The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

my heater doesnt blow hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrosby

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2002
Des_Moines_Iowa
What would make my heater not blow hot? Now that its getting cold out ive noticed that my heater just doesnt blow hot. Could it be the thermostat? Any ideas would be appriciated.

I don't think it is the HG, I am not showing any of the symptoms, but there have been many who have never shown the syptoms and it was blown. I was just hoping that heater not working at all would be a direct corralation to the over heating. It did go out roughly the same time it started overheating. But it was intermitent. The heat would work, then it wouldn't. It was kind of going in and out before it finally crapped.

Well there is a possibility that the 2 are connected.

It really sounds like a thermostat issue to me. Test the thermostat as stated above, and if it is good, get the system flow checked to see if there is a clog.

My thermostat went out this weekend acually. I had to drive 10 miles to get it home. The heat was working flawlessly because the car was so hot anyway. I had to keep the heat wide open just to keep the car from peaking out the gauge. Thats why i dont think it has anything to do with the coolant. Mine was completely full, the overflow tank as well. Hes saying his heater is not working which is what makes me suspect the head gasket. I can assure you its "probably" not thermostat. If the thermostat was COMPLETELY gutted which would mean its always open, that would make your heater not work. But it was also make your car run very cool because it would always be letting through the coolant/water. I hope its not your headgasket man, but if you expect the worse and it happens to be something else, then your not as disappointed.

what kinda prob will you run into if you dont have a thermo at all?

if its not there.. wont it always be coolin your shit down?

I turned my heat selector to cold then it would only turn slightly back and stop so like an idiot I kept playing with it and finly got mad because it was cold and got forceful. now it turns both ways it is always on cold and it won't stay clear to one side or the other only if I hold it. It is like I have to hold it to one side or the other and it likes to stay in the middle but only cold air will come out.

Thanks,
Brandon

Get under the dash and move the mechanism. The cable is probably messed up. My buddies car did something similar. We took the console apart trying to fix it, only to find out that the mechanism can be reached without taking anything apart. Look around the pedals, but more towards the center console area.

Ok I am at work right now but when I get home I will take a look Thank you it is cold outside. :)

yep got under the dash and then moved the braket with my hand and got heat I think my cable is messed up but not broke becuase it will move to cold with the seletor but not back so I will probably take it apart and get a new cable and whatever else I need

Thanks,
Brandon

I think my heater lines might be backwards. If some one could tell me how they are supposed to go that would be great.

My heater is cold. warms up a little and I thought is was just my thermostat (180*) so I put in a 192*. Still the same but my temp guage reads straight up now. I did do a motor swap. But while cruising it will be kinda warm. But when I slow down or pull it out of gear and coast for a while it gets cold. I dont think you can switch the heater core hoses but you might? It seems like when I am cruising its pumping "cold" water into it and when I coast, (high speed low water pumpage) It gets even colder water from the radiator having water stay in it longer.

Its gettin into single digits at night and I would love to have a warm heater.

And how do I "burp" the system.

The system doesn't need burping on a DSM, but squeezing the lower radiator hose will do it. Once your cooling system is filled, and so long as your radiator overflow and its tubing aren't leaking, the system will burp itself after being run and cooled three or four times.
The heater core doesn't really care which way the water goes through it.
The simple thing to look for is to make sure the heat control door is working, that the control wire hasn't gotten bent or disconnected. DSMs do not use a valve in the heater circuit, so the core's always as warm as the engine- the water's circulating in there all the time, and temperature is controlled by how much of the ventilation air you run through the core.
If the door's working properly, the core is probably dirty. You could try flushing it. I don't want to think about having to replace one.
You might want to ask a radiator shop about flushing the heater core. Whatever they'd charge, it'd suck less than doing the heater job.
Put your thermostat back to stock.

Once again WOW! I will look for this door and check it. More rep points for the master.:thumb:

I also looked into a new heater core and it would be about 100 bucks.

Well I flushed the heater core. No difference. I notice though if I blew threw the hoses it seemed more restrictive than it should be. Water flowed through it ok, but it was kinda hard to blow through. It heats up kinda, I guess it blows about 80* air when cruising at 65 then gets cold when coasting. My guess is the heate core is half way plugged. When the water pump is pumping more it is warmer. When pumping less it is colder, less flow throught the heater core.

So monday I will go to the parts store and buy a 100 dollar heater core and plan for a long night taking my dash out.

That doesn't sound right. Did you use an acid flush on the core, the kind that needs to be neutralized afterward? It's not that big a deal, it's over the counter, but I'd try that before starting the core swap.

Hell, I'd buy a heated motorcycle vest before doing a heater core swap.

Are you sure the core's plumbed properly? Can you find another DSM to check it against? This just isn't sounding right.

for some reason that i cant find in the forums or figure out myself but my heater isnt blowing hot its kinda warm at times but nothing that it should be at. what causes the heater to bluow cold? and i know its not a hg :)

Check coolant level or your heater core could be bad/going bad or thermostat could be g oing/is bad....

I have similar problems with another car in the past. The heater core could be clogged. After topping off your coolant you could check to see if both the hoses (in and out) of the firewall leading to the heater core are hot.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back