope to fish down into your cylinders.

Just pop the spark plugs out, remove the timing belt, remove the cams, rotate the crank so that the cylinder to be worked on is at BDC, fish the rope in there (hardest part!), compress the cylinder to TDC and start going nuts.

IMO that tool is cheaper than new oil, oil filter, headgasket, new coolant, and intake/exhaust gaskets. Just be sure to stuff rags into the holes in the head so you don't lose some keepers, cause you'll really be pissed having to drop the oil pan for that.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...1-head-block-valve-stem-seal-replacement.html
^Guide

Just an FYI, you can do the seals with the head on the car in a few hours with this: Mitsubishi 4G63 Valve Spring Compressor

And some rope to fish down into your cylinders.

Just pop the spark plugs out, remove the timing belt, remove the cams, rotate the crank so that the cylinder to be worked on is at BDC, fish the rope in there (hardest part!), compress the cylinder to TDC and start going nuts.

IMO that tool is cheaper than new oil, oil filter, headgasket, new coolant, and intake/exhaust gaskets. Just be sure to stuff rags into the holes in the head so you don't lose some keepers, cause you'll really be pissed having to drop the oil pan for that.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...1-head-block-valve-stem-seal-replacement.html
^Guide

Cool man thanks thats just what I was looking for :hellyeah: But im alittle short on cash at the moment so it mite be a bit luckily the car in more of a project and I really don't drive it right now just to test stuff out but hopefully I will be able to do it in the next couple of weeks

Some goodies come in today a Torque Solution BOV bypass plug and a Beck & Arnley oil psi sender switch for the oil gauge

936400_591641050876107_1089480728_n.jpg

Got the BOV bypass plug installed in the BOV return best $7 I spent so far on the car because I can now hear the BOV go SSSSSSSHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh and I love it

992919_591641060876106_9292856_n.jpg

Here's the new oil psi sender next to the old and broken one any guess's why my oil gauge didn't work LOL

292654_591641057542773_663623816_n.jpg

Getting cleaner you can also see that iv already removed the emission vacuum lines and hopefully the EGR block off comes soon

580280_591641084209437_948952996_n.jpg

That moment that you realize both your turbo cars were fierce rivals

1_zps89682706.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered me a Voodoo 3 MBC today I heard there pretty good plus there cheap witch is good when your broke LOL I also got me a set of Accel spark plug wires coming that I got on sell

Yippy :D My CXRacing hardline kit come today

972249_592657634107782_1049023155_n.jpg

Just when you think you fixed all the stupid it shows up and bites you in the ass... You can see someone cut the top outlet instead of fixing it the right way :banghead

1604_592657617441117_1076586988_n.jpg

And this is how they fixed it 2 90*'s and a peace of pipe :banghead

934052_592657630774449_241229431_n.jpg

Ya bolt on my ass if the top intercooler outlet was not cut I mite not of had the play to get the top piping on and still had to cut the hole in the fender well bigger to fit and the CXRacing bottom piping did not fit at all I think your sapost to cut the bottom intercooler inlet and shorten it a bit but f*ck that I found that if you turn the 2 fittings they line right up so I bought a peace of steel pipe 9 1/2" and it went right together :super

1388_592657647441114_1423651265_n.jpg

All done

944417_592657670774445_609110451_n.jpg

Here's a little vid for you guys

Its don't rattle that loud in real life its just my crappy phone

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H4BKrzdH-A]90 Eclipse GS Turbo 2nd vid - YouTube[/ame]

I would of tried to make a better one but shes been on E for almost 2 weeks now so its got to be running on fums LOL

you should pull the cruise control out and recirculate your Blow off valve. I would also go back to using your stock Blow off valve, I had the same cx racing one when I started my build.

find you a relay to close those headlight doors. Relay is plugged into the fuse box mounted next to the passenger strut tower.

Paint color looks like R33 "Raspberry Red Metallic" - same as my 90 Laser.

Look at the sticker on the driver's C-pillar door and at the upper right of this sticker will show the month and year this vehicle left the Normal, ILL plant. Mine was June of 1989

you should pull the cruise control out and recirculate your Blow off valve. I would also go back to using your stock Blow off valve, I had the same cx racing one when I started my build.

