The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G My car fires for a split second but wont start? (SOLVED)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynxe

Proven Member
Feb 19, 2015
Ottumwa, Iowa
Quick summary
Fully built 9:1 compression
stock cams
speed density
rc1200s
hx40
The engine is fresh, just put it in the car. Im trying to start it and it'll crank and suddenly stop, followed by a grinding noise from the starter on the flexplate. I have to crank it and give it gas and the engine will backfire, and release lots of black smoke from the exhaust. (I have no exhaust pipe on the car atm, its just the hotside of the turbo). When the car fires, I can hear all 4 cylinders fire and then back to cranking. Ideas?

im not an expert but in my opinion, once you put the engine that are not stock, I will try get it tuned before try to crank it. You are putting a lot of time and ton of money into it so why risk it.

im not an expert but in my opinion, once you put the engine that are not stock, I will try get it tuned before try to crank it. You are putting a lot of time and ton of money into it so why risk it.
I have black box ecu, and already have a basemap for this setup. It's not tune related

What engine 7 or 6bolt what year car? Are you sure you have the injectors setup right? Make sure the crank and cam sensors are good and plugged in. Also fill out your profile for the car so we can see all the mods you have. Can really help us answer ? For ya ;).

What engine 7 or 6bolt what year car? Are you sure you have the injectors setup right? Make sure the crank and cam sensors are good and plugged in. Also fill out your profile for the car so we can see all the mods you have. Can really help us answer ? For ya ;).
Its a 7 bolt and yes im sure. Also the car is on e85

Oh
Why it helps to know what year your car is ;)
Its a 97. My roomates car is also a 97. Im using his ecu. And his ignitor. Maybe you can tell me why i have to reverse the wires even though they're the same??

I used alot of assembly lube up top
Obviously they never were filled or we would be talking about....drum roll.....bent valves LOL. Very glad you got it started bro!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back