The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Mtx-l vs AEM x series

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red_devil

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond, Virginia
I've seen comparisons of the MTXL vs the older UEGO but not the new X series wideband. Does any one have a recommendation?

I'm currently running a MTX-L and it's constantly had issues for 4 years. I've replaced everything other than the gauge itself. So I'll either buy a new one or switch to AEM

I've used an AEM wideband with link and got it to work/calibrate pretty accurate after changing my voltage and switch point in the settings. Had to use user defined wideband.
Wiring for the AEM wb is very simple compared to the MTXL. For the innovative MTXL they recommend tapping in for power and ground from the ecu. I did this and didn't have to mess with any settings. Reads accurate. Heck even ecmlink says they have many problems with AEM logging correctly. Maybe the new ones are better. Let us know.

I’ve always like the innovative wideband. I know the sensor used to be a bit hit or miss but I’ve never had a problem out of them. And like said above the aem will give you trouble sometimes on DSMLink. I believe they both use the same o2 sensor just the gauge and everything is different.

That was the older model. I'm hoping the new x series will log better. My MTX l has been a piece of crap. I'll post back after install and see how it logs. Build quality is definitely better than Innovative.

Innovate is the way to go, they have the best accuracy and they will actually throw a code if something is not kosher in the system whereas the others will just let you believe everything is alright all the while giving you an inaccurate output.

That's what I believed but mine has had issues the entire time I've owned it. Look it up online you will see a lot of complaints about them. They log with link ok but other than that I'm not impressed.

About 90% of the issues with the Innovate can be traced back to grounding issues.

I've been through 2 sensors, rewired everything 3 times (good solder, shrink tube, chassis ground with ground strew) took the gauge apart to inspect and clean it, recalibrated in free air multiple times and it still isn't working correctly.

I've found that I get the best results with WBO2 performance when wiring with the controller ground connected directly to the battery negative with it's own, separate dedicated ground wire. No grounding through the chassis or using ground points. Doesn't matter which brand.

Well the X series is in. The only issue I had was deciding where to ground the brown wire. AEM recommends using the ecu ground or as a last resort to the gauge ground. I did the latter since I didn't want to hack into the ecu again and my gauge ground is much bigger and straight the the chassis. Seems to be working fine so far.

Logging wise I just selected ECMlinks old UEGO setting and it matches pretty good if not better than my MTXL. There is about half a second of lag time from gauge to link.

AEM X series
Pros
-Better quality
-smaller and lighter
-can be removed with wires in place
-doesn't require a dimmer switch due to night sensor
-can select afr, lambda, o2% from the gauge

Cons
-no narrowband simulation
-faceplate needs to be flipped to scale lamda
-does not come with different face or bezel colors
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• 1209171236.jpg
    1209171236.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 1209171236a.jpg
    1209171236a.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 325
Reviving this slightly old thread to see if you can give an update on how the sensor is working out for you. I am hoping to go with the AEM x-series instead of the Innovate. A friend of mine has had nothing but issues with his on his Evo X and their customer support is crap. We have had to replace the sensor 3 times in 2 months. The car doesn't burn anything and is tuned properly.

That and I overall just prefer AEM gauges. My old UEGO was logging off by .1 but it never bothered me. I'm really hoping that this gauge is dead on out of the box and is fast responding with no stupid error codes.

Just gonna leave this hear. I never had problems logging my UEGO with Link on my 2g. It was off the gauge by .1 afr point. But it unless you really need to get single last bit of bleeding edge power then thats okay, you can tune around it.

Now I have had a lc1 that was a pain in the ass until I just ran a ground wire directly to the battery, like the instructions tell you too.

And I've got a mtx-l now and its great. This is the gauge I'd recommend if you are using DSM Link, or Evoscan. It reads down to 8.0 and up to 22. It outputs to both an analog output or a serial connection.

Reviving this slightly old thread to see if you can give an update on how the sensor is working out for you. I am hoping to go with the AEM x-series instead of the Innovate. A friend of mine has had nothing but issues with his on his Evo X and their customer support is crap. We have had to replace the sensor 3 times in 2 months. The car doesn't burn anything and is tuned properly.

That and I overall just prefer AEM gauges. My old UEGO was logging off by .1 but it never bothered me. I'm really hoping that this gauge is dead on out of the box and is fast responding with no stupid error codes.
Still working great. I will probably do a re calibration soon as I will be changing my tune. Still seems to be spot on and logs better than my MTX-L.

Still working great. I will probably do a re calibration soon as I will be changing my tune. Still seems to be spot on and logs better than my MTX-L.

So the X series has to be calibrated similar to the MTX-L? And that is great news. I will be picking one up here in the next week.

So the X series has to be calibrated similar to the MTX-L? And that is great news. I will be picking one up here in the next week.
AEM say it never needs to be recalibrated but to do so just remove the sensor, select recal with the button and confirm. No dissconnecting and turning power on/off like the MTXL

AEM say it never needs to be recalibrated but to do so just remove the sensor, select recal with the button and confirm. No dissconnecting and turning power on/off like the MTXL

Awesome. Thanks. I can not wait to go get mine and get it installed. I wonder if it can be used with the EGR input on the 1g ECU unlike the previous AEM gauge.

Quick question.... I just bought my X series and I am in the process of getting it all wired up. When you installed your gauge, where did you hook the brown wire for the 5v analog output ground? Because with the old style AEM, I did not have the analog output ground. Only the signal wire to the ECU to log with ECMlink. Is the ground wire necessary for logging with ECMlink?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back