Im planing on pulling the cruise control out I just haven't got to in yet and im looking for a real Greddy BOV to put on you know something you can hear from 3 blocks away LOL

find you a relay to close those headlight doors. Relay is plugged into the fuse box mounted next to the passenger strut tower.

Paint color looks like R33 "Raspberry Red Metallic" - same as my 90 Laser.

Look at the sticker on the driver's C-pillar door and at the upper right of this sticker will show the month and year this vehicle left the Normal, ILL plant. Mine was June of 1989

Im was made April of 1989 and im not 100% on the color the sticker under the hood is to far gone but your probably right on what it is

I decided sins I was already dirty to pull the AC system out... I should of gone to bed ### this turned into a cluster f*ck :banghead

To get to the AC crap I pretty much had to rip the car apart

181273_593018884071657_892448171_n.jpg

1005972_593018890738323_1501275609_n.jpg

Yup fix 1 thing f*ck up 4 more the car fell off the jack and crushed the bottom of the door needless to say im pissed :evil: Iv NEVER NEVER EVER had a car fall off a jack not in dirt not on a hill not even with the jack a a bad angle but this makes the 3rd car this year to fall off a jack and all in this drive wall :quoi

10769_593018887404990_277221293_n.jpg

You guys know that old Nascar movie with Tom Cruise "Days of Thunder" remember that seen when after he wrecks into every thing and pretty much destroys the car thin goes into the pit and the and the one mechanic says "Look'e there a panel we don't half to fix" and thin the crew chef kicks it in and says "Now I don't want you spoiled there Buddy"

Thats kinda how im feeling right now

The only good thing to come out of the hole damn thing is when I pulled the door panel off to try to fix the door I found the car had new Alpine speakers :super

995681_593018927404986_1104205446_n.jpg

So I fixed the front bumper but crushed the door got the AC out but busted my fingers up pretty good long story short I spent all day working on the car and the only thing I really did was just piss myself off

Did some side jobs today so I got alittle money so I went to the parts store and got some oil for the trans, slave cylinder, radiator cap, aftermarket boost gauge, and a better valve cover vent filter thin the one I had

There is a really good video on youtube pf someone replacing 3kgt vr4 valve seals with head on car. Ill try to find it

As others have said you NEED to re-circulate the bov unless you are running a gm maf or speed density.. I would also suggest going back to athe stock unit. I have run greddy type s, turbosx, and a few diff ebay ones and the 1g bov is by far the best

There is a really good video on youtube pf someone replacing 3kgt vr4 valve seals with head on car. Ill try to find it

As others have said you NEED to re-circulate the bov unless you are running a gm maf or speed density.. I would also suggest going back to athe stock unit. I have run greddy type s, turbosx, and a few diff ebay ones and the 1g bov is by far the best

Think you guys are right about the BOV it just don't crack as hard as the factory one I did have a TurboSx one on my old 89 Probe GT that I liked but id still like to try a Greddy BOV just for sh*ts and giggles...

As for re-circulating the BOV the car don't even realize its not hooked up and doesn't run any different with it on or off and I like the way it looks so on that note ill keep that as-is at lest till the car gives me a reason to hook it back up...

My new Voodoo MBC come today

988658_594317970608415_21577791_n.jpg

1005690_594317973941748_1869689703_n.jpg

The paper said to hook it up to the intake after the t.body but I was short on time and zip-ties so I just ran it like 99.999% of people do thin I tied it off to the fan for easy access ill try it out like this but if it acts up ill run it to the intake like it says

580412_594317977275081_906454370_n.jpg

Here you can see the new valve cover filter, radiator cap, and boost controller I also installed the new slave cylinder earlier and filled the trans with some new oil

532499_594318003941745_2004579596_n.jpg

Think you guys are right about the BOV it just don't crack as hard as the factory one I did have a TurboSx one on my old 89 Probe GT that I liked but id still like to try a Greddy BOV just for sh*ts and giggles...

