The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

my 91 TSi AWD build progress.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrawlinZX14

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2011
Carpentersville, Illinois
I intend to add some pix later once im not cold and annoyed from todays events, but here is the run down.

Bought the car about a 2 months ago. 91 tsi awd with under 105k on it for 2500. Its an auto but i can cope with that for now. Purchased it from a kid in highschool and it came with a set of rims (IDK brand really) 3" turbo back exhaust with ported O2 and a dejon intake tube. That was about it.

Since then, I have installed a boost gauge, and a set of 680 injectors. Also had the eprom chipped and tuned for the new injectors.

This weekend I started the swap to the 50 trim PTE SCM5051 i think.

The 13b was working great but unfortunately with the open exhaust, I was getting horrible boost spikes. Even with the turbo directly to the WG I was hitting 22+psi.

So yesterday I started the install of my FMIC. Its bolted up, and piping ran. Not sure of the brand of the FMIC but it has APEXi scribed at the end of the tank. I would guess an ebay special tho since I got it with the car. Piping I picked up off ebay and is decent quality piping. Good thick walled at least.

With the piping I have a SSQ bov and a GM MAF. EGR has been eliminated from the car as well

I have an aeromotive AFPR ready to go in, I just have yet to install it.

Today I put the new turbo in, looped the coolant lines from the 13b since the new turbo is oil cooled only. I did not need to adjust the water pipe to fit the turbo at all, in fact all I had to do was reroute the coolant line to the oil filter housing as it was hitting the compressor side and didnt want it to rub and break. So all I have left to do is run the oil lines and she is installed completely. Unfortunately it has to wait until I can pickup a strait fitting for the oil pan drain from the turbo. I ordered a 90* on accident and it is hitting the bottom of the block.

Next is going to be to install a couple monitoring gauges for oil pres, temp and voltage in the open space above the radio. I will try and get some pix up tomorrow of my progress so far.

Last edited:
IMG_20111228_150624.jpg

IMG_20111228_150654.jpg

IMG_20111228_150700.jpg

IMG_20111228_150745.jpg

IMG_20111228_150949.jpg

So this is post 50 trim install and FMIC with 2.5" pipes.

TY, she is a work in progress. I am planning to do a lot to it, but it is all in due time. My next project is a custom intake tube to mate up to the air box I plan to build.

I am going to talk to some local shops too, and see if I cant get a better lower intercooler pipe with a tighter radius on it. The one I have is hitting my radiator and I really dont like it. Plus I need to wrap it and my O2 housing and DP as im sure its saturating my intake charge with heat. Granted im on low boost at the moment, I just dont want to risk it as I add more to it.

keep up the good work! you have a really nice setup and its good that you take your time with everything. just stay patient and it'come together nicely. and happy new year! LOL

LOL I am the least patient person ever. If it was not for my son and having to take care of him and all, I would have gutted this car and had my race build pretty much done by now. I have a long way to go on this, but its a work in progress. Its proven to be rather fun so far. I have a bunch more I am in the works on, and hoping to have her more completed by MOD in bloomington. Def wont have her looking the way I want yet, but paint will come later.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back