The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

My car is hard to start sometimes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talontsiboy24

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 28, 2009
60457, Illinois
Sometimes when i go start my car up it will crank over n over n over but wont turn on then i will stop for a few seconds and try again and it takes a couple cranks and turns on but takes a few seconds to get the idle where it should be this only seems to happen when the temps outside are 50f and above on coldstarts.

I know its not these parts because i just put them in:
Spark plugs have 2000 miles
Ignition wires have 2300 miles
Brand new alternator n belt just installed 1000miles
Battery Tested and putting out excellent volts.
New oem pcv valve 2300 miles

This been goin on even before i changed these parts it does it only once in a while and but most of the time it will fire right up in one crank no matter what the temp is outside.

The fuel pressure solenoid and purge control solenoid valve has been deleted can this be why my car is hard to start in warmer temps?

Also noticed my idle is lower in warmer outside temperatures then in colder can it be my mafs goin bad or this coolant temp sensor? Like today it was 70f and the idle wasnt as high as it would be in 30f.

Last edited:
The cold start I was talking about has to do with the engine and nothing to do with the outside temp. Cold start meaning that the engine has been off for several hours or more. But since your issue is apparently related to to the outside temp and you have no way of seeing your fuel pressure anyways, you can dissregard my post.

let me correct myself here my issue is at cold start and the issue occurs with the temps changing outside i mean now temps are in the 20s n 30s and car fires right up and runs fine but when its warmer outside say like 50s and up it sometimes has to crank over n over n over in order to start thats my issue im seeing with the car.

I removed the connector that plugs onto the coolant temp sensor and connected my multimeter to the 2 ports on the coolant temp sensor and i got a reading of 4.99-5.04 and this was with the car off and dead cold and the multimeter was on 20k ohms so what do u guys think?

This is the resistance that it should measure if it is working:
0*/32* 5.9 ohms
20*/68* 3.5 ohms
40*/104* 2.7 ohms
80*/176* 0.3 ohms

What was the temp where the car is?

it was in the 40s outside when i checked it. How do i make sure the connector is working properly?
I found this on tuners:Unplug the black plastic clip and turn the key ON (do not start the car). Connect the negative probe of your DVOM to a good ground on the car, and the positive to one of the plugs in the clip. With key ON you should see approx. 4.5-4.9 volts. You may have to try both of the plugs until you find the one that sees voltage – one sees voltage and the other does not. But should i set the multimeter on 20k ohms or 20dcv?

Last edited by a moderator:
it was in the 40s outside when i checked it. How do i make sure the connector is working properly?
I found this on tuners:Unplug the black plastic clip and turn the key ON (do not start the car). Connect the negative probe of your DVOM to a good ground on the car, and the positive to one of the plugs in the clip. With key ON you should see approx. 4.5-4.9 volts. You may have to try both of the plugs until you find the one that sees voltage – one sees voltage and the other does not. But should i set the multimeter on 20k ohms or 20dcv?

Looks like you answered your own question on how to test the voltage.

On the multi-meter you are testing voltage not resistance. Ohms is resistance.

One of the wires is yellow with a green strip which goes back to pin #20 on the ECU and the other is green with a black stripe which goes back to pin #24 on the ECU (sensor ground).

Looks like you answered your own question on how to test the voltage.

On the multi-meter you are testing voltage not resistance. Ohms is resistance.

One of the wires is yellow with a green strip which goes back to pin #20 on the ECU and the other is green with a black stripe which goes back to pin #24 on the ECU (sensor ground).

so the cts is working right from the readings i got? as for the connector do i put the multimeter to 20volts and can i use the negative terminal on the battery as a ground or has to be somethin else?

so the cts is working right from the readings i got? as for the connector do i put the multimeter to 20volts and can i use the negative terminal on the battery as a ground or has to be somethin else?

Your reading sounds about right for the temperature. Yes, the 20 volts setting will work just fine. You can ground it to the battery, the chassis, or even the ground wire itself (the green/black wire on the CTS).

Ok so its def not the coolant temp sensor or connector those have been checked out completley today and they are working 100% so whatelse should i look for now? also there are no trouble lights on in the dash and they are working i know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back