As for re-circulating the BOV the car don't even realize its not hooked up and doesn't run any different with it on or off and I like the way it looks so on that note ill keep that as-is at lest till the car gives me a reason to hook it back up...
Listen to big bird. You have no idea what you are talking about. Your dsm is not like skynet, it is not self-aware nor is it fooled by your cunning failure to recirculate. The car is actually designed to meter the air that runs through the circuit. When you fail to recirculate, your ecu assumes it is still there, which it isn't. This causes your car to run like shit. But enjoy your cool "wooosh" because that is what is really important. To be honest, people will start taking your build thread seriously once you listen to people and recirculate.

I dont know why people keeps saying the sane thing, in some cars works and others it doesnt, a friend of mine has a 1990 gsx as i do, his car had the same mods as mine, he was venting without issues, but in my case i just couldnt do it without problems, it was his daily driver and pull great times at the track, i know its not supposed to be vented but he never had any troubles.

Anyways keep going bro, looks like your liking your dsm, im at the same boat, just trying to fix everything before an engine regresh and a nicer turbo setup.

Everyone please... I don't clam to know DSM's thats why I joined the forum but just because I don't know DSM's please don't take me for a fool iv worked on cars sins I was just out of diapers all kinds off cars im a mechanic by trade and im damn good at what I do but clearly I can't possibly know every thing about every car once again thats why I joined the forum I already knew that the factory BOV was probably going to be better car companies spend millions and millions on R&D so of coarse a cheap $30 eBay BOV is going to suck and the Greddy mite not be that much better but im not a racer I do this stuff for fun so to me that little bit of bling the Greddy BOV offers is more impotent thin going .01 faster in the 1/4mile its all just for fun and its the same deal with the BOV plug if I didn't think it was going to work I would of took it right back off but its not like I said the car don't run any different with it on or off its a happy little car that could use some valve seals and an exhaust

The new Accel wires finally showed up

600304_594736343899911_1394477515_n.jpg

There alittle thicker than the stock wires

1001158_594736363899909_20320407_n.jpg

All crammed in

1012120_594736357233243_836277758_n.jpg

Its one more step closer I guess

996836_594736373899908_1663331454_n.jpg

O and I forgot that when I put the new slave cylinder in that it still catch's in 1st gear im hopping the new oil helps out but im thinking its the sink-row that lines up the gears

Last edited:
What you should do before you start pulling the head off again to replace the valve stem seals. Is to check if your turbo has shaft play. Its possbile there's a bad o ring seal and its leaking. Here's a good turbo rebuild. The guy listed the price and gave the name where he bought the rebuild kit. Notice you have the same turbo in the video so this another bonus for you.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSZtP949JHU]How to Rebuild a Turbo - Part 1 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqXe0ln7-WQ]How to Rebuild a Turbo - Part 2 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]
Still replace the valve seals, better to do it than later on.

You may want to sometime reading on the 1G BoV about the 1g Crush bov and the Dogde mod. Also, lower your battery, clean your engine bay up abit more.

Dont forget to check your o2 sensors, you would need a tuning tool and a wideband. There's good reviews of the Evo scan tool on a budget.

Hey just wondering how the CX racing kit is holding up? I had the kit at one point it wasn't bad at all. I do think the kit would be better with diffrent couplers and clamps. If you plan on keeping it you should upgrade them to something more durable i always poped mine off and even broke the clamps from over torquing. as for the recirculating the BOV Its a pain in the butt. I had to cut up radiator hoses and try to rig one up. In my opinion I would get a wideband hooked up and see how your A/F Ratios are. The car is looking great though man keep it up. Oh and I think you should get a clip for your MBC and you can take bolt it to where your AC fan was that way its out of the way and looks clean.

Ya them couplers and clamps are pretty much crap but they seem fine at lest for now and id like to get a wideband but I just dont got the money for the one I want right now so ill just pick up a normal air/fuel meter till I get more cash flow

Picked up a new Sunpro boost gauge last week and at the same time I also ordered 2 gauge pods going to put the boost in one and I also ordered a new Sunpro air/fuel gauge the parts store didn't have one in stock for once :banghead well any way the gauge pods come today I was going to mount them on the A-pillar but there to big so I put them on the dash gauge bezel witch looks pretty good and its a cheap easy part to swap out if I ever decide to take the gauges out... Ill see about pics later

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back