The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

my heater doesnt blow hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrosby

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2002
Des_Moines_Iowa
What would make my heater not blow hot? Now that its getting cold out ive noticed that my heater just doesnt blow hot. Could it be the thermostat? Any ideas would be appriciated.

Make sure the coolant hoses are going from your engine to the firewall. They could had been removed by a previous owner. This is how the heater core gets hot coolant. Also make sure you have a proper ratio or coolant to water mixture. These heater core hoses are thin and can freeze in cold weather. Then check the dial and flapper mechanism that enables your dash dials to change from hot to cold. They are link by little metal rods. One could have come out of place or broken.

my m8s 92 pontiac grandam had this problem the the heater core was stopped up and only got a little warm. we replaced the heater core and it got nice and tosty from then on.

my money is on your hreater core and begin u have a 91 i bet its time for a new heater core.

my m8s 92 pontiac grandam had this problem the the heater core was stopped up and only got a little warm. we replaced the heater core and it got nice and tosty from then on.

my money is on your hreater core and begin u have a 91 i bet its time for a new heater core.
you could be right. Mabey over the rest of the winter i will take care of that. Thanx for all the input on this.

so its been getting colder and colder in N.Y.

Whem I used to start up my 97GS-T it would be tropicaly hot within 5-10 min. Now, it will blow ice cold until i start driving for a while, and, when I slow down (stop sign, red light) it will start to blow cold again!

Any ideas? Searched forums coudlnt find anything to relevant.

-Engine temp normal.
-Coolant level normal.
-NO other problems...

Googled it- Bad waterpump possible???

:confused:

Sounds like possibly a clogged heater core. I`d say failing water pump (I`ve seen that before), however the engine temp. is normal, & no coolant loss. If the only symptom is no heat at lower rpm`s, I`d say clogged heater core. :talon:

Your fan isnt on all the time is it? The engine would build heat driving, but quickly lose it while sitting if it were..

Low coolant, clogged core, or air trapped in the core/lines. At idle the water pump is not pushing as much coolant, increasing RPM's gets the coolant flowing better ( low or plugged symptoms ).
"Burp" the coolant system ( with the heater temp on full Hot and in recirc ). Once full do a pressure test, maybe compare to another healthy car.

i have same problem! my car never really blows warm air unless your driving then its somewhat warmer, then at a stop its ice cold air. and it doesnt blow the air very hard. let us know what it is if you get it figured out so i can fix mine also LOL.

Im also going to say check the coolant level. A thermostat that has failed OPEN will get cooler while driving and when they fail closed overheating will most likely be issue

Wow, SO it turned out my coolant WAS low, even though I had checked it not much earlier. Anways, toped it off, works great. I guess the next step is finding out where all the coolant went...Probably somewhere where the missing sock from the dryer ends up I suppose...

Wow, SO it turned out my coolant WAS low, even though I had checked it not much earlier. Anways, toped it off, works great. I guess the next step is finding out where all the coolant went...Probably somewhere where the missing sock from the dryer ends up I suppose...

LOL @ the sock. Glad you find that problem. Had a feeling it was that.

Have you seen any spots under your car on the ground when you move it ?

Did you also fill your overflow bottle, if you have one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back